Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #121
TheOdds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KralHigham View Post
How many bought it for Windows but happen to play it on a Mac occasionally.
These people need to get out of the closet...

The Mac-closet, that is.
TheOdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #122
NSGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
Well Handbrake was successful in converting the video files to a working format in Sony Vegas. However, despite Handbrake miraculously compressing an 80MB .mov file into a 5MB .mp4 file without losing any video quality somehow, Sony Vegas lags like hell as if it's loading a really huge video. On top of that, it shows a whole lot of screen tear and a random mess of pixels all over the screen when viewed and re-rendered.
Handbrake obviously introduced a huge amount of inter-frame compression to save all of that file size. Inter-frame compression is achieved by creating a keyframe, and then, instead of saving all of the information for each individual frame one right after another, only saving the information for what pixels have changed from the key frame.

Using this method can dramatically reduce the file size of a movie. However, it can also be very processor intensive. So much so that it's exactly what you don't want to do if you want to edit the video in an app like Sony Vegas. Inter-frame compression will make scrubbing along in the timeline very difficult, as each time you move the bar, your computer will have to crunch the numbers in order to generate what the movie will look like at that given point.

If you specify H264 as the export format in TF2, you'll want to make sure that the video you work with in Sony Vegas has enough key frames (I usually use QuickTime's automatic setting, though one key frame every second would be a good starting point). Or, even better, if you have the hard drive space and enough throughput, avoid H264 and go with the Motion JPEG codec at higher settings. Unlike H264, Motion JPEG doesn't use inter-frame compression, so it should make editing the video even easier.

Hope this helps...
NSGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #123
TheGentlemanne

For some reason, when I exported my Saxton Hale video to Quicktime, it wouldn't play his voice responses but had in-game sounds. Is there a way to fix this in editing replays? Or in Quicktime? It worked (Saxton Hale's voice) in Replay Editing and my take/scene, but when I exported and watched it on Quicktime, it didn't play Saxton Hale's voice responses.
TheGentlemanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #124
Graveflood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGod View Post
Handbrake obviously introduced a huge amount of inter-frame compression to save all of that file size. Inter-frame compression is achieved by creating a keyframe, and then, instead of saving all of the information for each individual frame one right after another, only saving the information for what pixels have changed from the key frame.

Using this method can dramatically reduce the file size of a movie. However, it can also be very processor intensive. So much so that it's exactly what you don't want to do if you want to edit the video in an app like Sony Vegas. Inter-frame compression will make scrubbing along in the timeline very difficult, as each time you move the bar, your computer will have to crunch the numbers in order to generate what the movie will look like at that given point.

If you specify H264 as the export format in TF2, you'll want to make sure that the video you work with in Sony Vegas has enough key frames (I usually use QuickTime's automatic setting, though one key frame every second would be a good starting point). Or, even better, if you have the hard drive space and enough throughput, avoid H264 and go with the Motion JPEG codec at higher settings. Unlike H264, Motion JPEG doesn't use inter-frame compression, so it should make editing the video even easier.

Hope this helps...
The problem for me in Vegas is the fallowing: Rendering in mjpeg or H264 leads to the video stream not showing up in vegas, only the audio.

The funny thing is that MJPEG and/or H264 out of an other rendering application (a good application, so any other application then that piece of garbage called quicktime) work fine in Vegas.

Valve, stop using garbage!
Graveflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #125
Obsidian1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfThoseDays View Post
I also tried the TGA/WAV export option, but it didn't seem to export out the WAV file.
Just hit this myself. No WAV file is produced. This makes the TGA/WAV export feature virtually useless.
Obsidian1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #126
MeStinkBAD

Why are you mad at Quicktime? You do know that Microsoft never bothered to include support for the MP4 container with Windows until it released Windows 7. If you don't have Windows 7 you can't play MP4 files without downloading 3rd party software. iTunes requires Quicktime to run. And therefore a large number of users already have Quicktime installed. 40% of Steam users I believe on Windows already have Quicktime installed.

Also, Microsoft has depreciated DirectPlay in favor of XNA for it's Xbox and Games for Windows Live services (which require a license agreement, unlike Quicktime or DirectPlay).

The easiest solution in the end is to use the Quicktime framework, which supports a wide variety a formats and containers. It's multiplatform. And it works. And let me remind you that you do not have to TOUCH the quicktime software yourself. Just install it. And never touch it again.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #127
Obsidian1510

Regardless of your apple Hammer Legion Memberishness, there's better (and much more cross-compatible) formats out there. Heard of the Matroska video container?

...Probably not.
Obsidian1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #128
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian1510 View Post
Regardless of your apple Hammer Legion Memberishness, there's better (and much more cross-compatible) formats out there. Heard of the Matroska video container?

...Probably not.
.MOV is NOT A FORMAT! It's a CONTAINER. Same goes for .MKV. You can stick a .mkv file in a .mov container and vice versa. You need to KNOW what you are talking about.

Of course neither Quicktime nor WMP support MKV without 3rd party plugins. No major framework supports the .MKV format.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD: 05-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #129
mreeuwij

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
Why are you mad at Quicktime? You do know that Microsoft never bothered to include support for the MP4 container with Windows until it released Windows 7. If you don't have Windows 7 you can't play MP4 files without downloading 3rd party software. iTunes requires Quicktime to run. And therefore a large number of users already have Quicktime installed. 40% of Steam users I believe on Windows already have Quicktime installed.

Also, Microsoft has depreciated DirectPlay in favor of XNA for it's Xbox and Games for Windows Live services (which require a license agreement, unlike Quicktime or DirectPlay).

The easiest solution in the end is to use the Quicktime framework, which supports a wide variety a formats and containers. It's multiplatform. And it works. And let me remind you that you do not have to TOUCH the quicktime software yourself. Just install it. And never touch it again.
well, QT breaks my codecs I've installed. and iTunes is even worse for an application. I've installed Quicktime Alternative to overcome that.

and wow, 40% steam users have QT installed? oh my, didn't know TF2 was THAT popular....

There plenty of other open source codecs that work great other then paid ones. But don't expect us to render in QT files that only seems work fine with an APPLE program called "Final Cut Studio". Most PC users don't have a mac, let alone a apple only program for it. Use one that actually is usable in most editor programs, like MS Movie maker, Sony Vegas, etc. instead of after making it a QT MOV file, having to convert it (OH, its multiplatform!!)

And using iTunes as argument, really?
/cookiepalm
cos a double facepalm is not enough!
mreeuwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #130
RandomEngy

So yeah, why not MP4/H.264/AAC again? Plays natively on Windows and Mac and you don't have to install garbage software.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #131
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomEngy View Post
So yeah, why not MP4/H.264/AAC again? Plays natively on Windows and Mac and you don't have to install garbage software.
Go look up the reason. You want to know why, you figure it out yourself. It doesn't matter what I say, or anyone else says, on this forum or any other. I explained why the .MOV container is being used.

BTW, if you have Windows 7 installed, you should be able to open these .mov files with Windows Media Player. Maybe Movie Maker. I don't know haven't tried it. Don't use Movie Maker much. I know you can't export WMM movies in any other format but WMV. But that's not an issue since youtube supports WMV.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #132
Graveflood

Quote:
BTW, if you have Windows 7 installed, you should be able to open these .mov files with Windows Media Player. Maybe Movie Maker. I don't know haven't tried it. Don't use Movie Maker much. I know you can't export WMM movies in any other format but WMV. But that's not an issue since youtube supports WMV.
WMP doesn't play the video stream of these mov files, only the audio stream. WMM, if it doesn't crash, also only the audio. Same goes for sony vegas.

It's always nice to have someone on a forum who knows all, but hasn't tried anything and so has no clue.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #133
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflood View Post
WMP doesn't play the video stream of these mov files, only the audio stream. WMM, if it doesn't crash, also only the audio. Same goes for sony vegas.

It's always nice to have someone on a forum who knows all, but hasn't tried anything and so has no clue.
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...t-to-mov-files

This is a great addition to the [Windows 7] RC along with various other changes. No longer we need to download Apple QuickTime or other alternatives like VLC Media Player, just to watch .mov files!

File needs to be stored using H.264 not MJPEG. Then you'll have both audio and video. And if you don't... I swear to god the Universe is broken today. Cuz it worked for me.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD: 05-30-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #134
Graveflood

Quote:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...t-to-mov-files

This is a great addition to the [Windows 7] RC along with various other changes. No longer we need to download Apple QuickTime or other alternatives like VLC Media Player, just to watch .mov files!

File needs to be stored using H.264 not MJPEG. Then you'll have both audio and video. And if you don't... I swear to god the Universe is broken today. Cuz it worked for me.
I mean the h264 video stream out of the mov that quicktime makes in Team Fortress 2. WMP is not able to play it back, at all.
But I can watch any other files with h264 streams. Created with x264 or Main Concept AVC or Sony AVC, all that, no problem for WMP, TF2_Quicktime_h264... nope, not working.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #135
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflood View Post
I mean the h264 video stream out of the mov that quicktime makes in Team Fortress 2. WMP is not able to play it back, at all.
But I can watch any other files with h264 streams. Created with x264 or Main Concept AVC or Sony AVC, all that, no problem for WMP, TF2_Quicktime_h264... nope, not working.
Well... there is no such thing as quicktime_h.264. Just H.264. And it worked for me. You have to be using Windows 7.

Here's a .MOV file I saved using Quicktime Player using it's H.264 and AAC codecs. DOES IT OPEN IN WMP? (Probably will need to right click and do SAVE AS)

Last edited by MeStinkBAD: 05-30-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2