Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Techowl

Exclamation How To Play Demo (*.dem) Files

A lot of custom maps come with demo files made by the developer and some people have problems figuring out how they should work.

Basically, the .dem file should be put into the "Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2" folder to be found easily by the demo player.

Firstly, put your *.dem files into the proper folder.

Secondly, start up Portal 2.

Finally, one needs to open the developer console, usually the ` key, located at the top left hand side of the keyboard, right under the ESC key on US style keyboards. This key can be changed in the options area in the Portal 2 game. You can also check there for the current key assigned to call up the developer console. While you are in options, make sure the developer console is enabled.

Then use the timedemo command to load and play the file.

For example, once the developer console has loaded up, one would type the following command to play the file called mydemo.dem ;

timedemo mydemo

Notice you do not type the .dem at the end. You will also notice that if you have the .dem files in the proper folder, typing timedemo will show the demo files there, and let you pick which one to play, just like using the map command to load custom maps.

Demo files can be a little choppy during playback, but often will give you that answer that you are seeking.

You can put the .dem file in almost any folder you wish, but if you put them in the portal2 folder, you don't have to remember where they are or type in long pathnames to get them going.

If you put the .dem files into the maps folder along with the custom map, the command to play the file called mydemo.dem would be;

timedemo maps/mydemo

Help this helps someone out...

- TechOwl -

Last edited by Techowl: 07-31-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Francis_4_Dead

Using the console command timedemo "Plays a demo and report performance info."

If you don't want to report performance info, just use the console command "playdemo" instead.
Francis_4_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Techowl

Thumbs up

Now see, I didn't even know that command existed. I picked up on the timedemo one in a thread about another Valve game.

I don't use the console for much more than loading maps, and recently demos. I am certainly not familiar enough with it to offer more than just insight and relaying my experiences with it.

Thanks for the info!

- TechOwl -
Techowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
takz

You can also press CTRL+F2 ( or enter "demoui" in the console ), then click "Load" if you want to select the .dem file via a file browser.

To record a demo, enter record demo_name and to stop recording enter stop in the console.
takz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
TygerSport

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Help:Recording_demos
This helped me out a lot. It may be TF2, but the same principles apply.
TygerSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding