Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #151
gamesmaster35

ok some people may have heared of a game called minecraft made by ONE man ok ONE guy that wanted to make a game for people to play and its 10X better than magicka and minecraft runs better ?????
this means paradox cant make a game as good as one guy can ?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #152
jfunk825

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareWolf801 View Post
He has a discrete graphics card.. These are upgradable graphics in a single-component manner. Later, provided he has the power ability for it (standards for this stuff vary), he could replace with a more powerful adapter. These are really rare subsystems, but really nice too. These are costly laptops..somewhat difficult to find.
I'm aware of that. He couldn't get it running anyway. I had linked him to the updated driver earlier, but he said it still didn't work. He then later said he did and I was wondering what the final step was that got him going.

Laptops with discrete graphics cards are not hard to find. They are available from every major manufacturer. You just have to not be shopping for the cheapest possible system.

I got my wife her HP DV6-3050US w/ ATI 5650 (switchable with 4200 IGP to conserve battery when not needed) for about $750 from Newegg.
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #153
jfunk825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilpigeon View Post
Turns out I had a couple of problems, see there's a sound bug as well that gives a similar message to the one I was recieving and, although I'd tried the suggested fix for the before (turn off the pseudo surround sound on my speakers), in conjunction with the driver updates the game works perfectly.. apart from the other bugs :P

edit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1745991 that fix
Great. Glad you're up and running.

I'm holding off on playing too much of this game for now myself. Going to wait for a few more patches and hope the they do something about the upstream bandwidth issues for multiplayer. Game seems rather pointless single player.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #154
Alweth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox__rep View Post
Q: Does this mean you'll never support IGP's?
A:
Once the major patching is out of the way (hopefully soon) we'll focus more on adding new feature/polish and of course more content! We will do additional optimization, but the fact still remains that we prefer to create new fun content than to do time consuming optimization. So we can't promise or commit to anything, but we'll look into it.
What about adding lower graphics options? I would highly support this move, as I suspect it will lower the minimum requirements more easily than optimization. Let's face it, none of us are playing the game because of how smoking hot the graphics are anyway. (Not that I don't enjoy the graphics.)

The game runs fine on my laptop, because it doesn't have an IGP. However, I would love to play this game with my wife, who's laptop does have an Intel IGP.
Alweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #155
squidgy617

Agreed.
However, I'm curious... Isn't the problem something to do with XNA? After doing some research, I found that most Intel cards don't support XNA at all because of shader limitations.

This is kind of pointless to mention, but when I minimize the game with Alt-Tab, it doesnt crash. When I maximize it, it crashes again.

Last edited by squidgy617: 02-05-2011 at 12:18 PM.
squidgy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #156
skyizzle

Thumbs down People being mean to me and I want to play Magicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ranger View Post
Can one of the Steam mods who spends all their time on the CSS and TF2 forums banning ppl for saying CoolStoryBro (cuz that's like sooooo important) spare a little time to do their jobs and ban real trolls like skyizzle plz? This whole forum is a little chaotic right now and the random nerdraging isn't helping so would everyone plz do their best not to troll the stickies?? People who are having real technical difficulties need to access this information in a timely fashion.

Also, I found my "radeon 3000 HD" card details on wiki. The Pixel/vertex shaders clock in at 1.4 /w memory listed as "system" while an XT1900 discrete gets 8/8 clocking. Either the Wiki's lying, or Graphics Card makers are just plain DISHONEST about ALL this stuff when they re-use Model numbers to "bundle" cards at inflated values. IoW: the whole damn industry looks like it needs some truth in advertising Government Regulation.

"u mad?" ...hell yeah I am.

EDIT: Here's the Comparison Page for anyone else with an ATI card... -HTH
You're clearly having the same problems that I am, but instead of being incredibly upset I take the time to put in color just because I can really. How about instead of asking to ban someone who's on your side, you grow up a little bit. Also, "coolstorybro" isn't productive to the topic of any forum in any way, but is just someone trying to be amazing by saying some letters. Back on topic, when I click to play Magicka, a little box appears saying "Preparing to launch Magicka..." then disappears and nothing happens, and because I'm on a laptop I can only assume that it's because of this. Also, you can't be mean and call me a troll because I don't know as much about technology as you do.

Last edited by skyizzle: 02-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
skyizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #157
J Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidgy617 View Post
Agreed.
However, I'm curious... Isn't the problem something to do with XNA? After doing some research, I found that most Intel cards don't support XNA at all because of shader limitations.

This is kind of pointless to mention, but when I minimize the game with Alt-Tab, it doesnt crash. When I maximize it, it crashes again.
Wait... Maximize? Or "Restore?". B/c I've been minimizing it constantly and restoring with no freezing despite serious performance issues. (running in windowed mode so YMMV)
J Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #158
ske1th

I will not blame paradox/arrowhead here
but here is my opinion

put it this way
I've been gaming for more than 5 years
and my first pc game is the C&C series
which I could make it run on a 64MB RAM and IGP card (they demand quadruple the specs of my PC)

now with the new laptop, I can play the sims 3, dragon age origin, civilization v, pes2011 on IGP which they told wasn't the minimum requirement

my conclusion, I will not buy anything again from paradox
since I can't afford that FIX requirement and when i thought that the game will run on my laptop, was just wrong

so no more money in vain

fyi
here is the error generated
seems not about graphic isn't it
Quote:
Version: 1.3.3.7
Thread: Init Audio
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\magicka\content\Audio \Ambience.xwb' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.WaveBank.CheckWaveBa nkHeader(String filename)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.WaveBank..ctor(Audio Engine audioEngine, String streamingWaveBankFilename, Int32 offset, Int16 packetsize)
at Magicka.Audio.AudioManager.Init()

Last edited by ske1th: 02-05-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fixing some typos
ske1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #159
squidgy617

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ranger View Post
Wait... Maximize? Or "Restore?". B/c I've been minimizing it constantly and restoring with no freezing despite serious performance issues. (running in windowed mode so YMMV)
I minimize it, and when I put it back in fullscreen, it crashes.
squidgy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #160
skyizzle

Every time Steam updates I hope that it might be some sort of Magicka optimization update that might allow me to play on my laptop but it isn't how can I check error reports or whatever? Would be nice to know where people are pulling errors from. Also, from my limited knowledge, far over half of Magicka's potential players aren't going to have the requirements that are currently needed, so if your goal is making the most money from it, letting more people play by optimizing or whatever sounds like the best choice. If your goal isn't making the most money from it, you should change goals I would love to be able to play, looks like a great game >_> No, not so far. Not very much.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #161
skyizzle

In the achievements, it shows that about 92% of people have casted a magic, which is odd because you almost have to cast a magic unless you haven't played the game. Hmm... The point is that the other 8% are most likely people who are having problems with bugs and can't play, or possibly maybe bought the game and their computer has an IGP? >_> When 8% of your players can't play the game, word will spread.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #162
ske1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyizzle View Post
Every time Steam updates I hope that it might be some sort of Magicka optimization update that might allow me to play on my laptop but it isn't how can I check error reports or whatever? Would be nice to know where people are pulling errors from. Also, from my limited knowledge, far over half of Magicka's potential players aren't going to have the requirements that are currently needed, so if your goal is making the most money from it, letting more people play by optimizing or whatever sounds like the best choice. If your goal isn't making the most money from it, you should change goals I would love to be able to play, looks like a great game >_> No, not so far. Not very much.
Here is the location of the error report file

Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > magicka

There will be file(s) named errorReport_yadayada.txt
ske1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #163
skyizzle

Version: 1.3.3.7
Thread: RenderThread
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceEx ception: Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the requested features.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Find BestPlatformDevice(Boolean anySuitableDevice)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Find BestDevice(Boolean anySuitableDevice)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Chan geDevice(Boolean forceCreate)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Appl yChanges()
at Magicka.Game..ctor()
at Magicka.Game.get_Instance()
at Magicka.GlobalSettings..ctor()
at Magicka.GlobalSettings.get_Instance()
at Magicka.Program.Main(String[] args)

That was my error =) although your advice didn't help, and I just searched error until something dealing with Magicka came up, thanks for the help now can someone tell me what this means? >_>
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #164
jfunk825

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyizzle View Post
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.NoSuitableGraphicsDeviceEx ception: Could not find a Direct3D device that supports the requested features.
It means you don't have a graphics adapter that meets the minimum requirements.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #165
skyizzle

Graphics adapter being an IGP? D: Or like, I need to go get DirectX?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka