Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Pipsqueak

Terraria just won't work

So I first bought the game about 3 days after the initial release. I bought it and well it crashed after being played for about 30 seconds (the program has stopped working and must be closed). I was like "ok I heard there were occasianal crashing issues something to expect from a freshly released game especially an indie one" So I load it up and after about 20 seconds, crashes again, this time the game just stops working and plays the music but my mouse goes behind the window. Infact it seemed to crash sooner every single time doing that same thing every time. I go to the support page reinstall the .net framework and XAT (I think that's it) and verify my game cache and.... I make a world I play around break about 3 blocks and "Terraria has stopped working" I sigh and go to the forums to see that my problem isnt an isolated case. I try unplugging my head set, using speakers, disabling certain softwares I read cause issuses, even reinstalled it and verified again and... Still nothing.

I haven't bothered to try for a while now, hoping it would soon get patched since I would hope that about 1/4 of the people who buy it can't play it they would fix it, and still nothing. Is there some magical fix I just don't know about? Please help me, I really want this game to work, it looks like the perfect game to just cuddle up and chill while I play.

Oh BTW I installed it on my crappy laptop and it works fine. No issues what so ever. But like I said its crappy and overheats before I really got to enjoy anything

My desktop is running windows XP and my Laptop windows 7, that's really the only thing I can see it surpassing my desktop in is the windows version... so yeah. My; best guess is that it's some kind of file confliction. But I don't know what. Any suggestions would be so appreciated, I will give anyone a high five for any thing they can tell me that might work.

SPECS:
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series
Processor: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Ram: 1.5 Gigs
Windows XP

Last edited by Pipsqueak: 06-01-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
spartan0078

Post your specs, GPU CPU etc etc

i know there's alot of issues with ppl not having a GPU that supports pixel shader 1.1
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Pipsqueak

Oosh I don't remember how to get my exact specs on that note pad thing (I believe it was called something to the effect of dchidiag) but I'll ive you what I can

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series
Processor: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Ram: 1.5 Gigs
Windows XP
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
starlinvf

You'll need to go in a verify.... you listed 3 generations of video cards.

And if you are running all 3... that might have something to do with it
starlinvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
spartan0078

That could be his computer just listing the Family his GPU is part of. it might not be giving the specific.

If your having trouble with your specs download speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy

X1050 does not support support pixel shader 1.1 but anything form the 9xxx series does i believe...download speccy and post your actual GPU

I doubt its the issue tho since you cna get into the game it may be another glitch somewhere

Try downloading XNA from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

If that doesnt help try reinstalling DirectX i dunno how much DX this game uses but a full package install of it may do the trick
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
SquallWindblade

It's a shame that you couldn't give us more info on that error, but I'm guessing that your system doesn't have enough RAM. 1.5 GB does exceed the minimum requirements for Terraria, which explains why you can get in, but if other parts of your system are consuming more than 1GB of memory, you're going to see this game crash.

I'd run a quick check for malware if your processes list looks clean.
SquallWindblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Geotpf

Your computer is older, but Terraria isn't the most resource intensive game, so that shouldn't be the problem. You might try completely uninstalling .net and then manually downloading it from Microsoft's page and see if that works.
Geotpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Pipsqueak

This is going to be awfully long winded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlinvf View Post
You'll need to go in a verify.... you listed 3 generations of video cards.

And if you are running all 3... that might have something to do with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan0078 View Post
That could be his computer just listing the Family his GPU is part of. it might not be giving the specific.

If your having trouble with your specs download speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy

X1050 does not support support pixel shader 1.1 but anything form the 9xxx series does i believe...download speccy and post your actual GPU

I doubt its the issue tho since you cna get into the game it may be another glitch somewhere

Try downloading XNA from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

If that doesnt help try reinstalling DirectX i dunno how much DX this game uses but a full package install of it may do the trick
It decided to give me 3 generations when I checked :x But here's my speccy Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
1.5GB DDR @ 132MHz (2-3-3-6)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 00T606 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
MX50 (1024x768@60Hz)
ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Hard Drives
78GB Western Digital WDC WD800BD-00MRA1 (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Also I installed Direct X (I think installed since it didn't ask me if I wanted to uninstall or repair...) And now it crashes upon launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquallWindblade View Post
It's a shame that you couldn't give us more info on that error, but I'm guessing that your system doesn't have enough RAM. 1.5 GB does exceed the minimum requirements for Terraria, which explains why you can get in, but if other parts of your system are consuming more than 1GB of memory, you're going to see this game crash.

I'd run a quick check for malware if your processes list looks clean.
Ran a full scan for malware and nothing came up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotpf View Post
Your computer is older, but Terraria isn't the most resource intensive game, so that shouldn't be the problem. You might try completely uninstalling .net and then manually downloading it from Microsoft's page and see if that works.
Already tried doing both .net and XNA manually, and repaired. Still didn't work.

But yeah for those of you who didn't catch it not it crashes upon start up after installing Direct X....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
starlinvf

Quick thought...

Whats the model number of your Dell? Or better yet, PM me your Dell express code/service tag. I can pull the hardware profile off the Dell site with it

Last edited by starlinvf: 06-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
starlinvf

Ok tracked down the relevant info. The card is installed after market, ATI Radeon 9600 (AGP) based on the RV350 chipset, supports Shader model 2.0 (game needs at least 1.1) DX 9.0, and should work.

My guess is you probably just need to update your drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria