Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
mrspock88

The Polynomial issues

I downloaded The Polynomial last night and it will not start when i click play. it comes back with an error message saying the game is "not playable at this time." anyone else having this issue?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Carpevivere

Yup, I'm having this issue too. Just tried it again and still got the 'cannot run this game at this time' message.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
limbclock

I have the same issue too.
limbclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
mentor07825

Issue

I'm now having the problem where I get to the main screen but the game becomes unresponsive after that. I downloaded the demo and the same thing happened again. Get as far as the main screen and then the Task Manager tells me that the game isn't responding anymore.
mentor07825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
The Doc

Same Issue. I had hoped it would have been fixed by this morning, but apparently I was wrong.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Soroshi

I'm having the same problem "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time.", downloaded it about 30 seconds ago.
Soroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Hardsloth

Same problem. Game unavailable.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardsloth View Post
Same problem. Game unavailable.
Well...maybe we will get lucky and Steam will just refund us 10 Dollars into our steam wallet and delete this game from the servers...

...and Maybe The Democrats will stand a chance in November...

The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Hardsloth

Lucky for me, I'm Canadian. But it would still be nice to get ten bucks in credit - or, better yet, be able to PLAY the game!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Guy2k

Same deal here. Installed, tried to launch, and... hang. Forced quit of steam and restart, launch polynomial, "game not available". Looks cool, I hope this gets fixed. Anyone know if it'll run on my old, old macbook? (otherwise I'll have to wait 2 weeks until I get home to my lovely iMac.)
Guy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Ignatius33

same thing.......Except im in new zealand using a new zealand credit card......so my price raises as a result of buying the game in us dollars........13.00 dollars back k thnx bai
Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
Hello,

I am aware of the issue since early Saturday, and have notified Valve engineers. I do not know the cause; the dialogbox is not part of my game, and it is not a response to my game crashing or the like. Of course the release has been tested before going live, and it worked fine back then.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Dmytry.
Dmytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Pob235

Temporary workaround

I have exactly the same issue. Fortunately I have a workaround that should work for now until the problem is solved, running the game manually, externally from Steam.

Using Finder, browse to your home directory. Next find the 'Library' folder and open it, then follow this route to find the game, opening each folder in succession.

'Application Support', 'Steam', 'SteamApps', 'common' and 'thepolynomial'.

Here you will find the application package 'Polynomial_osx'. Double click it to run the game!

Of course, time spent playing this way will probably not be logged by Steam so please do see it as a very temporary solution!

Last edited by Pob235: 10-17-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Rewording and additional disclaimer!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
limbclock

looks like the problem is within the Steam client then. This workaround worked for me too
limbclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Dmytry

The Polynomial Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pob235 View Post
I have exactly the same issue. Fortunately I have a workaround that should work for now until the problem is solved, running the game manually, externally from Steam.

Using Finder, browse to your home directory. Next find the 'Library' folder and open it, then follow this route to find the game, opening each folder in succession.

'Application Support', 'Steam', 'SteamApps', 'common' and 'thepolynomial'.

Here you will find the application package 'Polynomial_osx'. Double click it to run the game!

Of course, time spent playing this way will probably not be logged by Steam so please do see it as a very temporary solution!
Thanks for finding and posting the workaround! Much appreciated. I couldn't quite reproduce the issue (having problem with my OSX box at home, testers arent on because weekend, etc).

Ahh, and by the way, I believe it would log time correctly. When developing, I usually launch my game from outside Steam, and the time is logged nonetheless, just as long as Steam client is running - i'm not entiely sure if that applies to Mac though as I were not paying attention, but either windows or mac does log time. Same goes for the Leaderboards.

Best Regards,

Dmytry.

Last edited by Dmytry: 10-17-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: close paren, clarify, lol said linux instead of mac, too tired
Dmytry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games