Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > War Inc. Battlezone

Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
jellinn

VIRUS detected Win32/Heur during update

game played fine when i tried it 2 weeks ago.

tried to play tonight and game updated and while updating, i received the avg warning:

Threat detected!
Virus found Win32/Heur
Detected on open.

i researched this "virus" which i'm not sure that it is one. heur is heuristics/unknown.

i opted to ignore which has the text:
The identified file will remain in its current location on your disk. To ensure you are protected, Resident Shield will not allow you to access files that are infected.

the other options are to Move to Vault or Go to file which pulls up a new window stating:
Multiple threat detection

but it just lists 2 threats, both of them the same file:
WarInc.exe

process rsupdate.exe

win7 64
AVG

Last edited by jellinn: 07-30-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
SpaghettiSmith

Yeah had the same problem, though it I haven't played b4 and it sucks cause I just finished dl'ing it.
SpaghettiSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
CaptainWolf

I'm having the same problem, I thought my computer was the problem. My AVG detected the same virus when I started to launch the game. I hope they'll fix this.
CaptainWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
jellinn

i've not found a way to play yet.

i've exempted the folder path and file name from being quarantined, but AVG is positive this is a known threat and will not allow the file to run.

i've tried to post on their forum, but i cant get logged in, so if anyone can copy/paste this thread (or link to this thread) into war inc's forums, appreciate it.

i also validated game files, and it found 4 files that failed to validate, but steam is failing to download them. it stopped at 3.4MB/9.4MB. Steam's download system for pause/suspend/resume is clunky at best, failing to recognize clicks on buttons, pausing anytime you play a game, but this is the worst i've seen it, and i'm not sure if there's another reason for it failing to download. but it makes the game impossible to play as well.

Last edited by jellinn: 07-30-2011 at 10:53 AM.
jellinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
CaptainWolf

Thanks jellinn, I'm still having the same issue as well, if you know the solution, please tell me
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
CaptainWolf

I'm still wondering btw, is this a virus or not?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
jellinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWolf View Post
I'm still wondering btw, is this a virus or not?
from what i can find,

""Heur" is short for heuristic which means a malware signature wasn't detected but something about the files were suspect enough for AVG to report it to you."

this is one reason i'm wary of free to play games.

if you search, you will find many people saying its a virus and to run all these scans, tests, and buy their software -- dont do it unless you get more information on this actually being a virus/malware.

most likely this is just an issue with avg and nothing to worry about. but if you feel you need better protection, then you can try any method you chose but i'm going to wait for a fix, and/or just delete the game off my system since steam cannot update it for over 24hrs.

if you're able to log into war inc's server to link this thread, let me know, that'd be great. you can also rate this thread to [maybe] generate more attention.
jellinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
alexdchuck

Lightbulb

I added the file to an exceptions then it ran fine. Probably just a mistake by the developers.

For AVG:
Open AVG interface -> tools -> advanced settings
Go to PUP Exceptions
Add exception and browse to WarInc.exe which is probably in:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\warincbattlezone\WarI nc.exe
OK

Then it should work fine. Hopefully they'll sort this soon but in my opinion if you want a free fps then go for Global Agenda.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > War Inc. Battlezone