Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Pat & Mat

Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
oldfogie

Game description makes me cringe!

Quote:
New adventure game with gawky handymen from the legendary series.

"Pat & Mat" is puzzle adventure game for everyone. All settings are based on the popular TV stop-motion series about "Pat & Mat“, two handymen. Although the game is fully 3D rendered in real-time, it still keeps the dreamy look of stop-motion movies (characters are modeled in “puppet-style” and animations simulate “stop-motion“ animation process). Player is taking control of both Pat & Mat and solve various tasks by cooperation and help of both characters.

Key features:

* World-wide known brand. (Pat and Mat are well known in many countries all over the world. Game doesn’t just “use” the name – it really simulates the popular TV series on your PC.)
* The very same Pat and Mat you know from your TV. (3D reconstruction of both puppets. The game looks just like the TV series)
* Humor for everyone. (Funny animations, funny situations, funny actions all the time.)
* Untypical problem solving. (Creating “the incredible machine” etc.)
* Huge amount of “mini-games” and “micro-games”.
* Wide audience. It is for children – and their parents. Casual players will like the humor and easy-to-use controls, gamers will enjoy original approaches and non-typical puzzle solving.
The grammar, punctuation, and sentence construction on the description is absolutely horrific. This isn't the first game I've seen in the Steam store that has bad grammar but this should be flat-out unacceptable. Whoever approved this game and the sentence ""Pat & Mat" is puzzle adventure game for everyone." should be sent to do remedial studies in elementary school as punishment.

Valve: Where's your quality assurance? Or are you too greedy to care?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
well the Pat & Mat is official name of the TV serie
it's not just Czech(and Slovak) covered brand but also EU and Worldwide one

also the preffered usage is first 'Pat & Mat' then 'Pat and Mat' not otherwise
http://www.patmat.cz/?lang=e
plus it equals name of the game title and logo style

i will check into the issues about description ordering and grammar style etc.
anyway it's more our fault than Valve's

Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
radioman970

as soon as I read "Untypical" ...

It's been several years, the OP never posted again, the description is probably exacly the same as it was...but still... find someone who has actually seen the TV series and get them to rewrite it in the same style. This description doesn't sell it. I've never seen the show. I'm mainly interested in the puzzle aspects.
radioman970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Robil

Yeah, it's truly awful - it reads like one of those scam emails. I dread to think what the text is like in the actual game. It's baffling that games like this get on Steam, and other genuinely good indie games get rejected with no explanation.
Robil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
bdo7

Hey, you guys who are criticizing their English...

... how's your Czech?

Just curious.
bdo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdo7 View Post

... how's your Czech?

Just curious.
A valid concern, somewhat diminished by the fact that we are talking about a marketing text written in English, in an English language marketplace.

So, anyone know what the game is like? I've been intrigued enough by it to put it on my wishlist in hope of catching it on a sale, and now that it's the daily, I thought I might pick it up.
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Vallen

Why do games like this exist? What a waste of a daily deal...
Vallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
radioman970

It actually doesn't look all that bad for a puzzler. Might be fun. Looks a bit like the Wallace and Gromit games. Needed a demo version. Even at this low price I'm not ready to take a chance it does actually suck.

Has anyone actually played this game? I'll up your rep for a valid report.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
cheeserinoo1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK58jFQpa4g shows a section of the game (ending was really funny). From what it looks like, playing the game is like watching one of those little kid's shows on Nickelodeon. Really is just for kids.
cheeserinoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
spikemancometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon66 View Post
A valid concern, somewhat diminished by the fact that we are talking about a marketing text written in English, in an English language marketplace.

So, anyone know what the game is like? I've been intrigued enough by it to put it on my wishlist in hope of catching it on a sale, and now that it's the daily, I thought I might pick it up.
Wondering the same thing. Are the puzzles any good? The video that showed the player doing dress up is a big turn off for me.
spikemancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
radioman970

I agree about the dress up portion. But the part with the flat tire looked kind of fun. After watching an eps of the actual show (Tapestry) on youtube I'm leaning towards getting it. I watched "Tapestry", the 2nd episoddes. It's like Gumby or Wallace & Gromit for those not old enough to remember Gumby. Extremely pleasant to watch.

Note: There is no Region 1 of the shows on amazon. A real shame. I'm acquiring them some other way. I collect old children's shows and this looks like a real winner. Glad this game came up just so I can see this show.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Eheufaucan

I've bought the whole series on DVD (I live in Code 2 region) and I have to admit it's my favourite cartoon show.
Eheufaucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
radioman970

I really enjoyed that episode I just watched. Do they even make stuff like this for kids anymore?

I'm luckily able to get all 78 episodes another way. But if they ever put these out in region 1 I'll sure pick them up to encourage more of these kinds of things. I collect of LOT of old shows like this. A few years back region 1 finally got Torchy the Battery Boy even those most of the Anderson shows had come out years before. So nothing is impossible.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
ElfShotTheFood

It looks like this guy registered on the forums just to make that comment. Seems kind of sad and pathetic to do that.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Robil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdo7 View Post

... how's your Czech?

Just curious.
I hate fallacies like this - right up there with 'you can't crtique it if you couldn't do better!'

It's irrelevant that I don't speak Czech - I'm not trying to market a game in the Czech Republic. If I was, I'd make sure to set aside a portion of the budget for hiring a competent English-Czech translator.
Robil is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Pat & Mat