Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darkspore

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
moonstar

Can I play with European people if I get US version?..

Hello!

If I have the US version of Darkspore, can I play with European people then, or only people in the US?

Also, is it a Steam only game? Do you need Steam to play it? Is a European version of Steam OK with a US copy of the game?

Eventually, can I register from Europe with a US version of the game without issues (if it is not a Steam only game)?

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
JoxerNL

No clue about registering in the EU with a US version, however i have a EU version, some friends in the US have the US version and we can play fine together.
JoxerNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
moonstar

Thanks for reply.
Well, I need to wait then before buying the US version until I get an exact answer, if I can register the US version of the game with an EU account at Electronic Arts.
Since I live in Europe I have an EU account at EA, but I travel a lot to the US and some day I might move over there. Not only because the games are cheaper there, but I must admit I buy a lot of US version games when I am over there because of the price difference.
But anyway, since I live in Europe at the moment, I am not sure if an US copy and a US key is valid for registering with an EU Electronic Arts account.
Would be grateful for a reply if anyone knows about this!
I just found that this game also is sold as Non-Steam, and I would also know if it is possible to buy a Retail Boxed Steam version in the US or if there only is Non-Steam versions that is boxed.
Thanks again
moonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Breet

Better off checking the official DS forums (sticky at top) but from what I can tell, it's on 1 centralised server. The only difference was the release times, there was no server select option for AU (but don't quote me on that. check/ask on the maxis forums for darkspore)

As for boxed/non boxed, I don't believe Steam does boxed copies at all, Only merchandise that gets set out is shirts, cups, ect. Same time I don't believe there is a difference between retail/digital, as some install error threads have had a maxis reply of downloading the installer from their site.
Tho currently, if you buy a boxed version you wont be able to activate it on steam for updates (not sure if steam does updates for it tho, I had to download 2 patches through the game launcher after it was 'ready' on steam.
Keep an eye on https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7480-WUSF-3601 tho as that is the current supported retail key list for steam
Breet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
moonstar

Thanks for the answer.
Your answer is the same as I got at the official forums, and the problem is solved.
It seems like you are completely correct.
This is not a region based game, and the US version of the Darkspore game with a key can be used all over the world.
Also it was very helpful with the Steam information.
Now I know if I buy the boxed version, Steam is not needed.
And if I buy the Steam version, Steam is needed (of course).
Problem solved and thanks for help
Old 04-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Breet

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstar View Post
And if I buy the Steam version, Steam is needed (of course).
Not completely correct there, some people have said they got their cd key from steam (cd key link on right side in library) and just downloaded the installer from the darkspore page and had no issues at all.
Breet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
moonstar

Thanks for correcting me there
I was reading some other posts and you are right.

I also want to give some reputation to people that have helped me on the Steam forums so far (not only through this post), but I can not figure out how to do it.
Send me a private message anyone if you know how to hand out reputation for a good answer.

And sorry again, for a reply that was not correct (but I got corrected and that is good (did not want to give wrong information))

Oh I found that I can give reputation now by clicking an icon under the name of the person that wrote. Did not see the icon before, but now I can see it. So all good now

Last edited by moonstar: 04-29-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: New information

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darkspore