Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Demonleaf

SquLo 2 ? Point system concerns

Dear TrueThought,

By my nature, i'm not nearly as methodical or logical as i should be. To be sure, i'm better than i used to be. To that end, i've been drawn to kakuro and ken-ken and to a lesser extent, another type of numbers puzzle called Skycrapers. Square Logic has been amazingly effective in helping my reasoning skills.

But it begs the question- does TrueThought intend on a SquLo sequel? It would be a lot of fun to be able to do co-op or competitive puzzles.

But one point of concern that my girlfriend and i have- currently she's ranked 187 on the leaderboards. If a puzzle doesn't have any garbage blocks, she can work out a 9x9 in her head. I've seen her do this many times and have assisted her on occasion. HOWEVER, when looking at some of the leaders above her, it seems their scores are heavily sandbagged by doing hundreds of the 4x4's and 5x5's. She, on the other hand, has earned most of her points by solving 399 Sky and 129 Beyond puzzles.

It seems unfair that the leaderboard is slanted towards quantity and not quality.

To that end, i have some humble suggestions.

All puzzles would have a base score for being achieved. Penalties for clues,over par and wrong answers would be deducted from the overall score.

If a puzzle is solved with a perfect score (eg: 36 steps for 6x6's, 49 for 7x7's, etc...) then they would receive bonus points and perhaps a gold star instead of a check mark on the overview page.

As a rough idea, a 4x4 would be worth a base 16 points, 5x5's worth 25, etc...

BUT to make the point system equitable, i would suggest that each level be given a multiplier. That is, 4x4's would be tallied then a base multiplier of 1x assigned to it. 5x5's would be scored, then given a 2x multiplier. That would leave 9x9's with a multiplier of 6.

The net effect would be that if someone spends the time solving 1000 4x4 puzzles, the economy of scale would prevent those people from being in the same league as those that rise to the upper tier challenges.

Oh, and while i'm on it- would it be feasible to consider a replay feature?

Thank you for SquLo btw- i think it's the finest puzzle game out there.

Last edited by Demonleaf: 06-17-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add the monkeys
Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
captain_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonleaf View Post
BUT to make the point system equitable, i would suggest that each level be given a multiplier. That is, 4x4's would be tallied then a base multiplier of 1x assigned to it. 5x5's would be scored, then given a 2x multiplier. That would leave 9x9's with a multiplier of 6.

The net effect would be that if someone spends the time solving 1000 4x4 puzzles, the economy of scale would prevent those people from being in the same league as those that rise to the upper tier challenges.

Oh, and while i'm on it- would it be feasible to consider a replay feature?
You may not entirely understand how the scoring system works. The points are already weighted by puzzle size. Assuming you don't go over par:

4x4 = 5 points
5x5 = 10 points
6x6 = 20 points
7x7 = 35 points
8x8 = 55 points (except for the 8x8's in Beyond)
9x9 and all other puzzles in Beyond = 80 points.

So, you can solve the entire Ocean region (5,000 puzzles) and still not make it onto the top 200 of the leaderboard. Some players have started from the bottom and worked their way up, and others have started from the top and worked down. Anyone who is that high on the leaderboard has done quite a bit of solving to get there; the bottom-up players have solved a lot more puzzles in total for the same rank.

There is a scoring penalty for going over par. There is no scoring bonus for being well under par or for solving in the minimum steps, which is a good suggestion.

There already is a "replay" feature; you can use the reset buttons to clear any individual puzzle, any location or any region. Be careful how you use these, as once you do it you've updated your save file (unless you have a backup local copy of your save file, per the instructions in the "restoring lost progress" sticky thread).

As far as a sequel or a DLC expansion, Ken has dropped some hints in the past, but has been silent recently. They were very busy with another project, and now I dunno.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
inspiral66

At the risk of sounding stoopid, where's this leaderboard? I 'completed' the game when it came out and remember there being Steam achievements. I don't recall ever seeing a leaderboard though.
inspiral66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
captain_video

You have to go to your Steam community page to see the leaderboard. There are actually two leaderboards you can see, a global top 200, and a separate list of your friends' scores (if you have any Steam friends who own the game). If by "completing" the game you mean you solved every challenge puzzle and unlocked every location, it is unlikely you scored high enough to make it onto the top 200 list. There are over 20,000 puzzles in total.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
inspiral66

A-ha! Thanks for that, Cap Video.
inspiral66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic