Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Uplink

Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
beltshumeltz

Books to read in between games

I just played the demo and this game's "feel" was so good that I bought it right after it introduced the menu screens

I felt similarly after starting the Darwinia demo. So I bought the package that contains both games.

I noticed that the starting rank was Neuromancer.

Neuromancer was the novel that good the Sci-fi genre known as "Cyberpunk" started. I actually finished reading it last week, and basically anything that gives off this kind of feel I find wonderful.

I was wondering if you guys know similar books that are worth reading. Books about hacking, about cyberspace stuff, done in a Sci-Fi way like this game, like Darwinia, and like the above mentionned book...

This stimulates my imagination just the way I like.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
¿Señor Freeman?

Snowcrash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowcrash
¿Señor Freeman? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
beltshumeltz

I have now ordered it, along with a programming book (to get free shipping I needed a 40$ order)

Quote:
Greetings from Amazon.ca!

We thought you'd like to know we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.ca, and we hope to see you again soon!

You can track the status of this order, and all of your orders, online by
visiting the Your Account page at http://www.amazon.ca/your-account/.
There, you can:
* track order and shipment status.
* review estimated delivery dates.
* cancel unshipped items.
* return items, and do much more!

The following items were included in this shipment:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
1 Effective Java CDN$ 34.64 1 CDN$ 34.64
1 Snow Crash CDN$ 14.28 1 CDN$ 14.28
Sold by Amazon.ca, Inc - taxed
Item Subtotal: CDN$ 48.92
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00

Total tax: CDN$ 2.44

GST: CDN$ 2.44

PST: CDN$ 0.00

Total: CDN$ 51.36

Paid by Visa: CDN$ 51.36
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
pez0

Banned
You bought a $34 book to get the free shipping? And on java? There are few languages better documented freely than Java.

Still, if you like cyberpunk you ----MUST---- play Deus Ex. It's available on steam.
pez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Lio

If you are to only buy 1 book i suggest "Hacking: The art of exploitation" by Jon Erickson.

Its a really great introduction. I think its out in a second edition with a linux cd on it or something.

forgot to say that the book is not fiction and you get the most out of it if you are farmilier with unix like OS's, C and assembly language etc.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
L4fferT.Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
If you are to only buy 1 book i suggest "Hacking: The art of exploitation" by Jon Erickson.

Its a really great introduction. I think its out in a second edition with a linux cd on it or something.

forgot to say that the book is not fiction and you get the most out of it if you are farmilier with unix like OS's, C and assembly language etc.
I've got that, along with a few other reverse-engineering and assembly books.
I think they were talking about hacking fanfiction. Not actual books on security testing.
While some people on Steam may understand how to install configure and run something like metasploit or nmap, I highly doubt they'd understand how to utilize such applications.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Mulky

Not sure if you know, but Neuromancer is the first book in a trilogy. The other two are "Count Zero" and "Mona Lisa Overdrive".
Mulky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
BlueLegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez0 View Post
Still, if you like cyberpunk you ----MUST---- play Deus Ex. It's available on steam.
there also is a game called Neuro Hunter. it is cyberpunk, and the wiki sais "The game was marketed as a mix between Deus Ex, System Shock and Gothic series of video games." the gameplay is mostly modeled after Deus Ex and thats what made it interesting for me. disadvantage: its not steam delivered (yet?)

FYI: Neuromancer isnt the starting rank, neutral is your starting Neuromancer rank

Last edited by BlueLegion: 06-29-2010 at 05:01 AM.
BlueLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
Mctittles

Not a book, but my interest in this game led me to this story of a real "hacker". One of the best reads I've found.

http://www.textfiles.com/history/c0dez.txt
Mctittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
spyrochaete

Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash is a fun fiction novel, although it gets a little silly.

There's also a wonderful non-fiction book by Steve Levy called Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. It's the biographical accounts of people like Steve Wozniak (of Apple), John Draper (aka Cap'n Crunch), and Ken Williams (of Sierra Online) and what it was like during those early days of white, grey, and black hat computing. Very entertaining read.

Kevin Mitnick's books are really great too. I particularly like his first one called The Art of Deception which is about social engineering. The world's most sophisticated security systems are useless if you have some gullible sucker at the controls, right?
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
HoverBacon101

Metrophage by Richard Kadrey is a full on cyberpunk novel that I enjoyed greatly. Better still it is available as a free ebook

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/1810/metrophage

It is also worth searching for some of his other work online as most of it is free and of the same style.

For people who enjoy cyberpunk fiction it is worth reading the "Geek Mafia" series by Rick Dakan, about a group of hackers activist "techno pirates" and their exploits.

Once again they are available as free ebooks online.

http://www.manybooks.net/titles/daka...eek_Mafia.html

+rep if you like the books is welcome

Last edited by HoverBacon101: 05-25-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: p.s.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Uplink