Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wonderful End of the World, The

Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Aironfaar

While achieving Wonderful Big Bladder...

...how many of you had to actually go take a leak?
I certainly did. Was completely new to the game and took me something between two and three hours to get this achievement. However, now I have it!

While I felt like smashing my head on the table or biting into it frequently and very often, it helped to chat a bit from my laptop while the game was still open and watching a few A+ runs on YouTube to get an idea of the level between the many attempts. If you don't try to stick to those and just go where you think it's good, preferrably do that - it's fun that way, and most of the time copying an exact run requires more training than doing it yourself and using your brain (i.e. figuring out priorities to certain areas at a certain player size).
It was an ugly grind, but even now that I have it, I can still say it's a nice game. Would've been way better though if I wouldn't have been forced to do it in one sitting.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
hat

I drank two beers during it, and somehow was able to hold it in until I got the achievement!
hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
dejobaan

Dejobaan Games, LLC
> Would've been way better though if I wouldn't have been forced to do it in one sitting.

I agree. I really thought folks who'd already mastered the game would say, "Hey, I can pick this ticket up easily." I should have thought about everyone else. I absolutely did not want to murder anyone's evening. Mea culpa.
dejobaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Whiskerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejobaan View Post
> Would've been way better though if I wouldn't have been forced to do it in one sitting.

I agree. I really thought folks who'd already mastered the game would say, "Hey, I can pick this ticket up easily." I should have thought about everyone else. I absolutely did not want to murder anyone's evening. Mea culpa.
The bottom line is that if the achievement is too hard for people then they don't need to get it. It has happened with other games in this summer camp (Alien Breed for one).

I couldn't be bothered doing such an effort taking achievement, not mad at y'all devs though.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Aironfaar

Quote:

Ah, well. It didn't murder my evening, I enjoyed it. Well, in retrospective at least. It's very rewarding to see that the paths you found by thinking about where to go after a few attempts work for A or better, only that I needed a few small pointers for how to begin some of the levels. Considering how I feel about it now, that experience clearly outweighs the frustration of having to try again and again and again.

Besides, having thought about it again, I don't think the "in one sitting" is what really frustrated me, it was rather that cheerful "Well done!" when scoring B to A- (never got below that, heh). It really mocked me, having in mind that it may be well done under normal circumstances but certainly not for the ticket. That you have to do it in one sitting really isn't that bad; if anyone wanted to take a break, it would still be possible to just leave the computer for a while, keeping the game open...or just minimize the game and stuff. It's not like gamers use machines which can't handle that kind of thing.

While I'm at it, there's a question I meant to ask you. Where do you get those crazy ideas for your games from? What I've seen so far is pretty damn awesome, and I don't think I could've come up with crazy stuff like that, heh heh.
Aironfaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
dejobaan

Dejobaan Games, LLC
> While I'm at it, there's a question I meant to ask you. Where do you get those crazy ideas for your games from?

For Aaaaa!, our creative dude, Dan, showed us a YouTube video of BASE jumping, and we said, "Hey, let's spend a weekend turning our 2004 FPS into that." From there: years of neglect and ramen!
dejobaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
PixyJunket

Quote:

Don't sweat it. These are "achievements," not "entitlements."

Besides it's nice to have a couple mixed in that require a little more out of the player then "press button to win," don't you think? Also, it's hardly the most difficult or time consuming achievement in the summer camp list. It took me over three hours to get to the level in Sanctum that had its achievement and two hours for Trine.
PixyJunket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
GuardianTIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
Don't sweat it. These are "achievements," not "entitlements."
Besides it's nice to have a couple mixed in that require a little more out of the player then "press button to win," don't you think? Also, it's hardly the most difficult or time consuming achievement in the summer camp list. It took me over three hours to get to the level in Sanctum that had its achievement and two hours for Trine.
I don't have Sanctum, but the Trine one I got in less than 10mins - mainly because I'd already played through the game and just needed to find a patch of water to sit in (I already had the item for underwater breathing).

I'll agree with you that achievements are not entitlements.
But achievements should be achievable - and not just to a small minority.

Currently 9.9% of people have gotten the 'Wonderful Big Bladder' achievement, and there's less than 24 hours to go before the summer event ends.
When less than a tenth of the players have got an achievement that was *specifically* added for a limited-duration event, what does that say about the achievement?
GuardianTIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
denouement

Quote:

I liked it and I wish more had some kind of difficulty. Don't let the naysayers get you down.
denouement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Mellar

I just got the achievement but had to pee afterwards, does that count?

Also, is this achievement only obtainable during the Summer sale? I don't see why it would be since they didn't add any more content.
Mellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
PixyJunket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianTIM View Post
When less than a tenth of the players have got an achievement that was *specifically* added for a limited-duration event, what does that say about the achievement?
What does that say about the players?

I bought The Wonderful End of the World today and it took me 86 minutes to get the achievement having never played the game before. Based on several games I bought this week and played from the start to get ticket achievements, this one is pretty middle of the list of being time consuming.
PixyJunket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
kn00tcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket View Post
It took me over three hours to get to the level in Sanctum
haha that made my evening... multiplayer->pick map->go over to the picnic->done in 15 seconds
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wonderful End of the World, The