Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
djsatane

Question GTA4 & GTA: Episodes from Liberty City = differences?

On steam there is Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12220/). Description it states:
Quote:
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City includes both The Lost and Damned, and The Ballad of Gay Tony together and does not require a copy of the original Grand Theft Auto IV to play.
Cost is $30. Does this mean this is basically same game as GTA4 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/) plus The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony addons?

I ask this because GTA 4 itself on steam is $20 while GTA Episodes from Liberty City is $30 and both are stand alone, if one buys GTA Episodes from Liberty City does it mean you get full GTA4 game with both addons or just the addons?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
EtovaKala

Obviously if you don't buy GTA IV but only the addons, you don't get GTA IV, only the addons.
EtovaKala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
djsatane

Obviously you have no clue. If you read my post and actually see steam store pages for both you would realize that your post have no usefull information at all. On steam you cannot only buy the addons.... I ASKED IF you buy GTA LIBERTY CITY which is stand alone does that include gta 4 since that package costs 50% more than gta4 itself on steam... looks to me from no answers, that people don't even know which is kinda funny.
djsatane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Deadly_Target

Actually, he did answer your question.

You wanted to know if Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City contained Grand Theft Auto IV, right? Well it doesn't.

The reason Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City costs more than Grand Theft Auto IV is because it's newer AND contains a lot more content than Grand Theft Auto IV. If you want Grand Theft Auto IV AND Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City purchase Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
djsatane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Target View Post
Actually, he did answer your question.

You wanted to know if Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City contained Grand Theft Auto IV, right? Well it doesn't.

The reason Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City costs more than Grand Theft Auto IV is because it's newer AND contains a lot more content than Grand Theft Auto IV. If you want Grand Theft Auto IV AND Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City purchase Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.
Umm, that is still both of those packages, and each is 16GB, as for Liberty City, actual engine is not newer, its same thing as gta4, the only difference is new mission content of the 2 episodes. As for core engine etc its all the same. This is big fail taht one cannot own gta4 + episodes as 1 package game on steam, but instead if one wants to have both they need to install 16GB twice, fail by rockstar and steam.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
MaianTrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatane View Post
Umm, that is still both of those packages, and each is 16GB, as for Liberty City, actual engine is not newer, its same thing as gta4, the only difference is new mission content of the 2 episodes. As for core engine etc its all the same. This is big fail taht one cannot own gta4 + episodes as 1 package game on steam, but instead if one wants to have both they need to install 16GB twice, fail by rockstar and steam.
Have you not taken reading comprehension in school yet, or do you just have trouble correctly conveying your thoughts into words?

You have to 'install 16GB twice' because each game, GTA IV, and GTA IV: EFLC, are 16GB each. And it would be mighty crappy for Steam to require you to download 32GB of information before you can play even a single mission in GTA IV. That, and the package is just a bundle of two games. If you buy the GTA Complete Pack, should you have to download the entire library of GTA before you can play the original GTA?
MaianTrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
djsatane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaianTrey View Post
Have you not taken reading comprehension in school yet, or do you just have trouble correctly conveying your thoughts into words?

You have to 'install 16GB twice' because each game, GTA IV, and GTA IV: EFLC, are 16GB each. And it would be mighty crappy for Steam to require you to download 32GB of information before you can play even a single mission in GTA IV. That, and the package is just a bundle of two games. If you buy the GTA Complete Pack, should you have to download the entire library of GTA before you can play the original GTA?
Let me explain something to you, most files for both are same if u analyze them, because both contain core gta4 files and in that regard about 70% of the files is same thing. Your points about reading make no difference when it comes to this. Again, you cannot just add the 2 dcls to gta4 and have them together as 1 game, you are forced to buy entire game engine+ 2 dlcs seperately and install basically same thing all over again. In that regard steam wants me to pay 50% more for a game I already own + 2 dlcs which each would cost less than original game.

Of course they are smart instead of allowing to just add the dlcs to already owned gta4 they force person to buy gta4 core all over again along with the dlcs and pay even more. Now if they were so dedicated in providing support for PC users as they are to making money I would consider it.

Last edited by djsatane: 01-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Sp00nFaCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatane View Post
In that regard steam wants me to pay 50% more for a game I already own + 2 dlcs which each would cost less than original game.
"Steam" is a digital distribution platform. 'Valve' are the people that own it, while 'Rockstar' are the people that control how it's sold etc etc.

Steam isn't a person/company or anything.

If you read the description well you can clearly see that it's saying Episodes of Liberty City just contains the two add ons. Ala a standalone expansion pack sort of thing.

The core GTAIV is a seperate game but Episodes uses most of the same files from GTAIV, therefore you have to install it twice like you do normal standalone expansions.

It's something that's been going on a long time, it's two seperate games on the consoles too, that's how the pricing usually ends up.
Sp00nFaCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
-Genius-

So, do you not want to download "the same game" over again or do you just want to rage about it having similar core files? Why don't you just buy a retail copy of Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City to save yourself from downloading another 16GB?

I ran a quick search for the retail expansion and easily found it at several other sites for half the price Steam is selling it for. There are plenty of options to take if your not happy with the one your given.
-Genius- is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series