Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Basilisk Games

Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
fantasyfreak

Eschalon needs more polish

It needs a difficulty setting at the start like you have done with the second one (I am fed up of being poisoned, diseased until I die or chopped up by millions of Goblins at the end even with those crappy giant allies to get in the castle), and there are still bugs that need ironing out, come on guys support your first game so I am encouraged to get the next one, which I have to keep stopping myself from buying (although the price helps with that).

Are we going to get any patches or upgrades to the first book that we have already paid for?

Last edited by fantasyfreak: 12-06-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
kenoxite

I don't think that book I will be patched anymore. But that's my guess. You can always ask directly in the main official forums here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/
The guy that made this game (Basilisk Wrangler) doesn't seem read/care about Steam forums.

Anyway, Eschalon difficulty level is quite high compared to most cRPGs. That's one of the features (or drawbacks, depends on the player) of being inspired by classics like the Ultimas and the like.

That said, if you're having so much trouble try to:

- Focus your character in one set of abilities. Don't spread too much or you'll character will struggle through each encounter, and the endgame will be extremely hard. So, specialize. Jack of all Trades don't work in Eschalon.

- Retreating is a valid tactical maneuver. Approach each encounter carefully and try to lure the enemies one by one if possible. Later (probably the point you're now) that's harder to accomplish, as enemies tend to be in bigger groups or places where is harder to kite. Anyway, you can always walk to another screen, rest there and try again.
kenoxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
fantasyfreak

:-( Yeah that makes sense I loaded it up the other day and killed a few more monster, think I need to try and gain the next level about 3000 off and enchant my weapons, it's probably doable. Although if I started again I'd be maxing out survival and endurance as the amount of times I died from poison, curses and disease was silly!
fantasyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
kenoxite

Rising endurance is usually a good idea, mainly if you have a melee based character. For ranged ones (mages, archers, etc) you'll better focus on those stats that increase your damage, toHit chance or mana pool and regen, as your main goal will be to kill any threat before it manages to reach you.

For the poison, diseases and curses you have quite a lot of options to counter them, survival being probably the least versatile (although it's quite important on book 2 depending on the game rules you choose). You can:

- pick character traits on the character creation screen that make you immune to curses or boost your resistances

- work on your alchemy skill and create potions that will stop the poison or will eliminate the effects of most curses. Not to mention the other goodies that come with alchemy (healing and mana potions and all kind of boosters).

- boost your divine spells skill so you are at least able to cast all the healing ones.

- look for gear that boost your resistances to poison and the like.

Remember that you can raise those skills by either reading books or paying trainers, there's no need to wait for a level up. Although depending on how far you're into the game and how much you've spread (and gimped) your character maybe restarting would be a better idea.
kenoxite is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Basilisk Games