Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #76
*OMC*Prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Nakedgun View Post
+1
Same problem.
I get this error message. I was using the beta before the update
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/c.../steamfail.jpg
On several of the dozen or so times I've uninstalled / reinstalled to try and fix this problem, I've gotten this error. There is another thread with possible work arounds. Search under steam.exe not deleted. But that didn't solve the core problem of steam not starting.

The problems may be related.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #77
DarkLite123

Have you tried disabling UAC to deal with steam.exe issues? (apologies if that's a stupid question)
DarkLite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #78
GIGANTOsauRUS

Dear Russian Users!

Please, respect our oversea friend and write on INTERNATIONAL language.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Дорогие Русские пользователи!

Пожалуйста, проявите уважение к заморским друзьям и пишите на международном языке.

P.S. Транслит вообще убил меня... Ё-маё... %))

P.S. I have got last updates, Windows 7 (Ultimate), x64bit, Steam updated to Beta. Working good fro me.

Last edited by GIGANTOsauRUS: 08-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #79
*OMC*Prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite123 View Post
Have you tried disabling UAC to deal with steam.exe issues? (apologies if that's a stupid question)
Good suggestion, but UAC is disabled.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #80
Masive Gamer

Still no fix xp pro to computers sp3...

I have over 100+ game cant access on steam...this is not good it is not your xp install...it work perfect be fore this update that broke all the game you have bought,,,because of the steam software....as of now i will never bay any digital download game from any company...its over for me...whether its 5$ or 60$ ...if i cant get it on a retail disc with out digital download software added ....it is not worth buying...they make a mistake you loose..or turn it off for your older operating system...it is quit obvious im not a happy camper...buy the way i can play all my reatail game with no digital down load....it is convienet to get game on steam but u will pay a price...you are always better to buy game not digital down...load you choose your updates...not forced...
Masive Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #81
jmccaskey

Valve
We believe that this issue is somehow machine specific to some sort of specific configuration issue. Our XP test machines all update and run the new client ok, so this isn't a generic Steam doesn't work on XP SP3 problem. We also aren't seeing any significant drop in active connected users running XP, so we know this is working ok for the majority of users.

For those of you getting the delete of Steam.exe failed error, this occurs sometimes when Steam.exe itself is updated (which is not done every update, but was as part of this updte). It is usually caused by one of two things:

1) Filesystem permissions issue where the Steam process doesn't have the rights to delete the file and replace it with a new one

2) Antivirus/security software holding a lock on the file while Steam is trying to update it.

So one suggestion is to disable any security software and close all unnecessary running programs then attempt the update again. If that fails also make sure that the permissions on the file are permissive to allow all users delete/write access. If that still fails try rebooting your machine, some program may still have a reference to Steam.exe and the safest bet to ensure those are cleared is a full reboot.

If this all fails please post all of the following info:

1) Operation system, both version, and 64bit vs 32bit
2) Service Pack level for operating system
3) CPU/Motherboard installed
4) Network card make/model
5) Antivirus/Security software in use
6) Filesystem in use (fat32 or nttfs)
7) When the update fails are .mdmp files created in your Steam folder? Check the timestamps to make sure they are being created and aren't just old files left in your install directory.

Last edited by jmccaskey: 08-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.
jmccaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #82
THE Nakedgun

Banned
To be honest I don't think it was wise rolling out change like this on a Friday when you and we know Support doesnt work weekends, I have yet to get a reply form them when I sent the message at 15:00 GMT which is early morning USA time.
THE Nakedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #83
snypR

1) XP 32bit
2) SP2
3) AMD/Gigabyte
4) Onboard
5) None
6) NTFS
7) Update doesnt fail and no error-dumps or such things are created in the Steam folder, yet there is a file created in C:\dumps which could relate to this problem

http://www.file-upload.net/download-...640_1.dmp.html
Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #84
Altefnegy

1) Windows Xp Pro Version 2002 32Bit
2) SP2
3) Intel P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz/ASUS P4P800E Deluxe
4) Onboard
5) Avast 5
6) NTFS
7) Update completes, after completion there's no sign of steam running, just as a process. Can't play any games or do anything at all with steam.

Last edited by Altefnegy: 08-21-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #85
kugs

1) Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, 32bit
2) Service Pack 3
3) CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 620
MB - GeForce6100PM-M2
4) Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-G USB Dish Adapter
5) Windows Firewall (no AV active)
6) NTFS
7) No
kugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #86
BigE

1) Windows XP Professional Version 2002, 32bit
2) SP3
3) Intel Core2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13ghz, Asus mobo
4) USB wifi stick (Sitecom WL-182)
5) Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro (tried disabling)
6) ntfs
7) no
Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #87
wrightauk

1) Windows XP 32bit fresh install from OEM disc
2) SP2
3) Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz / ASUS P5N-E SLI
4) Belkin PCI wireless card
5) None, Windows firewall off (fresh OS install from OEM disc)
6) NTFS
7) I can't see any .mdmp files in the dir, as far as I can tell the update completes. It just leaves Steam.exe running in the task manager with no tray icon or windows and that's as far as it will go.

I appreciate that there is finally some feedback from within Valve. It would be great if you could keep this going and let your customers know what is going on.

Although Steam itself is a free service your customers have paid you to provide digital copies of games which we now cannot access as a result of a change that you have made.

Personally, I would suggest removing the latest update from the list of updates that install when a customer downloads and installs the client from scratch, as for me at least the client seems to be working as normal until the last update completes.

Numerous posters are reporting that they can use Steam without difficulty if they use an old copy of the client and don't restart the software to allow the update to apply. Seems to me that the latest update is not REQUIRED to use the service. I'm sure no one here blames Valve for wanting everyone to have the same version of Steam but wouldn't it be better to pull it, do some more QA/optional beta testing, and roll it out again when it's fixed?

Hopefully your post won't be the last one from a Valve employee and you will actually read this. Fingers-crossed.

Last edited by wrightauk: 08-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #88
KaFarMan

1) Win XP 64bit
2) SP2
3) Amd Athlon 64 X2 5600+/ Asus M2R32-MVP
4) Onboard
5) AVG Free Edition - (but tried also uninstalli, rebooting and reinstaling Steam without AV - same problem).
6) NTFS
7) No
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #89
vsgWarden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jD-PRPOHwE

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Processor 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
GeForce GTS 250 Video Card 1 GB
10 mb/s Si Fiber Lithuanian Internet
Windows 7 x86 32 bit

http://ipicture.ru/uploads/100821/ylm6oYKGtK.jpg

As you can see steam works, but impossible to open it.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1406802

Last edited by vsgWarden: 08-21-2010 at 12:36 PM.
vsgWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #90
*OMC*Prof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post
Email it to me at jmccaskey at valvesoftware.com. We'll analyze the dumps we get and hopefully we'll be able to understand why the process is hung for some of you. You may have to be patient as it may take us a few days to analyze and respond to the dump files.
Dump file "dumped" to your mailbox.

Since this spans multiple processors, OS, and video cards, I expect it will be a bear to trace. Thanks for the help!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips