Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads

Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
mcclusjb

So, is crashing fixed, should I buy or not?

Seems like this is a very crash prone game, but I have enjoyed the demo and would love the full game. I'm running XP SP3, Intel 3.4G chip with 3Gb RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT.

If I buy this, will it crash repeatedly on me?

Cheers,

Jim.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Mondak

It will crash from time to time, but it is pretty nice and fairly cheap. For me, the crashes are more like graphical glitches. You can save and restart and be back in action. If you have really complex layouts it has trouble, but usually that won't happen if you play the "real" game instead of just mess around as you won't have the money for it anyway.
Mondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Warll

The game with the 1.10 patch is fairly solid, much much much much, and I do mean much, better than it was at launch.

Now crashes are the exception, even with custom maps nearly four times the standard maps.
Warll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
vzbob

Goto http://eric.bkbobby.com/ there they have a lot of new maps and heaps of help and have made this game much better than it was when it 1st came out. There is a lot of useful information and a very good Wiki.
vzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Gezzer

Thumbs up Try this

If you have 4GB+ (or will have) you should read this post.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1090651
An extra GB shouldn't cost you too much.

For example I'm using Win7 64bit with 4GB memory, and 1.10 would crash once in awhile. It seemed to happen more often towards the end of a scenario. It didn't make the game too hard to play, just had to load an auto save and it was good till the next crash. Didn't stop me from finishing all of the stock scenarios so it was no biggy.

I downloaded a mod pack and started a North America map which about an hour in started crashing alot (Big map, lots of tracks). Tried the posted fix, and just did 3 hours without one crash.

BTW thanks Warll, it's a nice little hack.

Last edited by Gezzer: 07-16-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
vzbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezzer View Post
If you have 4GB+ (or will have) you should read this post.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1090651
An extra GB shouldn't cost you too much.

For example I'm using Win7 64bit with 4GB memory, and 1.10 would crash once in awhile. It seemed to happen more often towards the end of a scenario. It didn't make the game too hard to play, just had to load an auto save and it was good till the next crash. Didn't stop me from finishing all of the stock scenarios so it was no biggy.

I downloaded a mod pack and started a North America map which about an hour in started crashing alot (Big map, lots of tracks). Tried the posted fix, and just did 3 hours without one crash.

BTW thanks Warll, it's a nice little hack.
Well the longer you play the game and add more trains the more memory the game uses up so eventually this will crash the game especially if the map being played is a Large Map.

The best way is to save often and then when it crashes load your saved game again. Some have found that if between crashes you go and play a quick game of solitaire and this will clear memory and when you start playing your saved game again it plays a lot better.
I use Windows XP Pro and have found it helps a lot.

Sid Meier's Railroads Forum and Wiki
vzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
5i1as

Saving often is nice for single player, but obviously won't work form a multiplayer game.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
byjimini

Just use the modified .exe file and it fixes the crashing. Just make sure you close Steam when patching it.
byjimini is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Railroads