Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > James Cameronís Avatar: The Game

Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
packersfan85

Question Anyone Else think this game would be a good MMO

Every time i play this game i feel like it should be an MMO just wondering if others share this feeling or if im just wierd

Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Iron-Mike

No...you are right. I feel the same way. It would be really awesome if they could make a MMO called Avatar Online or something.
Iron-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
tophat2k

In truth Cameron's original grand design for Avatar specifically included an MMO that was supposed to be launched substantialy prior to the feature film, his thinking being that the MMO could firmly establish the mythos of the world and the conflict between the two factions in detail. However, while Lightstorm Entertainment, Cameron's company, did pursue finding an established game company to develop the project for awhile, it appears that a partner never emerged willing to agree to the licensing terms and the gamble involved in starting up a MMO to largely support a film that was then seen as risky. When the film itself went into production, but with the MMO endeavor far too delayed to pair up for a concentrated marketing push, Lightstorm and Cameron did finally team up with Ubisoft to make what would become the game that's on store shelves and Steam, but one done at a more typical major retail release cost and with a severely limited multiplayer component.

Given his tenacity, I wouldn't put it past Cameron to go after an Avatar MMO again.
tophat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
quicksmasher

Could you please...

explain me what MMO exactly is? =) Thank you!
quicksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
arizonachris

An MMO is a "Massive Multiplayer Online" game, where hundreds of players can all play the same game, at the same time, online. World of Warcraft and Star Trek Online are MMO's.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
AlHudsonFX

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat2k View Post
In truth Cameron's original grand design for Avatar specifically included an MMO that was supposed to be launched substantialy prior to the feature film, his thinking being that the MMO could firmly establish the mythos of the world and the conflict between the two factions in detail. However, while Lightstorm Entertainment, Cameron's company, did pursue finding an established game company to develop the project for awhile, it appears that a partner never emerged willing to agree to the licensing terms and the gamble involved in starting up a MMO to largely support a film that was then seen as risky. When the film itself went into production, but with the MMO endeavor far too delayed to pair up for a concentrated marketing push, Lightstorm and Cameron did finally team up with Ubisoft to make what would become the game that's on store shelves and Steam, but one done at a more typical major retail release cost and with a severely limited multiplayer component.

Given his tenacity, I wouldn't put it past Cameron to go after an Avatar MMO again.
Interesting because the truth is Avatar in MMO should be great.
AlHudsonFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
quicksmasher

Yeah but they have out-developed multiplayer way to little to make it populare enough for this.

And all the maps are currently for only little amount of players (16 i saw in youtube vids), so theyd have to change pretty much EVERYTHING to make it "MMO" (looked up what it means in wikipedia, but thx for your explanation).

Also, they have to work on a multiplayer suiting engine. This one sucks badly, too much hp, too less damage, no create a class and safe it system, crappy lobby system etc ...
quicksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
androsath

The issue with an MMO in any form let alone relating to this particular story is that it would require alot of story. Until Avatar 2 is released I dont really see there being much more of a story to run with.

That issue aside JC would be the one to take this and make it brilliant but I am just wary of any company getting their hands on it on the chance that it would be butchered beyond recognition. This fear aside I am keeping my ears to the ground and will be one of the first to shout in these forums if I hear anything about an Avatar MMO.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
HaVok

This would be wicked as an MMO... being a human leveling up might be kind of crappy tho
HaVok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
flarp

Almost all MMO are virtually destroyed in a few years; they just cannot compete with the player base of WoW or even some of the smaller established MMO's.

That's why i never buy MMO's anymore; i dont like paying $50.00 for a game and having to worry that the servers will shut down and i'll be unable to play the game i bought.
flarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
androsath

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarp View Post
Almost all MMO are virtually destroyed in a few years; they just cannot compete with the player base of WoW or even some of the smaller established MMO's.

That's why i never buy MMO's anymore; i dont like paying $50.00 for a game and having to worry that the servers will shut down and i'll be unable to play the game i bought.
Love how a game isnt even in alpha and its already criticized.
This is why MMOs dont last that and people want what wow is easy gimme stuff with incredibly stupid progression. People remember DAOC or EQ where it was hours of work if a raid wiped? I dont but I wish I had experienced that.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
bryonhowley

I would never by any MMO there are all absolute crap.
bryonhowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
AlHudson1

Seems that James Cameron also considers a MMORPG:
"would 'love' a 3D-enabled Avatar MMORPG."

Source
AlHudson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
HaVok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonhowley View Post
I would never by any MMO there are all absolute crap.
absolute crap and the #1 game in the world is an MMO
HaVok is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > James Cameronís Avatar: The Game