Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cogs

Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Balraw

Error when trying to run Cogs

I have just purchased this via the humble bundle offer and can't seem to get it to run. When I start the game up it locks into an error cycle repeating the following until I close it down:

Error drawing screen quad for blur effect
Error drawing screen quad for combine effect
Error drawing screen quad for downfilter4x effect

Thank you in advance for any help
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
PixelWrangler

I'm not sure what's causing this rare bug, but you can at least bypass it by manually disabling the post-processing effects.

The first thing to try is updating your graphics card drivers. That usually solves most bugs like this. If that doesn't work, then find the options file and change the parameter manually. Assuming you're on a PC (the only place this bug has been reported so far), look in one of these locations for the cogs.ini file:

Windows 7: C:\Users\<your home directory>\AppData\Local\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\cogs.ini
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\cogs.ini

Open the file and change EnableFilters to false. Then relaunch Cogs as usual. I hope that helps.

- Rob
PixelWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Balraw

Thank you for the response but sadly there is no cogs.ini file for me to edit. The only file in that folder is a log file that basically details the error as first post. Not really sure what I should do next and any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT just to update I tried verify integrity and a reinstall but still no cogs.ini for some reason.

Last edited by Balraw: 07-27-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: update
Balraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
PixelWrangler

Ah... that's because that file doesn't get created until you visit the Cogs options screen. So instead, create your own cogs.ini file in the same folder as the log.txt file. The contents of the file should look like this:

VolumeMusic 0.750000
VolumeEffects 0.750000
EnableShadows false
EnableFilters false
Fullscreen false
IntervalImmediate true
Resolution 0
WindowPosX 0
WindowPosY 0
Antialiasing 0
Language english

I hope that works for you.

Rob
Founder, Lazy 8 Studios
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Balraw

Thank you for trying to help me with this problem I really appreciate it but sadly I am still have the same issue so it looks like I will miss out on this one.

On the bright side I did donate to some worthy causes (including the devs ) so no hard feelings from my end
Balraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
PixelWrangler

Just remember: You own your Steam games forever. So next time you upgrade your hardware (or login from a friend's computer), just boot up Steam and you're ready to rock.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
in.meinem.turm.

You included the GO-Version of cogs in the bundle now. Thanks for that, finally the game isd playable. Any chance to get this one to run on steam (including achievements?).
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
Snowstone

I also have an error. I tried the Go version and it worked, I was able to start the game, but when I actually go to play it, the HUD with the time, score, etc, is there but the place where the puzzle should be is all black.
Snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
PixelWrangler

Snowstone, are you seeing this bug when playing Cogs GO? The first thing to do is to try updating your graphics drivers.

If that doesn't work and you help trying to diagnose the problem, it would be great if you can send me the log file that gets created when Cogs is launched. Open a puzzle where you see this bug and then close Cogs. If you're on Windows 7, I believe you'll find the log file here:

<your home directory>\AppData\Local\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\log.txt

Send that to support@lazy8studios.com. If I see a bug that I think I can fix in the software, I'll make the changes and update the build.

Rob
Founder, Lazy 8 Studios
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Snowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelWrangler View Post
Snowstone, are you seeing this bug when playing Cogs GO? The first thing to do is to try updating your graphics drivers.

If that doesn't work and you help trying to diagnose the problem, it would be great if you can send me the log file that gets created when Cogs is launched. Open a puzzle where you see this bug and then close Cogs. If you're on Windows 7, I believe you'll find the log file here:

<your home directory>\AppData\Local\Lazy 8 Studios\Cogs\log.txt

Send that to support@lazy8studios.com. If I see a bug that I think I can fix in the software, I'll make the changes and update the build.

Rob
Founder, Lazy 8 Studios
As far as I can tell my graphics drivers are up to date, considering it's a SiS on-board graphics card. I can run very few games in my laptop, but was hoping since the Go version is lighter on the graphics it could run. I'm using Windows XP, by the way.
Snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cogs