Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis

Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
CaRnaGe30

Audio screechs

I have had Cryostasis for awhile now. I played a bit and looks very very good to me, except for some of the performance issues (I want to get the absolute best graphics out of the game but it doesn't seem possible).

Anyway, I got to a point where there is a flash back and am outside. When am outside my audio goes bonkers. Horrible, deafening screeches come out of my speaker during these events, even in the menu during these events I think...its been a long time since I've tried it again.

I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to fix it yet? I've got a Realtek, not a sound card.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
pureobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRnaGe30 View Post
I have had Cryostasis for awhile now. I played a bit and looks very very good to me, except for some of the performance issues (I want to get the absolute best graphics out of the game but it doesn't seem possible).

Anyway, I got to a point where there is a flash back and am outside. When am outside my audio goes bonkers. Horrible, deafening screeches come out of my speaker during these events, even in the menu during these events I think...its been a long time since I've tried it again.

I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to fix it yet? I've got a Realtek, not a sound card.
You're sure that it's 'screeching' and not just the screaming wind? If there's one thing I remember about Cryostasis it's that anytime you go outside you hear deafening wind howling.

If not, I've seen some very strange issues with old Realtek drivers -- have you tried updating them to the latest?
pureobscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
ElfShotTheFood

If you have an older sound card/onboard sound chip, it could be a problem with the hardware audio or EAX. I had similar problems with high-pitched, unpleasant bursts of static in other games, and I got rid of it by turning off the 3D audio and just using basic audio acceleration.

Does the game's audio settings have an option for acceleration or positional sound? If it does, maybe try disabling the feature.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cryostasis