Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Snoochems

Can your Steam account be banned?

Hi all,

I've heard that it is possible for Valve to ban your account. I'm not sure what this really means, and am looking for some clarification.

I have purchased more games than I care to even count on Steam. I'm just wondering if Valve can just say "sorry, you can't play these games anymore, we're taking them off you... thanks for your money."
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Amander

Your Steam account can be locked. Unless you did something wrong (e.g. tried to use stolen credit cards), your account isn't that likely to be locked and even if, you can get it unlocked within few days.
You can also get your account VAC-banned. This means that you won't be able to play VAC-protected games online. But this is entirely your responsibility as VAC bans only for modifications to core game files (which you shouldn't do anyway) and for cheating (which you totally should not do)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Pheace

Yes they can.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
Ancient Power

Yes, but they won't unless you have done something wrong.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
T@F

depends on how bad they look at tbh.

just receiving stolen gifts or charge back for the gift can cause a account ban.
using stolen credit cards.
Trying hi-jacked someone's account.
Selling ya account.
but tbh most account bans seems to go by a case to case bases i think.

but tbh as long as you don't do out bad,the only worst that could happen is a vac ban,maybe you're fault for using cheats,or someone else on ya account using cheats.

Last edited by T@F: 08-21-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #6
Amander

Erm, gifts are not stolen. You can only send someone else a gift.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
T@F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
Erm, gifts are not stolen. You can only send someone else a gift.
I think you will find ppl receiving gifts that's been use with a stolen cc or charge back have had there account locked.
Until they contacted support to see if it can be fixed.

Also it says in the steam agreement do not receive gifts from unknown sources.

read.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5406-WFZC-5519

Notice the part
Any accounts tied to a redeemed gift from a fraudulent source may be disabled.

Last edited by T@F: 08-21-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
MetalMagic

Banned
I always keep a copy and crack handy. Never know what valve is up to.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Snoochems

The reason I ask is because I was interested in this:
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/upcoming

There are pretty big price differences for the exact same 1's and 0's depending on where you live.

But someone has suggested to me that if I buy a steam product from another region, my account, which is so far full of 100% legit, my-region bought games, can be banned. Just doesn't sound right.

I'm not hacking, stealing, cheating. I am only interested in getting a product at the best price.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Amander

You won't get "banned" because you have games from other region.
But Valve don't allow buying in other regions, you'll have to ask some buddy in another country to gift you the game.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochems View Post
Hi all,

I've heard that it is possible for Valve to ban your account. I'm not sure what this really means, and am looking for some clarification.

I have purchased more games than I care to even count on Steam. I'm just wondering if Valve can just say "sorry, you can't play these games anymore, we're taking them off you... thanks for your money."
Oh you don't need to worry about that. Because Valve have NEVER ever done that to someone.

The only reason Valve would ever ban someone manually is if they personally encountered the person abusing glitches or flaws in the system and so far it only happened once.

Well twice actually when you count the Golden Wrench part.

Otherwise Valve will let VAC deal with banning account which means you are just not able to play on VAC secured servers. In MW2 you're locked from MP.

If you're talking about disabled account you can also be pretty safe because most of them are solved within some days. But you or someone on your account need to do something really bad then.

Also I wouldn't try to buy games outside of your country on Steam, if you live in UK you should pay the UK price.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
{Yotsuba}

But someone has suggested to me that if I buy a steam product from another region, my account, which is so far full of 100% legit, my-region bought games, can be banned. Just doesn't sound right.

It won't be. If you really don't want to get shafted on the regional pricing, have a friend living in the US (for example) gift the game to you.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochems View Post
The reason I ask is because I was interested in this:
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/upcoming

There are pretty big price differences for the exact same 1's and 0's depending on where you live.

I'm not hacking, stealing, cheating. I am only interested in getting a product at the best price.
That will not apply to you, as you will not be able to purchase the game from another region if you are not in the said region when making the purchase. Unless of course you purchase a retail version of the game in a different area which may be region locked - and if that was to be the case you simply would not be able to install the game . . . your account would not disabled. Retail games which are region locked are indicated as being region locked on the box.

You may be getting confused with the gifting process also - it is a violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement to sell or trade gifts. As it is a violation of the SSA, doing so may get your account disabled so it should not be done. The gifting system is in place to allow people give gifts to other Steam users - not to circumnavigate the region restrictions / pricing differences that game publishers on Steam have in place.

Steam Purchase Gifts and Guest Passes

Quote:
May I sell or trade gift subscriptions?

Steam Gift Purchases can not be sold or traded. Attempting to sell or trade a gift subscription is a violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement and may result in your account being permanently disabled.
At the end of the day Valve do not disable accounts on a whim.

Last edited by Sierra Oscar: 08-21-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
Snoochems

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

It won't be. If you really don't want to get shafted on the regional pricing, have a friend living in the US (for example) gift the game to you.
Lets just say it is possible to purchase Steam games from another region. Is it an account locking/banning/deleting offense?

I read the T&C's and it doesn't specifically say. BUT on SteamPrices it says:

Quote:
How can I obtain products from foreign Steam Stores?

You cannot purchase anything in other Steam Stores than your own. Valve asks for billing adresses and the store software tests your statements! It checks your location (determined by your IP address) and complains if the country stated doesn't match, compares your location to the Credit Card's place of issue and also verifies the information given by PayPal if you choose that payment option.

Before you ask: Yes, there are ways to circumvent some of the queries, but we won't give any information on this. We don't want to be blamed if your account gets banned or locked.

The only legit way to obtain something from a foreign Steam Store is to get a gift.
So the authors of Steamprices seem to think it doing so can mean your account can be banned.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Circumnavigating Steam's background checks will more than likely get your account disabled. The checks are in place for a good reason. I don't think it would be wise to try it. If you want to confirm this, you should contact support - as only support will be able to provide you with 100% accurate answers when it comes to legal questions in relation to Steam useage.

Quote:
You are entitled to use the Steam Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Steam Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Steam Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Steam Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Steam Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Steam Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Steam Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.
Steam SA

Last edited by Sierra Oscar: 08-21-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion