Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Seph64
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 1167
Posts: 2,094
A good reasonably priced Tablet PC?

I am interested in a Tablet PC, and wondering what would be my best bang for my buck? As for uses, I guess general use would be ok.
Seph64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
KissmyFeets
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 56
Ipad 2. It might be more expensive than the rest, but you pay for quality. It's so good for only 1 reason: the software is amazing. There are a lot of apps made just for the ipad, which makes them way better than android or windows ones. I think everyone will tell you that.
KissmyFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
dosbox
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Reputation: 2818
Posts: 8,370
Define "general use". Tablets are good for consuming content - e.g. surfing the web, watching movies.

However, like anything with a virtual keyboard and relatively imprecise control scheme, they're not as good at creating it - e.g. creating documents, working on spreadsheets.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
borg_7_of_9
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 2872
Posts: 13,516
I have an ACER ICONICA A500 (Android 3.1) works a treat for general browsing, maps (GPS) video's pictures music all the usual internet crap. But I would go Android over windows 7, sure u get better compatability with win but with 1G ram and a 32G SSD onboard Android is better IMO..

FWIW you can use a USB keyboard when home or a mouse even but there's only 1 USB port so to use both ya need a USB hub..
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Baron_Fel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1931
Posts: 8,822
Eee Slate, best tablet PC out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissmyFeets View Post
Ipad 2. It might be more expensive than the rest, but you pay for quality. It's so good for only 1 reason: the software is amazing. There are a lot of apps made just for the ipad, which makes them way better than android or windows ones. I think everyone will tell you that.
the iPad 2 isnt a tablet PC, its a tablet. Semantics I know but it is what it is. A PC is something that runs Windows 7/OSX/other desktop OSes.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
KissmyFeets
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
Eee Slate, best tablet PC out.



the iPad 2 isnt a tablet PC, its a tablet. Semantics I know but it is what it is. A PC is something that runs Windows 7/OSX/other desktop OSes.
In that case, I think that he should consider a netbook
KissmyFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
travislopes
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 142
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
Eee Slate, best tablet PC out.



the iPad 2 isnt a tablet PC, its a tablet. Semantics I know but it is what it is. A PC is something that runs Windows 7/OSX/other desktop OSes.
The iPad 2 is a tablet PC. PC = Personal Computer. The iPad 2 is a personal computer. The iPad 2 is also a tablet. Therefore, iPad 2 is a tablet PC.
travislopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
imeem
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 814
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislopes View Post
The iPad 2 is a tablet PC. PC = Personal Computer. The iPad 2 is a personal computer. The iPad 2 is also a tablet. Therefore, iPad 2 is a tablet PC.
that's not what the Mac Vs. PC ad said. they classified pc as Windows. But ye a mac is technically consider a pc
imeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Seph64
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 1167
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
that's not what the Mac Vs. PC ad said. they classified pc as Windows. But ye a mac is technically consider a pc
Yeah, those ads are such FUD.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Seph64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Baron_Fel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1931
Posts: 8,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislopes View Post
The iPad 2 is a tablet PC. PC = Personal Computer. The iPad 2 is a personal computer. The iPad 2 is also a tablet. Therefore, iPad 2 is a tablet PC.
sigh. A better distinction would be x86 tablets or Arm tablets.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Mangr0v3
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 4313
Posts: 13,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
sigh. A better distinction would be x86 tablets or Arm tablets.
And then what do you do when Windows 8 goes to ARM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
Define "general use". Tablets are good for consuming content - e.g. surfing the web, watching movies.

However, like anything with a virtual keyboard and relatively imprecise control scheme, they're not as good at creating it - e.g. creating documents, working on spreadsheets.
You've never used an iPad, have you?
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
borg_7_of_9
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 2872
Posts: 13,516
I wouldn't touch any thing with Apple I-xxx app's are expensive you have to jailbreak the dame things to use other app's there software > PC sux...

Sure Android is still new has a few hiccup's but I like it. Sync works well excluding contacts with no outlook express on Win7 that wont sync.

Win7 on Tab just sound's bad for performance IMO so I wouldn't go that path..
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
Baron_Fel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1931
Posts: 8,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
And then what do you do when Windows 8 goes to ARM?
then the distinction will no longer be necessary, assuming Windows 8 tablets can run most x86 apps. Until then it is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Win7 on Tab just sound's bad for performance IMO so I wouldn't go that path..
the Eee Slate has a low voltage arrandale chip, it would run fine.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Mangr0v3
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 4313
Posts: 13,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_Fel View Post
then the distinction will no longer be necessary, assuming Windows 8 tablets can run most x86 apps. Until then it is though.
You know what they say about assuming. They also said Windows 8 on ARM won't be able to run any x86/x86_64 apps.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Baron_Fel
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1931
Posts: 8,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
You know what they say about assuming. They also said Windows 8 on ARM won't be able to run any x86/x86_64 apps.
well, if the important ones are ported...
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.