Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chime

Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
kalirion

Fred Deakin level...

For the life of me, I can't get 100% coverage on 6 minutes. Got it on all the other levels....

Anyone have a video I could use for strategy?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
eXodL

Here's an example of how to get 100% coverage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIJ8jUPNDg
eXodL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
kalirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodL View Post
Here's an example of how to get 100% coverage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIJ8jUPNDg
Wow.... He's actually thinking ahead and leaving holes for blocks to fit perfectly into later! I don't think I can do that with a timelimit....

Maybe I should play with the keyboard instead of a mouse to force myself to think more strategically.

Edit: Keyword didn't work so well by itself, but I started using it for rotation.
And that video inspired me so that on my first try after switching control schemes I made 100% coverage with 3 seconds on the 6 minute clock to spare! Yay!

Last edited by kalirion: 02-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.
kalirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
WhiteTigerShiro

Keyboard gameplay is much slower and clunkier. Even if you had a gamepad I can't imagine it would make-up for what you lose by not using the mouse.
WhiteTigerShiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
eXodL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirion View Post
Wow.... He's actually thinking ahead and leaving holes for blocks to fit perfectly into later! I don't think I can do that with a timelimit....

Maybe I should play with the keyboard instead of a mouse to force myself to think more strategically.

Edit: Keyword didn't work so well by itself, but I started using it for rotation.
And that video inspired me so that on my first try after switching control schemes I made 100% coverage with 3 seconds on the 6 minute clock to spare! Yay!
I've done this myself on 3 minutes mode and I've only used a mouse. The keyboard I'm using when I want to see the coverage behind the blocks. But this is far from being the hardest level to get 100% coverage on any of the time limit modes. Most stressful level to get 100% was "Ooh yeah" by Moby, for me at least.

Al levels are doable, you just need to know which blocks go together to form a quad. The faster you move, the more time you'll get to 100% the level.
eXodL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
kalirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodL View Post
I've done this myself on 3 minutes mode and I've only used a mouse. The keyboard I'm using when I want to see the coverage behind the blocks. But this is far from being the hardest level to get 100% coverage on any of the time limit modes. Most stressful level to get 100% was "Ooh yeah" by Moby, for me at least.

Al levels are doable, you just need to know which blocks go together to form a quad. The faster you move, the more time you'll get to 100% the level.
There's a keyboard key to see behind-block coverage? Never knew that!

It's definitely the the hardest level for me though - the last I've gotten coverages on both the lower time limits.

As far as 3 minutes, I've only gotten 100% on two so far...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
jessestephens

When focusing on coverage instead of multiplier first try to make big quadrangles and not worry as much about the fragments left over. The fragments will eventually fade till it clears and that will open up the smaller spots for you to focus on. Then you can just hit the smaller left over areas separately without having to worry about building around fragments. This is obviously not the tactic you want for high scores (since it wipes out your multiplier). However, it helps you out with coverage to let the fragments fade out since it opens up the board.

I recorded a video of myself getting over 100% on the 3 minute Fred Deakin level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMB3esdeJXs

3 minute usually my weakest on each level for some reason. I do much better on the leaderboards with the longer time limits.

7,355,400 points with 287% coverage is my best score so far on this level (currently #7 on that leaderboard).

I tend to place higher on the leaderboards on the longer time limits for some reason.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
kalirion

Thanks for the video and the advice! My problem is that I don't think fast enough on my feet - don't place the pieces quickly enough and not in the best locations. But if I work on it....

Was able to get 95% coverage on Moby 3 minutes, but it's always the last 10% that give me the trouble.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
jessestephens

I thought of another tip that helps me as well. I try to start building usually where I think there might be a trouble spot. For example around the "eyes" on the smiley face. I try to knock those areas out fast and then focus on the larger, more open areas.

The more you practice, the better you get.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
kalirion

Thanks - unfortunately the smiley is not the only hard part of that level for me...

Anyway, I've gotten the 3 minute 100% on all levels except Fred Deakin now. Made a few attempts, best - 83%. Leaving it for another day

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Chime