and 6 PER and LCK

I am;
lvl 25
and 7 PER (w/ four eyes) and 7 LCK

But it's not unlocked.

HELP ME SPUF!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Xenofreak

It's because of the four eyes trait. It basically takes one away from your actual perception, and makes glasses add 2. This means your base perception is currently actually 5. If you're still able to get implants you can get one to raise your base perception, but if you can't, you're sol.
Xenofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
mmatique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
It's because of the four eyes trait. It basically takes one away from your actual perception, and makes glasses add 2. This means your base perception is currently actually 5. If you're still able to get implants you can get one to raise your base perception, but if you can't, you're sol.
Well that's what I was thinking, but why is it like that?
I wouldn't have picked Four Eyes in the beginning if I knew this.
No more implant slots...this is gonna ruin my whole build..

Last edited by mmatique: 11-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Aelok

Just another thing that says this game is a beta...
They really picked the dumbest way of doing the Four Eyes trait.
Aelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
mmatique

gonna try to resort to console commands, hah
Old 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Xenofreak

You could always use player.modav command in the console to adjust perception up by one (player.modav perception 1) and lower something else (player.modav special -1). It would have been nice if they mentioned that when you were taking the trait.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
mmatique

yeah, doing that now. thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
mochabootysweat

I also had to restart after I realized Four Eyes was useless. If I understand correctly, if your base is 5, even with glasses on, Four Eyes doesn't improve your PER beyond 5. However, if you remove the glasses, you suffer the penalty, regardless of your base PER.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Xenofreak

It increases your perception but not the base value. It operates by taking one away from your base, and then letting glasses give you +2. This leads to the exact effect that is described, -1 perception from where you set it without glasses on, and +1 from where you set it with them on.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Aelok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
This leads to the exact effect that is described, -1 perception from where you set it without glasses on, and +1 from where you set it with them on.
Not quite.
They imply that if you don't have glasses, your perception will be temporarily* reduced by 1.
Then they imply that if you do have glasses, your perception will gain a temporary* boost of +1.
*:as long as the conditions are maintained.

However, what it actually does is this:
Base perception is permanently reduced by 1, regardless of glasses or not.
With glasses, your perception gains a temporary boost of +2.

In the end, you might think the outcome is the same. With glasses, you're effectively sitting at +1 over your "normal" perception amount. However, as seen in this thread, this method can actually screw up your perks because the change to your perception isn't considered an "effect" (temporary altering that doesn't effect perk requirements), it's a permanent -1 perception to your BASE stat.

For example, if you have 10 intelligence you gain 15 skills per level up, always. If you happen to have been drunk at the time of leveling up, you won't have 10 intel because alcohol reduced intel. However, you will still gain the 15 skill points when you level up because alcohol is a TEMPORARY debuff that does NOT effect your BASE intel, therefor has no impact on the important stuff, and would only effect the skill level of your skills ruled by intelligence.
This is how Four Eyes should have worked. Without glasses your compass wouldn't pick up enemies as well and the skills ruled by perception would be slightly reduced. Instead, they b0rked it by making the loss to perception effect your base perception, instead of running it as a temporary effect.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Deviate

Why should it work like that? If you need glasses, it's because your 'perception' is permanently stunted, not because you suddenly choose to see worse if you don't wear glasses.

It works perfectly fine. You make the choice in the beginning to have one less base Perception but the option of getting two perception by using an in-game item. An in-game item that also prevents the use of a few other things.

It's just like what someone with other than 20/20 would experience. Low base 'perception' but being able to rectify that with glasses. *shrugs*
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Aelok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Why should it work like that? If you need glasses, it's because your 'perception' is permanently stunted, not because you suddenly choose to see worse if you don't wear glasses.

It works perfectly fine. You make the choice in the beginning to have one less base Perception but the option of getting two perception by using an in-game item. An in-game item that also prevents the use of a few other things.

It's just like what someone with other than 20/20 would experience. Low base 'perception' but being able to rectify that with glasses. *shrugs*

Read the OP. Four Eyes breaks perk unlocks that require perception because of the way they implemented the trait.
My suggested way has the exact same outcome but doesn't break perk unlocks.

Or am I misreading something?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Deviate

It doesn't break perk unlocks. You decided at the beginning of the game to gimp your base perception by 1. It's working perfectly. If you want the perk, don't gimp your perception, or at least grab another Per before you do it. Or just go grab a Perception implant to offset it.

It breaks nothing. It balances it.
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series