Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #61
befumo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader508 View Post
Here's my opinion about the game:

To start, I've played dods for over 2 years, so I've played it well before the Palermo update, and the engine update and other effects were well deserved and needed.

However, I have a lot of grievances, undoubtedly already stressed in other posts, yet I'd like to add as well.

For one, hitboxes for assault/support are insane. Before, I could really get into the game in moving to different positions and actually LASTING for awhile. Nowadays I try and get into the game and some guy with a Thompson or Mp40 will simply run up and shoots me before I can even react with a Garand or a K98.

The only way to truly combat against something like that is to do it back, totally taking away from the realism of the game. From that, I disagree with the saying of someone who said the game wasn't realistic; not ever. It actually was. You could use cover to an advantage, and weapons were well balanced enough to where a Garand or K98 was useful. Reducing Garand recoil didn't really help with anything...whatsoever. The environment was (and is) heavily immersive, so the added effects was a plus, but the hitboxes are absolutely terrible. The automatics kill the game. It's gotten to where you simply fire in a direction and eventually (and relatively soon) you WILL get a headshot. Irritating barely describes it. True it's a game, but it's a fun game and this really takes away from it.

Secondly, the "dominating" and "revenge" and "flashback" deals are just plain dumb and cartoony. I used to resort to Dods from Tf2, and now Valve Devs are turning it into a world war 2 version of it. I truly appreciate how they tried to make it better and flashier, but that wasn't what Dods was about. Dods was about the grittiness of the game, not about "revenges" and "dominations". And being a sniper is terrible when you get someone and they know exactly where you are. For one, the majority of people that plays already KNOWS where the sniper is, or exactly where he/she would be, the map only has so many hideyholes.

What I DO really, really like about the update was the option to disable downloading sounds and custom maps. THIS IS GREAT. I absolutely HATED downloading stupid sounds that admins would never use, or maps that I'd never play on, or would forget about, or would eventually just take up space. I'd love to see that option in Css, where you have the choice of not downloading stupid sound/maps that plague Css servers.

Graphics update was good, a little harsh on MY system, for I don't have a huge system that can handle wondrous graphics and the like, but it was still good. Plus you added a new map that was actually good!

If you had stuck to that, and not changed any core game effects, I would have loved it.

Overall, I like that you're paying attention to the game, but what you did killed it, at least for me.
I still play from time to time, but after about 10 minutes I get frustrated and just leave.
I'm basically saying thanks, but no thanks.

That's my piece....
Agreed 100%.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #62
Sailek

I have been playing DOD since a couple of months before the update and Im still very satisfied with the update changes.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the assault-class guns seem to be too accurate. I mean, they are smg's and meant for close quarter combat, but even while running their accuracy is stunning. I barely play assault myself, but when I do I rack up kills, even though Im not skilled with automatic weapons.

Apart from that it's an awesome game!
Sailek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 AM   #63
Ajndrews

Quote:

To start, I've played dods for over 2 years, so I've played it well before the Palermo update, and the engine update and other effects were well deserved and needed.

However, I have a lot of grievances, undoubtedly already stressed in other posts, yet I'd like to add as well.

For one, hitboxes for assault/support are insane. Before, I could really get into the game in moving to different positions and actually LASTING for awhile. Nowadays I try and get into the game and some guy with a Thompson or Mp40 will simply run up and shoots me before I can even react with a Garand or a K98.

The only way to truly combat against something like that is to do it back, totally taking away from the realism of the game. From that, I disagree with the saying of someone who said the game wasn't realistic; not ever. It actually was. You could use cover to an advantage, and weapons were well balanced enough to where a Garand or K98 was useful. Reducing Garand recoil didn't really help with anything...whatsoever. The environment was (and is) heavily immersive, so the added effects was a plus, but the hitboxes are absolutely terrible. The automatics kill the game. It's gotten to where you simply fire in a direction and eventually (and relatively soon) you WILL get a headshot. Irritating barely describes it. True it's a game, but it's a fun game and this really takes away from it.

Secondly, the "dominating" and "revenge" and "flashback" deals are just plain dumb and cartoony. I used to resort to Dods from Tf2, and now Valve Devs are turning it into a world war 2 version of it. I truly appreciate how they tried to make it better and flashier, but that wasn't what Dods was about. Dods was about the grittiness of the game, not about "revenges" and "dominations". And being a sniper is terrible when you get someone and they know exactly where you are. For one, the majority of people that plays already KNOWS where the sniper is, or exactly where he/she would be, the map only has so many hideyholes.

What I DO really, really like about the update was the option to disable downloading sounds and custom maps. THIS IS GREAT. I absolutely HATED downloading stupid sounds that admins would never use, or maps that I'd never play on, or would forget about, or would eventually just take up space. I'd love to see that option in Css, where you have the choice of not downloading stupid sound/maps that plague Css servers.

Graphics update was good, a little harsh on MY system, for I don't have a huge system that can handle wondrous graphics and the like, but it was still good. Plus you added a new map that was actually good!

If you had stuck to that, and not changed any core game effects, I would have loved it.

Overall, I like that you're paying attention to the game, but what you did killed it, at least for me.
I still play from time to time, but after about 10 minutes I get frustrated and just leave.

That's my piece....
Agreed however I'm a regular. Its the Random headshot that's very annoying I can play strand .... stand in the forward Pillbox fire straight out to the sherman near the water in a full game at the start of a round and pop someone in the head .... so you WILL get a random headshot or a kill just spraying and praying.. every time an automatic class lays down the law its over .. and you only get that 1 shot at any time against them.

DoD: Source.. is to clean of a game now.. the grittiness has all but vanished. Now its get to the choke point and spray in it. camp the sniper to beat the respawn. Cap the flags.

And Yes im still praying for a sequal even to this. One that takes it just as far as Red Orchestra. Call of duty doesnt do it for me anymore. But the pace of DOD has gotten more linear than the maps are.

PS ... Whats with the American weapon Sound FX. The Bar and Thompson sound .. God Awful and totally OFF.. There like Pop Guns.. not hand cannons...

Last edited by Ajndrews: 12-11-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Ajndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #64
AVD

Quote:

That's my piece....
And again, 100% agreed with it.
AVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #65
Bromazepam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywoo View Post
As for the updates I really like all the new achievements and the dominating thing. If some lucky buggar manages to score 4 kills on a row on me it really makes me go and hunt them down.
(Replying to a banned person, yay!)

This is a team-objective-based game, not a deathmatch FFA. Grudges between players because they're being "dominated" by someone just end up harming the rest of the team.
They just need to add voices for "Double kill", "Multikill", etc, and the sillyness will be complete.
Bromazepam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #66
paketep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromazepam View Post
(Replying to a banned person, yay!)
More like replying to a 3 year old post, yay!
paketep is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source