Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
MeePwn
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 9
Playstation 3 controller?

Is using a Playstation 3 controller even possible? I was gonna play together with a friend on one comp and the controller is viewed on "divices and printers" but im not sure how to continue.

halp?
MeePwn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
ViciousXUSMC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 77
Posts: 208
If it is not directly usable, since I know the xbox 360 controller works you can easily use one of the xbox 360 controller emulators to force it to work.

good luck, this is a game i think best played with keyboard/mouse but if you like a controller more then go for it.

I made a thread to help computer gamers use controllers for gaming, I reviewed them and linked any programs/drivers you would need to make it work so check that out here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acce...iew-guide.html
ViciousXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Lord Gremlin
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 69
Posts: 1,300
I'd rather have a full PS3 version. Even if that means buying it again and it'll be more expensive on PSN. More expensive so it could get a Platinum trophy...

A man can dream.
Lord Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Menel
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
MotionInJoy software set to XBOX360 emulation mode works great with PS3 controller.

Played many hours co-op on local PC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
MeePwn
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
If it is not directly usable, since I know the xbox 360 controller works you can easily use one of the xbox 360 controller emulators to force it to work.

good luck, this is a game i think best played with keyboard/mouse but if you like a controller more then go for it.

I made a thread to help computer gamers use controllers for gaming, I reviewed them and linked any programs/drivers you would need to make it work so check that out here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acce...iew-guide.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
MotionInJoy software set to XBOX360 emulation mode works great with PS3 controller.

Played many hours co-op on local PC.

thanks alot guys, that was very helpful!
MeePwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
David_Fielder
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Reputation: 29
Posts: 155
I'm using a ps3 controller to play it currently

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-...oller-on-a-pc/

I followed those instructions , works with XP , I think there is a slightly different method for windows 7 / vista though.
David_Fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Skcus_Rafez
 
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 164
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Fielder View Post
I'm using a ps3 controller to play it currently

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-...oller-on-a-pc/

I followed those instructions , works with XP , I think there is a slightly different method for windows 7 / vista though.
I've used those drivers before and they used to give me a BSoD. If you install them wrong, they cause a ton of problems, and half the time that's down to luck.

I would go with MotionInJoy. I might even do it this weekend to do some local Co-Op.
Skcus_Rafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
anbu15
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 2
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Gremlin View Post
I'd rather have a full PS3 version. Even if that means buying it again and it'll be more expensive on PSN. More expensive so it could get a Platinum trophy...

A man can dream.
i don't think that will happen, you would need 8 dedicated buttons just for the spells to work right. then there's the moving/aiming issue.
anbu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
davez0r1
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu15 View Post
i don't think that will happen, you would need 8 dedicated buttons just for the spells to work right. then there's the moving/aiming issue.
eh... why would it not work just the same as on pc with a controller does now, exactly?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Alethenorio
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
As people mentioned above Motioninjoy drivers work just fine with PS3 on the PC and you can set it to xbox360 emulation mode to get it to work with Magicka.

Keep in mind that if you want to use the controller wireless (Instead of connected via usb cable) you will need a compatible bt adapter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
ctcc42
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 53
My PS2 controller works just fine with magicka, no special drivers or software necessary, (I use a ps2 port to USB adapter I bought online for less then $5). Seems odd that there would be any issues with a PS3 one.
ctcc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
Alethenorio
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Actually the PS3 controller doesn't work at all in normal circumstances. This is why some people, like the guys who created motioninjoy, created drivers to allow the PS3 controllers to work as a normal controller on the PC.

I don't know how the PS2 controller works but given the differences between them it wouldn't surprise me if they worked differently enough to need different drivers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Kanly
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 55
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alethenorio View Post
Actually the PS3 controller doesn't work at all in normal circumstances. This is why some people, like the guys who created motioninjoy, created drivers to allow the PS3 controllers to work as a normal controller on the PC.

I don't know how the PS2 controller works but given the differences between them it wouldn't surprise me if they worked differently enough to need different drivers.
nah, you can use a PS2 controller on a PS3, just have to buy a cheap USB adaptor
Kanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.