Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Naval Warfare

Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
F-Minus

Graphics Issues preventing play

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55...18C4EA5FB4AA9/

This is how the main menu and rest of the game looks for me, and I really can not play like that.

This is because of my GPU set to performance instead of image quality in the driver options. If I change to quality the text and 2D textures look fine, but I'm really not willing to do that everytime I want to play Naval Warfare.

Windows 7 x64
GPU Radeon 5850
Driver 11.5a

So please patch that soon

Last edited by F-Minus: 05-27-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Sweetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Minus View Post
This is because of my GPU set to performance instead of image quality in the driver options. If I change to quality the text and 2D textures look fine
Wouldn't logic then dictate that it's a driver problem and not a game problem. I don't know that it's particularly reasonable to ask the developers to make a patch for AMD's bad performance mode implementation...

Besides, can't you just create a profile for the game and set it to high quality?

---edit---

I was curious so I looked into this and found that apparently you can't create per-game profiles using the basic AMD drivers - that's pretty lame (makes me glad I stick with nVidia cards).

However good news is that there's a tweaking app that lets you do that called RadeonPro. So you should be able to use that for an ideal solution.

Last edited by Sweetz: 05-27-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
F-Minus

Didn't really occur to me that it's a driver problem, when most games work flawlessly with those settings from the get go, without me having to install anything in addition.

As of this writing I got about 16 games installed which have no problem what so ever with my drivers being set to performance as opposed to quality.

Applications can overwrite such settings (even if it's not set to "application select") for themselves so 2D textures don't end up looking the way they do for me, so yeah a patch would be most welcome.

I don't have to go through the trouble of installing a 3rd party tweaking utility to enjoy a game, sorry. Next to the multi-display draw problem mentioned in another thread, which I also had to fix myself to even start the game, I was disappointed by this, so yeah, It's game breaking and yeah I feel it's their obligation to fix it, not mine.

On the other hand, thank you very much for the time to find the not-so-elegant solution, I might have to come back to it if there wont be a "fix" from the official side.
F-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Sweetz

Quote:
As of this writing I got about 16 games installed which have no problem what so ever with my drivers being set to performance as opposed to quality.
You could have 100 games that play fine, that doesn't mean it's not a driver problem. The fixes published in the release notes of every driver release should be proof enough of that.

The fact that the problem manifests only when you turn your driver quality settings down should be pretty telling...

Quote:
I don't have to go through the trouble of installing a 3rd party tweaking utility to enjoy a game, sorry.
Hmm.

Tweaking utilities are pretty much requisite if you're any kind of serious PC gamer. RadeonPro or ATI Tray Tools for AMD cards nVidia Inspector or Riva Tuner for nVidia cards. D3DOverrider for both of them to force vsync and TB.

These are generally useful tools that no PC gamer should be without. They're really not difficult to use and will benefit you in other ways - like the first time you want to force AA in a game that requires an AA compatibility profile, but doesn't have an official driver profile yet.

Quote:
I feel it's their obligation to fix it, not mine.
Why is it their obligation to AMD's bad mip-map optimization?

FWIW, you probably only need to set the Mip-Map Detail Level setting in the drivers to Quality, not the overall setting.

As the performance impact of this setting is fairly minimal (literally less than 1 fps in most cases), but image quality impact is arguably large (even games that don't exhibit obvious issues with it), I personally just recommend you set that to quality and then you don't need to bother with a 3rd party tool if you're really that opposed to it for whatever reason.

Last edited by Sweetz: 05-27-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
NW_Dev

We will try to reproduce this and check if we can provide a solution for this from our side.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
eth1cks

Banned
Stop ing with your GPU driver settings if you have no idea what you are doing. Change everything in your graphic settings to 'use application settings' and make sure your mipmap is on high quality.
eth1cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Cirutron

I'm playing it on Windows 7 64bits too.
With a Radeon 5450 HD 1Gb DDR3, and it works fine.
Cirutron is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Naval Warfare