Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The

Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Gvaz

Deal please??

I've been wanting this game for ages, but no deals have ever been on for it in years I think.

Please do another one!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Aionism

$9.99 is a good deal.
Aionism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
in.meinem.turm.

I agree. Deal please.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Gvaz

Not when there's no demo
Gvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
in.meinem.turm.

There is a demo for the first one (and it's even on steam).

And I just bought it (the first, not really interested in the second one). I was waiting for a deal on this one for years but there just is none.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
spyrochaete

These games are sooooo good and have so much content, dialogue, and story. Buy these games ASAP at the already very low prices on Steam. I've been playing adventure games since the mid 80s and The Longest Journey is my favourite one ever.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
in.meinem.turm.

The game is quite long. (TLJ)
Definitly woth the 10$ isf you are an adventurefan but I think the game was a little too easy apart from the few puzzles that are just too hard or even bugged (like the puzzle under water)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
ViCyniC

Want it for $5 or less.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Stravagante

I want a deal too.
I'm Dutch, so extremely cheap. I'm used to finding 10+ year old games on yardsales for like $2. That's how I found Sands of Time, Max Payne, Hitman, Dreams to Reality, Prince of Persia 3D and a lot more of those.
I'm not paying more then $5 either.
I'm still a big fan of adventure gaming and this has been getting a lot of credit. And since this genre is pretty much dead now I've been wanting to play a great one for a while now.
Stravagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
spyrochaete

Your loss, people. I'm replaying this game for the 4th or 5th time. Nowhere on earth are you going to find so much entertainment and value for $10.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Stravagante

Well I've played Dreamfall, which I picked up rather cheaply during a trip to Poland. And I had problems with it, but it was good enough in its own right. Certainly good enough for me to be willing to broaden my view on this series.

I understand from the demo that it is more an interactive, yet involving story with modarately easy puzzles and hilariously bad decissions to be made.
It feels like a game that would really "drag" on occasion and rely heavily on personal taste whether you will like it or not. I wouldn't want to take a gamble of $10 on that.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
spyrochaete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravagante View Post
I understand from the demo that it is more an interactive, yet involving story with modarately easy puzzles and hilariously bad decissions to be made.
It feels like a game that would really "drag" on occasion and rely heavily on personal taste whether you will like it or not. I wouldn't want to take a gamble of $10 on that.
Well it's a very talky game. It's very long compared to other adventure games, and you go to a wide variety of locations with greatly varying art.

Let's be honest - you can buy 5 games for $10 in this day and age. I own a zillion Steam games and I probably bought less than 10% of them at full price. The Longest Journey is one of those few titles I bought for full price and I don't regret it for a moment.

Spend your money as you wish, but if you like an engrossing story with vivid characters and a satisfying ending then you can't do better than this game.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Stravagante

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
Well it's a very talky game. It's very long compared to other adventure games...
Does all this "talkyness" consist of much the same kind of dialogue? Because I didn't think some of the dialogue choices really fit the characters' previous actions.
Like in the demo for instance, she said
Quote:
Reefs? I didn't know about any reefs.
Even though she was told about those at least twice before she steered them in that direction.
Quote:
I didn't think it would do any harm.
She knew about the storm AND the reefs and the dangers that came along with them and yet the game forces us to take that action. It's completely illogical.

Though I must say I cracked smiles at some of the captains' lines and seriously laughed my off when she breached the hull with a tiny little axe like that and shruged it off with that priceless (still not $10 though) reaction
Quote:
...Whoops...
That all really took me out of the rather serious narrative of the game. Which could be good, if toned down a little.

I really need to see more character development for this girl, because I have no idea what drives her to do these stupid things right now.
She's all like "I'm the chosen one and I will restore the balance. And I'm gonna do it without thinking twice first."
Anacin Skywalker didn't act this stupid, because he didn't give a crap. Neo didn't act this stupid because he knew what depended on him. And that makes them both far more interesting characters, even though both of their movies were kind of crap.
I just really don't know what the deal is with this girl and I just can't relate to her. All I can do right now is laugh at her stupidity and only imagine just how screwed their world must be.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
spyrochaete

The demo is kinda weird because it's a tiny excerpt from the very middle of the story. A lot has been accomplished to get up to that point and the protagonist is very well established by then. The demo is particularly out of context because the protagonist is almost always helping others, but in the demo she's nothing but a handful.

That being said, it's the demo that convinced me to buy the game.

To your question about whether the dialogue is consistent with the demo, I'd say no. As you meet new characters your inquisitive protagonist asks a lot of questions about their situation, history, and opinions. The writer (Ragnar Tornqvist) put a LOT of thought into every character's origin story and is not shy about exposing it all through conversation. The protagonist April, for example, is a strong woman but is an ordinary person with believable flaws and a complex family life, and this affects the way she stumbles through her adventure.

It's a long game with tons and tons of depth so I'm struggling not to blather on. Long story short, the timeframe of the demo comes after many interactions with the sea captain and a big confrontation that affects the land where you meet him. The dialogue in the demo isn't indicative of the whole, but the game is full of fantastic graphics, cut scenes, music, and puzzles throughout the whole story.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Longest Journey, The