Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > R.U.S.E

Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
rassmanp

FOR THE VETERANS

Can i ask how you guys set up at start of game, i.e do you use all your funds to claim as many depots as possible? or do you build an armour base and buy as many units as you can and then go on offense, when do you upgrade your units? when do you start building admin buildings? dont have to give all game plan away but a few hints and tips may help me as a noob last a bit longer in the games.

ta

Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
rofltehcat

You could download a few of the well voted replays from www.rusereplays.com and watch them.
How many depots you build really depends on your faction, the enemy faction and the map. On some maps you have to go with more depots and against some enemies or strategies you need to go less depots. Admin depots are rarely viable except when playing very long team matches but those are stupid anyways.
What units to build, if to upgrade and when to upgrade also varies a lot. Overall it just comes down to knowing what units are viable for your faction and which of them you need to counter the enemy units.

There just are no standard ways to do it, you constantly have to adapt.
rofltehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
MrStillwater

Not sure I'd agree about admin's rarely being viable as I use them most games and find them invaluable. Unless you're on a map that has an awful lot of depots you're going to start to run out of money sooner or later unless you've invested in some admin. If your partners are doing it too then you'll soon find they more than repay themselves and you don't have to worry about them running out. You just have to be careful about when you buy them.
MrStillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
rofltehcat

The thing about admins is:
1. You'll nearly never need them in a 1v1.
2. You rarely need them in a 2v2.
3. You nearly always need them in 3v3 or 4v4.
4. You always need them when playing too long time settings.

The OP asked for strategy advice. If you are playing in the 3. or 4. situation, the strategy advice would be very different. Also in those situations the things the OP was interested in matter much less because people normally just turtle there and shoot each other with artillery.
rofltehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
acidd_uk

In a 1v1 or 2v2 I will generaly build 2 or 3 depots and 1 factory. Usually the factory will be whatever gives recon. I will then buy a few (2-3) recon save the rest of my money until I see what the opponent is doing...
acidd_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
theelous3

gererg

As someone who has played since the first day of the first beta, all I can say is this:

Play balanced.
Don't jarate away money on units, don't jarate away money on depots, and whatever you do; DON'T START WITH ADMINS OR PROTO.

Jarate? They could have at least replaced the word with "urinate."
theelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
MrStillwater

To answer the OP's question, it depends on what sort of game I'm playing (2vs2, 3vs3, etc), what nation I'm playing as and against and who I'm playing with, but generally I camo my base, grab some depots (normally 3 to begin with), build a barracks fairly near (but not right next to) my HQ and an anti-tank base. If there are woods around my base (such as on COG) then I'll put recon, light inf and AT into the woods around me immediately just to give myself some protection and ensure I can't be sneaked up on by inf/other units under radio silence at any point during the game. I'll also start sending out some recon to other parts of the map to see what's going on. From there I'll then decide what longer term strategy to go for e.g. go for air, or armour or artillery etc. I always try to upgrade to heavy infantry as soon as I've sorted out the bits above, and will be thinking about grabbing another depot.

I'm sure there are plenty of other approaches depending on how you like to play. Hope that's some help?

Last edited by MrStillwater: 11-14-2010 at 06:28 AM.
MrStillwater is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > R.U.S.E