Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL

Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
NalgasDLemur

Demo DRM and/or similar games?

I currently have no intention of buying the full game (Steam and SecuROM and GFWL? You have to be kidding me...), but I am kind of interested in the demo to see how the open-world stuff turned out and to decide whether I should keep an eye out for future similar games from the same developer (hopefully where they get the chance to actually make a full game out of it, because FUEL sounds kind of unfinished but like it has potential, from what I've heard).

I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not going to bother installing it if even the demo requires installing any SecuROM and/or GFWL crap. So...does anyone know if it does? I haven't really found anything one way or the other on the Internets, only stuff about the full game (and feel free to keep your opinions on SecuROM and GFWL to yourself; if you don't mind them or even like them, that's great, and I have no problem with that...I've just seen too many threads degenerate into yelling at each other about it already).

Also, I had a ton of fun driving around aimlessly at absurdly high and unsafe speeds in Burnout Paradise, sometimes even more so than doing the events themselves, but it's only one city, which only stays interesting for so long. I had kind of been hoping FUEL would fill the same role for me with both that kind of freedom and arcade-style controls (I just can't get into overly realistic racing/driving games for some reason), but now I'm not so sure. Anything else out there exist that's along those lines?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Rallymen007

I don't remember DRMs in the demo. And the DRMs in the game itself are pretty invisible, or don't change game experience. But, I won't try to change your mind on that.

FUEL is really fun, you can drive around like some crazy guy, at quite good speeds, drive offroad, jump off cliffs with a top higher than any building in Paradise City. But it have some problems. The biggest to me is the AI. In Legend difficulty, a racer with the same ing car as you can accelerate faster, and be 300m before you, even if you are racing like a boss. They can find shortcuts too. But, you can win (so far, 2 races were really hard because of this AI). Another strange thing, it's that the car have "life bars", you can take a frontal crash with a truck at 280 km/h, survive, and then crash in a little stone at 70 km/h.

This game is really fun, especially if you like freedom when driving. I bought it with the Codemasters Racing Pack when in sale (originally, it was for DiRT 2), and I don't regret this.

Go ahead, try the demo. If you like it enough, you may buy it On the other hand, I didn't really liked the demo, but loved the full game.
Rallymen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
NalgasDLemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallymen007 View Post
I don't remember DRMs in the demo. And the DRMs in the game itself are pretty invisible, or don't change game experience. But, I won't try to change your mind on that.

Go ahead, try the demo. If you like it enough, you may buy it On the other hand, I didn't really liked the demo, but loved the full game.
Cool. Thanks. I'll check it out and see what I think. I might even be willing to put up with the other stuff if the demo seems promising and it goes on sale cheap enough again, since it does sound like they worked out the limited activation/install issue at some point.
NalgasDLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
NalgasDLemur

The good news is that it runs great. The bad news is that there isn't a single fun thing about it. I hate the way the vehicles handle and the sounds they make, and the part of the map available to you in the demo is extremely bland. No wonder even people who like the full game don't like the demo much. Heh.
NalgasDLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL