Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #46
CliffRacer

Well, that's not cool.

Here I came to the forum after beating the game to see others reactions to it and get this crap-tastic news instead. Seriously, a journalist?!! --off with their heads please.

No need to sit idle though--

For my part I just bought my second copy
, and will buy a third in a few weeks (and no, I won't download it again, save their bandwidth!). This is of course after I pre-ordered my first on 2/19. Yup, I'm a fan : )

It's a shame though, as this games friggin' awesome and simply deserves better.

Two random thoughts:

First, I own a software company and as such, shutter at the idea of needing to make huge sales in a short period of time. My products been on the market since 2008 and has done and continues to do well for me...but only because I'm able to rely on steady and consistent sales month after month. I can only hope that in the coming years we'll learn to back off of the "urgency of release" mentality and come to enjoy games that may be a few years old. In other words, give developers a sense of security without needing an MMO pay-model.

Second, I think this game could do well on consoles if needed, if for no other reason than the Fatal Frames, my other "scariest games of all time", were console exclusives.

Last edited by CliffRacer: 09-20-2010 at 11:41 PM.
CliffRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #47
Mekast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest GIMP View Post
Consoles are no guarantee to make money, but they will guarantee a huge cost getting them on there.
No, they will not.
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #48
Retailnothx

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekast View Post
No, they will not.

Do you have any idea about how expensive is an X360 or Ps3 dev kit?
Retailnothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #49
Mekast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retailnothx View Post
Do you have any idea about how expensive is an X360 or Ps3 dev kit?
Oops, read the post wrong, thought you were talking about earnings.
Was tired a bit...
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #50
pigtailsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollerDollah View Post
I bought three copies of Amnesia for friends when I read this news. I don't want them to go out.
You are a serious gamer. You are a an aficionado of the art of game making.
pigtailsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #51
Larry1212

I don't see a problem offering games for PC and consoles just as long as games aren't made console friendly(Which to me almost always offers limited gameplay and features in general... just enough to get you through your initial hours of play) and aren't a direct console to PC port... I mean, can you even make a bad PC to console port? o.O Slap on some auto-aim and tweek the controls and HUD and you're set... right? ;o

It is pretty pathetic that a reviewer actually released the game for people to torrent. I would say that would be a main cause for people to not buy the game. There's nothing more annoying for me, as a paying customer, to hear about some cheap asshat getting the game I paid for for free before it's even released! I can stand hearing about it a day or two after but when you hear people say "lawl. GAME X iz ardy up 4 on torrent" it just gets to you.

I really hope the person who leaked the game regrets what he did for obvious reason.

I loved Penumbra and really like Amnesia but they really do freak me out. Would I ask for a less freaky game? No. Even if i'm terrified and can't complete the game because of it it's exactly what I paid for. I bought the game knowing what kind of a game it was and I will continue to buy games like this untill I simply lose interest in the genre.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #52
Boiller

Banned
Frictional, Please DONT EVER Turn To Consoles

there, fixed it for you.
Boiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:33 AM   #53
viehrea_siili

Maybe port to console, but no, no console game that is ported to PC.

PC is THE platform to play games.
viehrea_siili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
shponglefan

Am the only one who doesn't get all this PC vs console nonsense? Consoles are platforms. PCs are platforms. They each have respective strengths and weaknesses. There are good games on consoles. There are good games on PCs.

That's said, I think porting Amnesia to a console could be problematic due to the control scheme. I don't see the physics-based mouse control working quite so well with an analog stick.
shponglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
Larry1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Am the only one who doesn't get all this PC vs console nonsense? Consoles are platforms. PCs are platforms. They each have respective strengths and weaknesses. There are good games on consoles. There are good games on PCs.

That's said, I think porting Amnesia to a console could be problematic due to the control scheme. I don't see the physics-based mouse control working quite so well with an analog stick.
It's more the problems presented to the PC community when developers make a game solely for consoles and make a half assed attempt at porting the same game to PCs. There are far too many times where developers have not given the PC version of the game the attention and detail it deserves which often leaves us with a game we paid €40(€50 on STEAM) that's broken in parts, really buggy, glitchy and very little control tweeks for Mouse and Keyboard or even a proper HUD or inventory system for PC gamers. Basically, console games really do effect how PC games are developed.

An interesting example of this would be Dead Space. Personally I enjoyed Dead Space on the PC and didn't have much trouble using the controls but many people have reported that the console version is far superior mostly due to the fact that the controls are better suited for console games, many commenting on the fact that the PC controls should have been tweeked to be more in tune with M&K controls.
Larry1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #56
shponglefan

True, shoddy ports are an issue, although that's nothing to do with whether PCs or consoles are better. Any game natively designed for one system probably isn't going to play as well on another system without significant re-workings.

All that said, I've had very few issues with console ports on the PC. FF VII was the only game I had real problems with, but once it worked, it worked fine.
shponglefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent