Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > City of Heroes

Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
mindfray

whats the gamer population like?

I was thinking on buying this, but i don't know how strong the population is, that would be a factor in my decision to buy this mmorpg.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Zekiran

Well it's a very thriving population! The game's been out just over 6 years, and with Going Rogue on the list for the next couple weeks (eek it's coming so fast!) there's likely to be a lot of newcomers as well as players who've left that will be coming back to see the new stuff.

At the comic con this year I got to see some of it, and it's *FREAKING GORGEOUS*! I've been playing since July of 04, and I have to say that the Going Rogue stuff puts so much life into the product that it's unbelievable. Not just the graphics (which are STUNNING) but the stories and depth of characters.

On the live servers, there are 12 American servers and 4 for Europe (two English speaking, one french, one german) so be aware that if you're in Europe you're going to likely want the American version of the game - the Euro servers sadly are not as populated and unfortunately due to the language barriers in the codes, cannot be merged. :/ But, if you're on the other side of the puddle you'll have plenty of teaming to go around.

The game is extremely solo-friendly, more so with the newer material. However, there are still plenty of teaming opportunities like "Task forces" and strike forces for the villains, some amount of end-game raid content, and a new thing they've finally got back on the plate after years of fixing (it just wasn't ready for live) that involves multiple team options.

PVP in the City is not widely regarded as all that hot. However, it IS still fun, though you're going to find a lot of the PVP zones are reasonably empty on lower-pop servers.

Since there ARE twelve servers, you're looking at a very diverse bunch of personalities per server. Freedom is generally the most heavily populated, but also has its fair share of jerks. Virtue is very high pop but is the 'unofficial' role-play server. Certain ones have different reputations - I'm mostly on Protector which is the "solo family" - we have a very strong and tightly knit on and offline population but frankly we solo a LOT. Pinnacle and Justice are very fun groups, like I said each has its own personality.

Most of us have plenty of characters all over the place, so there's never a problem for teaming with friends, on another server. Global chat channels mean that you can be virtually anywhere in the game and still be able to ask for help from people you know and trust.

The forums at City of Heroes are *extremely* active and mostly friendly, and also contain server-specific areas so you should by all means check those out for a sampling of the more active and "aware" population. (remember of course like anywhere, the forum population is only a fraction of the actual server pop!)

Anyway I hope that you do come along to the City, and enjoy it! You might want to hold out for the Going Rogue expansion, they may have deals for it in the next couple weeks. If you buy through Steam you should also remember that you can (and probably should) start COH via its own updater, and not through Steam, as it sometimes complicates things.

There are YEARS worth of updates to go through, too, so I'd say that if you wait for the GR expansion *in a store*, you'll have install disks with (hopefully) the full version of the client minus whatever recent updates or patches to download.

*salutes* Come on over
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Lord Mordeth

As Zekiran said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Come on over
The game is great, people are friendly (not to mention helpful), there's plenty of folks around to team with and loads of stuff to do, so you should have no troubles getting started if you choose to come join us.
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
mindfray

well i just had to buy the architect version, i found it for cheap. was going to play that one to find out if i enjoy the game, then later on when rouge comes out (and if my pc can handle it) i will end up getting that and the mutant booster.

pc specs are

windows xp sp3
m2n-mx mobo
64 bit dual core amd 2.7 ghz cpu i think it was actualy clocked at 5ghz since its dual core.
2.5 gigs ddr2 ram
geforce 9500gt gig of video memory.

//edit// going to order my first month tomorrow. even though virtue is the unoficial role playing server, i might give it a try when i get my account activated tomorrow.

so if either of you want to show me the ropes and or hang out, keep watching this thread and maybe we can get some missions/instances or something going.

yes i'm an older gamer 27 years old, a bit more mature than some of the younger gamers, but sometimes i have my days, we all do. looking forward to try this out.

so do you think that machine could run going rogue?

Last edited by mindfray: 08-02-2010 at 07:50 PM.
mindfray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Lord Mordeth

Virtue being my home server, when you got done with all the downloads, patchings, account setups, etc and get in-game.. toss me a tell, my global being @Lord Mordeth as i would be more than happy to show you the ropes/around, regardless of the server you end up choosing.

Quote:
so do you think that machine could run going rogue?
Hmm, your rig should run the game fine.. as i had a crappier setup before and it ran the game decently enough.
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Zekiran

Yes, it should run just fine. Since Ultra Mode is optional, you can also just choose whatever settings your rig will run well.

(and lol older. I'm 15 years older than you, you young punk. heheheh)

My global name is @Zekiran Immortal.

The Mutant booster is awesome for certain parts, though I have to say I'm not fond of the one face for the big scary eyes... All the boosters are available, too, there's always something neat to pick up.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
HaVok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
Yes, it should run just fine. Since Ultra Mode is optional, you can also just choose whatever settings your rig will run well.

(and lol older. I'm 15 years older than you, you young punk. heheheh)

My global name is @Zekiran Immortal.

The Mutant booster is awesome for certain parts, though I have to say I'm not fond of the one face for the big scary eyes... All the boosters are available, too, there's always something neat to pick up.
How do you still find stuff to do on CoH, after playing since '04. Im not saying anything bad against you or the game ( i think its great and remember talking to you about it when Architect Edition came out ) but even since then, ive gotten bored and took a break. I just now am starting to play again since G R came out. Its a good game, and dont get me wrong - there is a lot of stuff to do... but dont you ever feel like you have done everything? Or perhaps you retired into just PVPing which i can see... (as i have been playing Guild Wars since '05 , but only find it fun to PVP anymore after EOTN - waiting eagerly for GW2)
HaVok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Zekiran

I don't feel at all like I've even done everything, mostly because I haven't.

My highest level villain is only 28 or so. Meaning - I've only seen less than a third of the redside content. That's a personal gaming choice though - while redside stories are fantastically better than blueside, ... I hate being a villain. I hate being in a dreary, dark environment like on the Isles.

With Going Rogue, I'm in the process of doing some of the new Tip missions to move my fire tank over to redside. Since he's 50 he will have access to the higher level content which I've never seen, but I already know how to PLAY him.

I have done pvp about ... oh, a dozen times in 6 years. I don't enjoy going into zone pvp, most of the people I encounter there are ... well, scraping the bottom of the barrel in my opinion, though honestly since I haven't been in a zone for a while, maybe the changes to pvp have scared away most of the brats. I do enjoy arena based pvp, I really liked the poke-battles (where you have minions based on your achievements and badges), that was hella fun.

But no, I really just like the game world. It fits me, I like the repetition of it - and frankly, by the time I've gotten a character back through the levels I've already forgotten many of the stories anyway, and plus they've started changing some of the higher level stuff to fit with Praetoria. I only have 4 fifties, after all this time. My first took 19 months...

Each time there's something new out, even if it's just costume equipment, that refreshes my experience. And with GR, there are zones, stories, artwork... OH the art. I am absolutely, wholly in love with Praetoria and I don't want to leave.

I've only ever played about maybe 2 dozen AE arcs, too - I've chosen ones that either my friends on global channels have written, or are of the more dev-choicey ones, because I don't want to waste my time with badly written or farming missions. It's true that AE could add a lot to someone's experience, but I like the canon stuff better.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
HaVok

Cool man, i was just wondering and you didn't have to explain - glad you did
I too, love super heroes and comics - this game was a must have. I though, may move onto DC Universe Online in November
HaVok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Zekiran

Meh, COH is where many folks return home to, when things get dull elsewhere. At least it's never going to delete your characters, they'll be there if you leave and come back.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Warseth

I think CoH/COV has reached its peak already in terms of development. Sure there will be updates and some more issues added. I've also read in PC Gamer for July COH2 is in development already.

DC universe online I can't wait for myself. I have already entered my beta code from Fan Fair by Sony. I am so itching to play in the beta.
Warseth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > City of Heroes