Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Heroes of Might and Magic V

Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
WaZzUp115

Heroes VI Beta

The beta is pretty awesome, it's no Heroes III but it's still pretty good.

The one thing that bothers me is the Town screen, it's just a small window.
And it's not interactive and when building troops and buildings you just click on tiny icons..

And that seems to be what everyone is complaining about, so If they care at all they'll probably change it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Mouseraider

From what you have seen so far, how much better is it than HMM 5? i'm asking this, because it's been ages since I played HMM 3, and 5 is probably the worst gaming experience I have ever had.. no wait, I think "Dungeons" is actually an even worse game.
Mouseraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
banished_one

I managed to stomach it for 2 minutes before closing and uninstalling. I will not be making my mind from the beta though. I really hope they are going to make BIG changes before it goes gold.

I wish this was '98 then i could play Homm:SoD for the first time, play it multi on msn and see the matrix for the first time as well. Yes, the matrix is that old now so are you.
banished_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
ShadowXOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by banished_one View Post
I managed to stomach it for 2 minutes before closing and uninstalling. I will not be making my mind from the beta though. I really hope they are going to make BIG changes before it goes gold.

I wish this was '98 then i could play Homm:SoD for the first time, play it multi on msn and see the matrix for the first time as well. Yes, the matrix is that old now so are you.
The game comes out in two months. No major changes will be made. And two minutes isn't nearly enough time to get a feel for the game, you're just being closed-minded.

And thanks for making me feel old.
ShadowXOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Rancor26

So how is the beta? I won't be buying it for 50€ before i hear opinions abut the game.
Rancor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
MrUnderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor26 View Post
So how is the beta? I won't be buying it for 50€ before i hear opinions abut the game.
I wouldn't buy any game for €50. D: It's going for like, €26 on Amazon in the UK. :/

It's hard to tell from the beta anyway, it seems good but it's just a mini demo.
MrUnderstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Ilsyde

I have to agree with Mancubus from the Heroes Community forum:
Quote:
Why don't they make spell book actually look like a *book*, is beyond me. Sadly those menus look too functional, too sterile, so imo much of The Feel is lost with browsing between those clinical-feeling menus. Town screen looks of course awful.
(...)
Little cheap-ugly town screens and units portrayed in tiny circles (not more than their heads visible) make me feel like half of the game is missing. It doesn't feel like "visiting your town" or "visiting your troops" at all.
Interface and menus don't make a good or bad game but they will ruin the immersion.

Not sure I'm a fan of Heroes 6 so far, it's definitely better than 5 but looks like they don't even trying to mimic 3. They're also dumbing down the game quite a lot (less resources, magical dwelling that teleport units where they're needed etc.).

Unless this is an old build that's been released to keep the customers' mouth shut, there is no incentive or time for improvements

Last edited by Ilsyde: 06-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Ilsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Bitaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsyde View Post
They're also dumbing down the game quite a lot (less resources, magical dwelling that teleport units where they're needed etc.).
I see the reduction resources as more of a streamlining thing than it being dumbed down, since it doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay other then slowing down the economy a bit. It's a change that I personally welcome, as I hated playing tag with the bots whenever they tagged one of my distant sulfer mines and then ran off. I suppose that now that nodes are region specific though (which is a change I love), it doesn't matter that much.

Overall, I'm enjoying it very much. I especially love the hero talent tree and I'm glad they did away with the semi random skill sytem that HOMM5 had. The lack of town screens IS very off putting though. If they brought those back I would rank this up there with HOMM3, provided they take care of the bulk of the bugs by release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseraider View Post
From what you have seen so far, how much better is it than HMM 5? i'm asking this, because it's been ages since I played HMM 3, and 5 is probably the worst gaming experience I have ever had.. no wait, I think "Dungeons" is actually an even worse game.
I take it you never played HOMM4. Now that was a genuinely poor HOMM game.

Last edited by Bitaku: 06-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Bitaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
Rodatam

My biggest problem so far with the beta is... WHERE ARE THE TOWN SCREENS????

they are a very, very big part of the HOMM experience! in HOMM5 they were beautifull and had really good music, but now it is so... bland... looks like they took it from a browser game or something like that
Rodatam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Hvk

Quote:

You just ruined my day and made my back go out you jerk
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Nalnik

Quote:
You made me remember this XKCD panel.
http://xkcd.com/891/

Did you know that Jurassic Park came out nearly 20 years ago?
Now you really start to feel old.
Nalnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #12
L42yB

I quite enjoyed the beta. I'm looking forward to this game. And if the biggest complaint is the city screens, then I will be happy.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
Sifer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitaku View Post

I take it you never played HOMM4. Now that was a genuinely poor HOMM game.

I guess i'm one of the few people that actually liked HOMM4. Or its ideas anyway. Having heroes be a part of the battle. It also was the first to do the convoy thing. I'm actually disappointed in how the newer one's seem to try to just copy 3. After playing 3 to death that's just boring. Sounds like 6 is also just copying it an streamlining it AKA dumbing down so I dunno about getting it.
Sifer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
Ilsyde

I wish they'd be copying it. Then H6 would become a great game. Instead, they're just trying out new stuff that will never ever work properly.

Also, it looks like a cheap- browser game with that terrible town window and those tiny unit portraits.

Last edited by Ilsyde: 06-30-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Ilsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Bitaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
After playing 3 to death that's just boring. Sounds like 6 is also just copying it an streamlining it AKA dumbing down so I dunno about getting it.
The only thing dumbed down about it is the reduction of the number of resources, which I personally wouldn't even call dumbing down since all it does is speed up the pace of the game. Honestly, it has a lot more in common with HOMM5 then it does HOMM3.

HOMM4 could have been good, but it tried to be too different and too radical. I'm all for changing up the gameplay a bit (I love 3 but would never want another game exactly like it), but I felt that HOMM4 took it too far and too soon. HOMM6 takes the same approach, but to a much smaller and more comfortable degree.

All in my opinion, of course.

Now if only they'd bring town screens back...
Bitaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Heroes of Might and Magic V