Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Loki

Old 12-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Sami69

Is this game any good if you don't count any bugs?

All the gameplay i have seen this looks actually pretty good. Would look Better with big expansion which also could add little depth in game. Why all the reviews i've seen are giving very bad ratings for this game? Does this really suck so bad? Is other diablo like games way better than this like: titan quest,diablo 2 etc.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Involution

I liked it despite the bugs, and yes, terrible press coverage, possibly also due to the developers not speaking English, or something (they are French, I believe). The problem is, I don't think the company survived for further development.

It's based on the standard Diablo/Titan Quest endless hack and slash, loot collecting idea, of course, but the items are designed in a very creative way. The weakest part is the generation of the maps, and possibly the tedium of wading through literally endless spawns of enemies. But if you focus on advancement and loot then it's also an endless feast (play through three times with all characters makes for a huge play time).

Forgot to say: you should be able to download from the original site extra software for a "chest" that allows you to swap items from a character to another (a shared stash). This is *very* useful if you are into loot.

Last edited by Involution: 12-19-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add
Involution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Sami69

This game looks very good. I just don't understand how this game has so low scores everywhere and players at gamespot site looks like to hate this. Maybe titan quest made standards too high for these kind of games. After watching gameplay videos i'd think this game is way above torchlight at least. Only very bad thing this game seems to have is no penalty for dying. I just hope this game doesn't crash like mad like gamespot's user reviews says.
Sami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Involution

It is definitely several notches above Torchlight in terms of detail and number of items (also due to the several classes having "proprietary" clothing and weapons -- which is why a shared stash is such a useful add-on. I guess that the poor reviews were due to the relatively few low spots (such as the map generation, which is rudimentary), while instead the skill trees look good, and the game and loot are planned around the three replays through the difficulty levels, so you don't ever get to see the truly rare stuff until very late in the replays.

So, yes, I can't see why any hardcore loot-addicted Diablo fan shouldn't have appreciated Loki.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Sami69

I have to try this. Everything i have read and saw of this it just doesn't make any sense why so low scores. I just hope i don't run any issues like crashing and such. Bugs don't bother me if they aren't any game breaking ones. Story isin't usually strong point for hack and slash game so why they have critisized this game for poor story or lack of it. Also they say this is extremely repetive game and that also has lowered score for this. Every Diablo clone is repetive and again they lowered scores for that. Thats what hack and slashers are all about, you get stronger and stronger until the game ends. Kill,loot,level up and repeat that for several hours. I usually just keep these kind of games installed and when i finish some other game i go back to h&slash.

I'm going to see if this game is still in the shop. Cost about 9,90 Euros.
Sami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Involution

For that price it shouldn't be a difficult decision. I honestly don't recall any crashes, despite the incredible number of critters on any given level (the levels are indeed repetitive, but definitely on the huge side). The trick to learn is not to stop playing just anywhere or else you might then respawn at an earlier spot and lose your progress, but to push forward until you reach areas that are highlighted for quick travel, which happens about every other area (or every other two areas).

A nice touch is also that you get to choose your patch through the main different "realms" on your way to the final one, so among your characters you can shuffle and vary the game play that way (say, do Egypt first, or do the Norse area first, etc.). Good luck then, and don't forget to download the shared stash/chest:

http://www.loki-game.com/forum-eng/viewtopic.php?t=692
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Oneironaut

It may not be the best of it's genre, but I got it today in the sale and so far it's pretty fun, and it doesn't take much to get a $2.50 value out of a game.
Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
ShadowHawk81

No bugs, freezes, or any problems like I recall from the demos, or many player reviews. Problems exist with older hardware, I would imagine. But, this game runs fine for me.

I got it for the 2.50, but I'd even as much value it at $15.00.
I first ignored this game for a long time, because of all the bad ratings.
The game isn't perfect, maybe a step down from Titan Quest, for some control issues. Which you can get the hang of, for the most part. sometimes the click to move can be sticky, and make it hard for smooth escapes. But, it helps to keep control of the camera, for this.

If you like these types of games, it's really worth it. Don't expect a story or voice acting that is top notch, but it is at least good. If you play any of the races, I'm almost positive they used the same voice for all of them, with slight variations.
I had some fun with the Nordic warrior, as you go up against hords of goblins. Well, actually they are Elves and Gnomes by name, but I see them as goblins. Gnomes I guess are supposed to be kind of like Dwarves.

Would have been nice to maybe have a few character detail customizations at least.

UPDATE

Main thing you want to avoid is charging a hord of beasts, unless you know you can take them. Loki has a way of mixing in suprises in the crowd, if you're not carefull. For example, with the Greek Warrior, she is awesome with weapons but not as durable as a Nord. Another reason not to do this is purely based on the imperfections of controls. Including the fact that you can't easily run through enemies, although there are tricks I have learned to get through mostly. But, as long as you keep that under control, it can be a fun game.

Also know the classes:

Nord = Main Tank

Greek = Ranged & Melee (I prefer ranged Disc for those difficult situations) Leaving Melee for the smaller groups.

Aztek = Main Magic

Egypt = Main Magic

Last edited by ShadowHawk81: 12-31-2010 at 05:43 AM.
ShadowHawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Buer

I just picked this up today as well. $2.50 for a decent Hack-n-Slash isn't bad at all. But while I'm downloading I wanted to ask. How is the multiplayer if any of you have tried it, that is? I read it was sort of difficult to setup. But if you guys are playing the game regularly and want to try and get some MP going hit me up I'm down for it.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
DeadlyFred

This game would be alright save for a few fundamental problems. First and foremost, skill execution/attacking is sluggish and unresponsive at the best of times. Second and quite annoyingly, mobs seem to be able to aggro you from a screen away and never stop chasing you.

Better than Torchlight? You're bloody INSANE. Loki may have the affectation of a bit more depth but Torchlight's gameplay is tighter than Fort Knox and Loki utterly fails on that front, which is kind of important.
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
Buer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyFred View Post
This game would be alright save for a few fundamental problems. First and foremost, skill execution/attacking is sluggish and unresponsive at the best of times. Second and quite annoyingly, mobs seem to be able to aggro you from a screen away and never stop chasing you.

Better than Torchlight? You're bloody INSANE. Loki may have the affectation of a bit more depth but Torchlight's gameplay is tighter than Fort Knox and Loki utterly fails on that front, which is kind of important.
Agreed... After playing this game for quite a few hours and giving it all the chance I could. It really does fail because of the flaws it has. Titan Quest, Torchlight, Diablo they all outshine this game. At least I got my 2.50 out of it.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #12
Silver2010

i bought this game over the christmas sales and so far it seems quite good. I've yet to get used to the keys but so far so good.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
ShadowHawk81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2010 View Post
i bought this game over the christmas sales and so far it seems quite good. I've yet to get used to the keys but so far so good.
Dragon Age is hardly comparable to this game, but I also got that over the holiday. You can imagine I'm spending much more time with it.
ShadowHawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Loki