Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other

Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Tricky X

This is a client side mod that simply stops the cosmetics and their particle effects showing ingame.
This works in all servers including sv_pure. (ingame pic)
Quote:
Last updated: 2nd November. Notes:
Let me know if I miss anything!
Download:
Needs to be placed in: Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom\
If you have problems downloading. Right click>Save
To remove all
To remove particle effects (Already in above link)
The same links are updated all the time. To block new hats you will need to download this again.

Bonus download:
http://tf2.gamebanana.com/skins/129761. This will replace default hats on servers that allow model changes.

Uninstall:
Remove the 'Nohat' files here
Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom

Guide on how to choose what you see

FAQ:
  1. Does this entirely stop TF2 from rendering hats, thereby increasing performance?

In theory, yes. (I would love for it to replace it with the default hats)

It might show it better in action packed areas on computers with the GPU bottle-necking the CPU.
    It does have its problems that would limit any possible performance increase.
    The game still goes through the process of loading the hats into memory.
    This is a botch of a solution that would perform a lot better if there was a ingame client option...
  2. Does this stop valve making money?

No.

This mod only affects you. The guy next to you will never know you cannot see his neon green thing. If you're not interested in cosmetics and use this, you wouldn't be spending from the ingame store anyway. No one loses.
    If you fancy a read, check this thread out. The OP puts it well.

Credits/Special Thanks:
SnowshoeIceboot for player models that retains the default models on sv_pure 0.
Lembit for inspiring me to have another look at the files as well as the material edit.
HoraceSmith for the original particle edit and knowledge to disable the hat effects.
The one who did the clown pic.
and awesome Dropbox.

Last edited by Tricky X: 11-03-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
rocknroll1968

Thank you for your work, Trick X! New thread bookmarked.
rocknroll1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Indescript

Mad props to you guys for making this. I've been using it since May with no complaints.

Just one question: is it even possible to replace hat models with the default class headgear, so that players aren't bald? I know that probably wouldn't work with all-class hats, but what about single-class hats? Is there something preventing this, or is it just too much work...
Indescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Tricky X

I would love to, but the reason stopping me with this hat blocking method is it simply wouldn't work on sv_pure.

It would work if you only ever joined sv_pure 0 servers, as there would be no way (other than messing around with folders all the time) to swap them models for the files that work on sv_pure.

As to the work involved - it'll require decompiling the class models (legal?) and recreating the default hats. Is it worth me looking into?

edit: OK if this gets broken and we get pushed back to non-sv_pure servers ill do it.

Last edited by Tricky X: 08-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Tricky X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
iridescentFUZZ

Good to see you created a separate thread for this. Looks well organised too.

Also, what the hell? Damn rep system still won't let me rep you again!

Oh, and did a mod move this here? I'll put a link to this thread in my thread.

Last edited by iridescentFUZZ: 08-09-2011 at 09:45 AM.
iridescentFUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Tricky X

No i created it here.

Hopefully it will keep away the arguments and non-constructive posts that spammed previous threads. Its easy for me to continue to PM people the info when they mention in the main forum about wanting a hatless TF2.

ANNND to use [IMG]

Edit: The other benefit for me having it here is I can use email notifications on replies and it not end up with my inbox being full because of a silly argument that I've heard before.

Last edited by Tricky X: 12-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Huff

It seems that people have been asking for this forever, so thanks for making it!

I love hats myself, so I won't be using it, but it's nice to know that it's avalible for those who want it.
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
hap

Thanks again [=
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tricky X again.." god damnit.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
iridescentFUZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky X View Post
Hopefully it will keep away the arguments and non-constructive posts that spammed previous threads. Its easy for me to continue to PM people the info when they mention in the main forum about wanting a hatless TF2.
Well, ok then.
iridescentFUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
koren

this is absolutely perfect. thank you!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Plazmataz

To prove the concept, a friend and I decided to test out something with the aim of replacing class hats with the relevant default hat.

First, to avoid decompiling and rooting through the game files, we found someone who had already done it for us. The files for this silly thing happen to include two model files; one for the Engy's default hardhat, and one for the light bulb things that sit on top of it.

I threw out the material files for the light bulb parts of the hat, and then made copies of the old transparent material files I once used to make hats invisible, renaming these files to the names of the original light bulb materials I threw out. Placing these in the proper directory, it means that whenever the game tries to draw this skin, it instead draws the Engineer's default hardhat on its own, without the light bulbs.

After that I copied and renamed until I had this skin replacing every applicable Engineer class hat (barring all-class hats and exceptions like the Industrial Festiviser).

The experiment was successful.

The upside to this method is that it works, and that it will fly on sv_pure 1 servers. The downside is that it doesn't help your performance at all, meaning that this is purely an aesthetic solution.

Perhaps someone like Tricky X, being significantly more savvy than I, could do something more substantial with this.
Plazmataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Tricky X

Sure it works. I did exactly the same with the reskined weapons a while back. (here if you want to download) It just wouldn't work with sv_pure.
Like i said a few posts up ill do it if the current method of hat blocking gets broken and we can only use non pure servers happily.

ps. I'm really not savvy.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Plazmataz

I think that it's probably still worth the effort, since most servers don't use sv_pure 1 to block simple skin mods.
Plazmataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
TGitP

I'd use it.
I mean, I'm using your NoHats mod right now, but bald engis and soldiers are bald. :P
TGitP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Tricky X

I do realize that.

Any fix for it would take a lot of work and It wouldn't work in half of the servers. (sv_pure)

Anyone want to recreate the following models?
Scout headset
Scout lower leg/feet (Essential Accessories, Flip-Flops)
Solder hat, and hat+grenades
Pyro head (Foster's Facade and other masks)
Engineer hat
Sniper hat

Last edited by Tricky X: 10-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other