Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever

Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Finfid

15 years of Hype?

How can any game possibly manage to live up to that kind of expectation? For those of us still alive who played the original 3 games, I predict a tremendous amount of disappointment in playing Duke Forever. For the current 20 somethings, they have very little to compare it with except for the current generation of Shooters. Even if the younger crowd were to install Duke 3D and try to capture the original joy that the older crowd experienced, there is no possible way for them to appreciate how cool and awesome Duke 3D and the Build engine were in their day.

I'd like to be wrong, I hope Duke will live on in infinite glory.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
gscualo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfid View Post
How can any game possibly manage to live up to that kind of expectation? For those of us still alive who played the original 3 games, I predict a tremendous amount of disappointment in playing Duke Forever. For the current 20 somethings, they have very little to compare it with except for the current generation of Shooters. Even if the younger crowd were to install Duke 3D and try to capture the original joy that the older crowd experienced, there is no possible way for them to appreciate how cool and awesome Duke 3D and the Build engine were in their day.

I'd like to be wrong, I hope Duke will live on in infinite glory.
AMEN YOU TOO BRO!
gscualo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Verwandlung

DNF is nothing like DN3D, it takes the worst parts of both 'old' and new games and combines them into what probably is the worst FPS since Daikatana.
Verwandlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Finfid

Oh dude, Daikatana! Thats pretty messed up.
Finfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
C4Chaos42

This game should've been released on April fools day, it would've explained this monstrosity.
C4Chaos42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
F-Minus

I didn't have high expectations for DNF, still the product we got is something that would not be released by anyone in this day of time... but it was released because it's Duke Nukem.

The game lacks everything, it feels like an alpha built of some project, to test out different scenarios, it's inconsistent with everything, the level design looks like it has been done by 12 year old, the art design is abysmal, the jokes are old and expected.

It lacks any kind of polish, I really feel like playing some indie mod of a Unreal Engine game, something 5 15 year old kids would do in their free time.

Yes it has Duke, but that's the only positive thing I can come up with.

Everything from A to Z is bad, as said, such game in todays time would get past Q&A - never. It feels exactly as it's story - it seems that parts of the game were created in 2001 some in 2003 some about a month ago and all mixed together - I mean you can see the difference of the design and stuff changing, it's just bad.

It plays like , it looks like , it is .
F-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
chokke

Banned
From the looks of it. It sounds like this game should've forever been in production rather then actually coming on the market after reading the reviews and impression.

Oh well.
chokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
dpeters911

Duke retired in 1997 and has been busy cooking breakfast ever since... with someone's mom. She had sausage, btw.
dpeters911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
tixe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verwandlung View Post
DNF is nothing like DN3D, it takes the worst parts of both 'old' and new games and combines them into what probably is the worst FPS since Daikatana.
Why everyone quote TB? Have your own brain.. it's far from the worst game. All new games are as scripted the DNF BUT we expected more of the oldschool playing with more freedom. This duke had no freedom, just scripted action.
tixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Verwandlung

Quote:
Originally Posted by tixe View Post
Why everyone quote TB?

Because he has very valid points and he explains them very well.

Did anyone quote him in this thread already?

Oh well here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE
Verwandlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
C4Chaos42

Quote:
Because he has very valid points and he explains them very well.

Did anyone quote him in this thread already?

Oh well here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86vWgaLuwE
yup here :P

Quote:
His points align with a lot of us that played DN3D back in the day.
C4Chaos42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Duke Nukem Forever