Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > City of Heroes

Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Robotech_Master

Lightbulb R_M's Guide to Team Leadership [I20.5]

Leading a team takes more than just inviting random people and running around. It takes good leadership and communication skills. And while there's no substitute for experience in developing those, I've written a guide that will at least point folks in the right direction.

Hope folks find the suggestions useful.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Warseth

You should not just post links to outside sources. Many people are at work reading forums. So copy paste would be helpful since the link is on the list to be blocked by major net nanny programs for work places.

Steam is not thank goodness.

I am bumping this for the soon to be new also.

Also from the standpoint of a new player nervous to take on leadership, I have a simple lay out for you guys.

Keep your contacts (npcs giving quests) updated.

How you would work it is this:

You get a quest and it puts it at the level you receive it. Lets say level 10. You play other missions and end up level 13. Now what? Your quest is level 10. You abandon the quest and speak to the contact again to update its level.

As for upping difficulty:
This is something you should leave be till you get a grasp on things. If your team is decimating +0 quests. Go ahead and raise it to +1.

Always talk to your team between missions to:

Let them know whats going on. I always mention "updating my contacts" or "Getting Enhances". This keeps your team informed and keeps you from losing people thinking the leader just went afk and is taking too long.

Be considerate to your team..leader or not of teams. This means at level 5 and dead in a mission, don't waste your teams time begging for wakes if you are just prone to death often. Sure one time or two times ..but any more than that you waste their time and resources. Take the Hospital hit and just go back.
Warseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Lord Mordeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warseth View Post
Also from the standpoint of a new player nervous to take on leadership..
Well, can't really say for new players, but a lot of 'old' ones are absolutely terrified of ending up with the team leader role.

Which sometimes leads to pretty hilarious situations when folks start passing the star around cos no one wants to lead..

Quote:
You get a quest and it puts it at the level you receive it. Lets say level 10. You play other missions and end up level 13. Now what? Your quest is level 10. You abandon the quest and speak to the contact again to update its level.
That is not always true.. as i've abandoned some missions that didn't come up again, regardless of how many times i talked to the contact.

So instead of abandoning missions, one can just crank up the difficulty as desired, ie. level 10 mission, level 13 player so set it at +3 at Field Analyst to get level 13+ enemies.

Quote:
Let them know whats going on. I always mention "updating my contacts" or "Getting Enhances". This keeps your team informed and keeps you from losing people thinking the leader just went afk and is taking too long.
That's pretty decent bit of advice and i do just that, though i have encountered some team leaders that don't utter a single word and basicly leave people guessing as to what the plan is.

All in all, team leading is not that hard.. it takes some getting used to sure, as forming the initial team, juggling contacts, missions, replacing people that take off between missions/etc, it can get pretty aggravating, but it's worth it in the end, in my opinion as you get to run the missions YOU want to, at the difficulty YOU want to run them at vs. just going with the flow and hoping that the group you got invited into does something interesting.
Lord Mordeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Robotech_Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warseth View Post
You should not just post links to outside sources. Many people are at work reading forums. So copy paste would be helpful since the link is on the list to be blocked by major net nanny programs for work places.

Steam is not thank goodness.

I am bumping this for the soon to be new also.
Thanks for the bump. I understand what you say about a copy and paste, and will take it under advisement though it's a bit tricky since the guide is written in wikicode markup which is not really compatible with phpBBS markup.

Also, I suppose I tend to figure that people will likely read such guides from the same place they actually play the game from--which is to say, not at work. And given that the guide is posted on ParagonWiki, which is essentially the informational resource about all things CoH, people should be reading that site anyway beyond just my guides. (And for what it's worth, my own workplace, which is fairly paranoid about blocking social networking sites and such, does not block ParagonWiki so I can read through to the link just fine.)
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > City of Heroes