Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
nopoles

Angry BFBC2: "CONNECTION TO THE GAME SERVER HAS BEEN LOST"

I've owned this game for the better part of a year, but only recently began to play online. After 3 days of online play, I can no longer connect to online game servers

Every time I try to connect I get this error, followed by instructions telling me to check my network connection.

After speaking with several friends who also had this problem, I temporarily fixed it by reinstalling punkbuster (from the EXE in "c:/program files/Steam/steamapps/bc2/install/punkbuster/"). That worked for a day, but has since stopped working.

I'm no longer able to play online, and this seems to be a common problem.

Just a heads up for ppl considering this game. The online play is still pretty buggy.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Oz_JuicE

Have you updated Punkbuster though?

Buggy?
Oz_JuicE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
TDZGamer

Never had any issues, and I can assure you that if the problem was "common" these boards would be swarming with posts like these.

Might a problem with the game not running with necessary privileges or a faulty windows install. Instead of speaking with friends, you might want to go through Steam technical support. They have always been helpful to me.

If you want to pursue a solution in the community you should begin by telling us what OS you use and if you have administrator rights on the PC or not.
TDZGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
nopoles

How's this for common. Go to google and search for "connection to game server has been lost". Notice how many pages of results you get mentioning "Bad Company 2".

I mention my friends having this issue because several of them did. Re-installing PunkBuster which came with BC2 fixed their issues. It also worked for me at first (I couldn't play online the first time because of this), so I reinstalled PunkBuster and it's been fine until today. But now, no combination of uninstall, reinstall, reboot has helped.

I'm happy it's worked well for you.

I have Win7, 32Bit. I have not yet installed an updated version of PunkBuster, but that will be my next step.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
nopoles

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_JuicE View Post
Have you updated Punkbuster though?

Buggy?
Updating PunkBuster using their update tool *seems* to have fixed my online play, for now. Reinstalling PunkBuster did fix this for me once before, but no longer helps.

For others having this issue, download the PunkBuster update tool at the URL below. Click Add Game and select "Bad Company 2", it should automatically find the version installed from Steam. Click Update to update the PunkBuster services.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

By Buggy, I mean this connection problems that seem to still be fairly common (I know several people who had it). Not to mention the poor voice chat (we use Ventrilo now instead).

Overall it's a good game, but problems with 3rd party apps like this are very frustrating.

Thanks for the suggestion Oz_JuicE
Old 02-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Oz_JuicE

I always find with PB that it needs a manual update regularly to get it to work properly.
As for the connection problems (of which i have one myself where i disconnect after 20 minutes) i think you'll find that most of those are not the game so much as the PC or router / software issues.
The game on the whole is no different to any other with some bugs and with so many different PC set ups it will always be the case.
Generally though it's a great game.

Glad you fixed it.
Oz_JuicE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
jasonnov118

I am having this same issue. Did the PB update, forwaded appropriate ports, reinstalled game, tried directly to my modem, no firewall/antivirus interfering, yet still get the "lost connection with game servers" error when trying to join. So frustrating...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
hamai

Usually when punkbuster is the problem the message mentions it. But it won't hurt installing pbsetup.exe and updating it.

Now here's what I usually do:

* have option "-pingInterval 50000" set on Steam game properties(this helped when I was being dropped after a short playing time)
* type "ipconfig /flush" on windows console (cmd.exe) before entering the game
* try to connect to a low population server. If it works try the full queued servers.
* If connection failed then exit game; flush dns again; restart the game and try on empty servers again

usually after this I get in; sometimes I get lucky and connect at the first time but normally I have to try again

Last edited by hamai: 02-23-2011 at 06:09 PM.
hamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
ec3kk

No it's not working.

Every time I closed the game, the next time when I join MP it will happen.

Ever since I need to verify the game contents every time before I join MP , and it will work for that session as long as you do not close the game.

No idea what file is that always 1 or 2 files need to be downloaded back from Steam.
ec3kk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series