Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
sgtmattbaker

Upset at how Valve abandoned this game..

I'm upset at how Valve abandoned this game. When it came out it only had four maps, and it remained that way for years. Then two new maps were finally released and that was it.

As far as I know, no other gameplay tweaks or enhancements were introduced (no I do not count the TF2 killcam as an enhancement).
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
hahahehe

OK, lets get a few facts corrected here.

The game has 9 maps in total, 6 were released with the game (or less than 2 months after the games initial release)

Anzio
Argentan
Avalanch
Colmer
Donner
Flash

2 were released later with an update that added bombing to the game

Kalt
Jagd

Please note i may have gotten Kalt & Colmer mixed up, i hate both maps and rarely play them so im not sure which is the bombing one.

Finally one more was added when the game was ported to the OB Engine. This was a community submitted map.

Palermo

The killcam is a feature of the OB engine and was added because the game was ported over the the newer engine (and not to copy TF2)

But actually, i agree with what your saying. Its a joke that TF2 gets so much love, CSS recently got a complete overhaul andy yet DOD nevers get anything.

Either give us a big update or declare the game abandoned and stop selling it Gabe.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
kenjara

I would be happy to pay for an expansion adding all the classic maps back in like glider, the one with the tanks and piats and the one with the fuel trucks.

Pretty much all the British maps/content.

Me and my friends would happily pay £10-£20 for that as we love DOD.
kenjara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
bluz74

I bought this game for $2.50 back in Novemeber and it has become my second favorite MP game of all time. Second only to the L4D series. I literally play it for at least an hour everyday.

It's a great game and runs virtually perfect. As far as new maps, yes it would be great to get some new maps created from Valve but that won't happen.

I have my suspisions that Day of Deafeat 2 is in the pipline but we definetly won't see it anytime soon.

Last edited by bluz74: 02-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Suomis

What would you actually like to see in this game besides new maps then? No, I don't want brits as an answer. What else do you think Valve could add besides maps? If maps is the only answer you can make up, then I suggest playing custom maps. There are a ton of custom maps that actually are good and polished just like Valve's maps.
Suomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Ustwes R. Dewo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suomis View Post
What would you actually like to see in this game besides new maps then? No, I don't want brits as an answer. What else do you think Valve could add besides maps? If maps is the only answer you can make up, then I suggest playing custom maps. There are a ton of custom maps that actually are good and polished just like Valve's maps.
Workable hit registration, de-clone weapons, various different weapons, different player models.
Ustwes R. Dewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Suomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustwes R. Dewo View Post
Workable hit registration, de-clone weapons, various different weapons, different player models.
Imo hit registeration problems are quite rare... Why would you want more models? It would just make the game heavier to run. More weapons? To unbalance the game? No thanks imo.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Orange Ninja

Quote:
New features (such as Brits) aren't so important for me, but fixing the existing maps/features etc are - seeing as Valve treat the CS:S community with a complete engine upgrade, then a few game (not engine) patches for DoD:S is surely the least we as a community can ask for!
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
nohitreg001

flame thrower. + 1
nohitreg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Suomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Ninja View Post
New features (such as Brits) aren't so important for me, but fixing the existing maps/features etc are - seeing as Valve treat the CS:S community with a complete engine upgrade, then a few game (not engine) patches for DoD:S is surely the least we as a community can ask for!
Dods got the huge update before CSS... Remember the engine update to the OB engine?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
TheRevanchist

Two ends of the spectrum: Valve tends to either give too much attention (TF2) or not enough (DoD:S)
TheRevanchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
bluz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevanchist View Post
Two ends of the spectrum: Valve tends to either give too much attention (TF2) or not enough (DoD:S)
I have to agree with this. Please don't hurt me!

IMO, DoD is far superior to CS and TF. Don't get me wrong they though, are all good games.

Edit: Actually let me say the community is far superior to those other games, that's fo sho.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Orange Ninja

Quote:
Dods got the huge update before CSS... Remember the engine update to the OB engine?
Sorry, I meant just Valve's complete CS:S patching, during which they updated the engine for CS:S. In fact, de_inferno just recently got patched - Valve are still looking after CS:S. What about DoD:S? What about dod_ maps?
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
kenjara

Quote:
Basically Brits is it, ie all the content from the orginal that is missing in the new version.

Last edited by kenjara: 02-24-2011 at 12:57 AM.
kenjara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Negative!

Quote:
no w m1 class
Negative! is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source