Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
MrShooter

EVE Online - Now with $60 monocles!

Hello and welcome, prospective new players Eve Online! As it will no doubt be making the front page of the Steam store sometime this week, I thought I would take those of you checking out the game's forum section before you buy on a short tour of the new features in EVE Online's latest expansion:

INCARNA

For the first time, players are now able to forced to exit their pods and explore the confines of a rusted Minmatar captain's quarter, complete with trash bags stuffed into a corner, regardless of what race the player is and what race built the station they are docked in. This is an exciting turning point in eve history for us all, finally bringing proper immersion to those who wished for it from the very beginning. You still can't visit other players on foot or exit your own private quarters to see the station at large, but CCP has assured us that once enough monocles are purchased they will get right on Incarna 1.1.

Speaking of monocles, exciting new clothing options have been added for those who want a slightly wider selection of character customization options.
What you see in that screenshot is the ENTIRE selection of beautifully arranged new clothing, for sale with CCP's new microtransaction currency, Aurum.

If you want to get a better look at the item before you buy it, click on its icon and you can preview it in 3D on a mannequin. Neat!

Aurum can be obtained in exchange for a Pilots License EXtension (PLEX), that very same item you have heard about that lets you play an additional 30 days, at an exchange rate of 3,500 Aurum per PLEX. You can purchase 2 PLEX straight from your account management page for $35. You do the math, but I assure you it is an entirely new paradigm in the market of microtransactions. CCP has shown Valve who is the boss and it is glorious.

Why pay $39.99 for a real EVE Online Guristas hoodie shipped straight to your home when you can INSTANTLY get an Olive Drab military dress for your character at nearly the same price? Ha! Ha! Drugs aren't cheap kids.

In addition to the Mann-conomy, this update to Team Fortress 2 includes new turret models, animations, and effects for all weapons and the ability to preview weapons. Ever wanted to know what a Dual Giga Beam Laser looks like? Open the in-game market interface, look it up, and click on it's icon. It will open a preview window, just like with the hats!

Ready to give eve online a spin? Just download the 14 day trial from steam! Better yet, hop on over to the "Free 21-day trial for everyone" thread and get a 1 week longer buddy trial! Please! At this rate it's the only way any of us will be able to afford a pair of boots!

UPDATE:

CCP has taken precious time out of their day to address the boorish rabble on their official forums about the "ridiculous and insulting prices for virtual goods". Hah! This will shut up the peasantry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP Zulu
Pricing structure
People have been shocked by the price range in the NeX store, but you should remember that we are talking about clothes. Look at the clothes you are currently wearing in real life. Do you have any specific brands? Did you choose it because it was better quality than a no-name brand? Assume for a short while that you are wearing a pair of $1,000 jeans from some exclusive Japanese boutique shop. Why would you want to wear a pair of $1,000 jeans when you can get perfectly similar jeans for under $50? What do other people think about you when they see you wearing them? For some you will look like the sad culmination of vainness while others will admire you and think you are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit. You don't need to buy expensive clothes. In fact you don't need to buy any clothes. Whatever you choose to do reflects what you are and what you want others to think you are.
We will gradually introduce items at other price points, definitely lower and probably higher than what‘s in the store today. We hope you enjoy them and are as passionate about them as you are of the current items that are for sale.
Quote:
and probably higher than what‘s in the store today
Fools! This was only the start, intended to make the poor feel welcome! Today, $60 monocles. Tomorrow, $280 SHOES.

Quote:
I hope I‘ve addressed your concerns and cleared up a lot of the issues you‘re having. We‘ll continue monitoring the forums and other communications channels and pick up and reply if there are concerns not covered by this blog.
Thanks zulu you're the best

UPDATE 2:
Leaked internal email

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ACTUAL CEO OF CCP

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:16:54 -0400
To: riverini@gmail.com
Subject: ccp ceo global msg sent today
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=.UTF-8.
Message-Id: <20110623221654.CF1E76F438@smtp.hushmail.com>

sent by hilmar to ccp global list-

(strt)

We live in interesting times; in fact CCP is the kind of company that if things get repetitive we instinctively crank it up a notch. That, we certainly have done this week. First of we have Incarna, an amazing technological and artistic achievement. A vision from years ago realized to a point that no one could have imaged but a few months ago. It rolls out without a hitch, is in some cases faster than what we had before, this is the pinnacle of professional achievement. For all the noise in the channel we should all stand proud, years from now this is what people will remember.

But we have done more, not only have we redefined the production quality one can apply to virtual worlds with the beautiful Incarna but we have also defined what it really means to make virtual reality more meaningful than real life when it comes to launching our new virtual goods currency, Aurum.

Naturally, we have caught the attention of the world. Only a few weeks ago we revealed more information about DUST 514 and now we have done it again by committing to our core purpose as a company by redefining assumptions. After 40 hours we have already sold 52 monocles, generating more revenue than any of the other items in the store.

This we have done after months of research by a group of highly competent professionals, soliciting input and perspective from thought leaders and experts in and around our industry. We have communicated our intention here internally in very wide circles through the Virtual Economy Summit presentation at the GSM, our Fearless newsletter, sprint reviews, email lists and multiple other channels. This should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change.

We went out with a decisive strategy on pricing and we will stay the course and not flip flop around or knee jerk react to the predictable. That is not saying nothing will change, on the contrary, in fact we know that success in this space is through learning and adapting to _what is actually happening_ and new knowledge gained in addition to what we knew before and expected.

All that said, I couldnât be prouder of what we have accomplished as a company, changing the world is hard and we are doing it as so many times before! Stay the course, we have done this many times before.

(end)
52 MONOCLES IN 40 HOURS WELL HOT DAMN
You see, I would have charged 10% of their current price and sold 520+ of them in 40 hours resulting in the same or probably much greater revenue and dodge a comical ****storm in the process but I'm just some nerd you're the boss I'm sure you know what's best

Last edited by MrShooter: 06-24-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: I can't make this **** up
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
toquio3

"Hi guys! Check me out. Im flying around in space with a 1.3 billion ISK item. Come and get me!"
toquio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Puchi Kitsune

Yea, I am still hoping that all those prices in Noble Exchange is a mistake, and someone in accounting mistyped a zero, or two... :\
Puchi Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
PhoenixSnake

LOL! Loving the sarcasm in the op! Nicely done

Just logged in today for my first venture into Incarna 1.0. Must say I am little disappointed with the overall content. Especially the fact that all captains quarters, as you rightly say are all the same regardless of faction or station! They could have at least gave us one for each faction

Then their is your avatars lack of interaction, can't lie on your bed, can't sit on the floor, can't dance! Hell their isn't even any modeled bathroom facilities in the cq! Man are avatars must stink!

And $60 bucks for a monocle! Now that's just ridiculous! I think they really need to rethink the whole noble exchange system, cause I sure as hell won't be using it! PLEX is expensive enough as it is, and takes some serious in game hours to acquire, especially if you work for a living! I'll stick to my monthly subscription, but i ain't using real money to by virtual clothes. Especially when those virtual clothes cost more than my real ones.

Here's hoping Incarna 1.1 will bring a lot more content! It would have been nice to a least see your avatar enter his pod, and then inserted into your ship when you click Undock!

Oh well! More waiting required!
PhoenixSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
T@T-2-MoNk3y

CCP must be smoking crack...

over 1.2Billion isk for a monocle.

microtransations are a joke.
T@T-2-MoNk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Dazzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T-2-MoNk3y View Post
CCP must be smoking crack...

over 1.2Billion isk for a monocle.

microtransations are a joke.
Eve Online has always been innovative. Now they've introduced macrotransactions.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
karoneko

or groceriesoramonocletransactions
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Ridonk

Properly delivered and loved. I've been giggling since the first sentence
Ridonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
KaOTiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
Eve Online has always been innovative. Now they've introduced macrotransactions.
you got that wrong, they are megatransactions
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
psych0ticm0f0

i don't think you realise how much effect this monocle with have, the raw + charisma boost to dealing with any and all people in game makes it worthwhile
psych0ticm0f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
pureobscure

Didn't you know? Monocles are pure class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAHg0Cn6Zhw

/not mine but I got a kick out of it.
pureobscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Atomic Hamster

Take your QQ's, along with your ancient PC's, over to the official Eve forum and spout your complaints there. Because they are making the game better and up-to-date but you just jump on the bandwagon and complain like all the other sheep. Run along now.
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
d10sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Hamster View Post
Take your QQ's, along with your ancient PC's, over to the official Eve forum and spout your complaints there. Because they are making the game better and up-to-date but you just jump on the bandwagon and complain like all the other sheep. Run along now.
And what do "ancient pcs" have to do with this?
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Atomic Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10sfan View Post
And what do "ancient pcs" have to do with this?
Because that's the reason for all the hate, can't run it with their 10 year old PCs.
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
ernest.

actually nobody mentioned that in this thread until you brought it up dude
ernest. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EVE Online