Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Quest Collection

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
MusiclyInspired

Best Game Series Ever

Just sayin'.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Kalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Just sayin'.
I'm more of a Quest For Glory Fan myself
Kalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
MusiclyInspired

Right. Though, it was the funniest in the series, despite how far removed from the concept of Space Quest it is.
MusiclyInspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Kalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Right. Though, it was the funniest in the series, despite how far removed from the concept of Space Quest it is.

I like 4 and 6 and five just feels like it would benefit from a voice pack. So You Want To be a hero VGA will always be my favorite though, for how intricate a game it is it is remarkebly simple. No hidden Paladin points or multiple endings,

-QFGF
Kalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
Mau1wurf1977

I am playing the series since a few weeks. Just finished 4 and started with 5.

I got to say I like the first 3 the most. Something about typing commands that really does it for me. If I had to pick 1 game it would have to be SQ3. The graphics, sound and animation where a huge leap over the AGI graphics.

SQ4 and 5 look nice but IMO the interface makes it to easy. Looking back SQ4 is such a short game. When you crack a puzzle in SQ1-3 it just felt like a big achievement, for some reason I don't feel the same with the newer titles.

I am also shocked how little I can remember of these games. I mean I finished all of them as a kid, yet most puzzles I had no idea how to solve them. I remembered the most about SQ1 because it was my first computer game and it was so hard and I spent so much time with it. When I got of the space ship it felt sooo epic :-D

SQ1 VGA does have a few slighly different puzzles so I do recommend checking it out. However I also prefer the original AGI version.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977: 08-05-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
MusiclyInspired

My favourite will always be Space Quest IV. It's a masterpiece. And I'm a sucker for time travel stories. But besides that the music is fan-frickin-tastic. Ken Allen is a musical genius. Second place goes to the tie of both SQ2 and SQ1, though. I always thought that SQ3 was the stupidly short one of the bunch. I don't have the same nostalgic cling to it that a lot of people do. The music is fun, but certainly not the best. But certainly not the worst either. It's a great game. It seems on the same par as SQ5, for me, which is also a great game. That's the thing with me about these games, they're all good so even my least favourites are still very enjoyable.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Mau1wurf1977

In SQ1VGA version the time pod makes an appearance! I didn't know what it meant until I played SQ4 :-D

What I really like in SQ1 is that you start off with a lot of suspense. Ship under attack, timer ticking, got to get out fast!

Also if you like timetravel adventures, be sure to check out "Timequest" from Legend Entertainment. And also Gateway and Gateway 2.

I hope that we see these games on Steam or GOG one day. They are sooo hard to track down.

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977: 08-05-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
MusiclyInspired

Nice, I'll keep those in mind!

There's also The Journeyman Project as well. A futuristic sci-fi time-traveling Myst clone series.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Mau1wurf1977

Yea I saw that and read a lot of positive feedback. Will definitly get it...

Enjoying SQ5 a lot. It is very polished and slick. The lack of voice is a bit of a shame, I really enjoyed that in SQ4.

Apparantly the CD version of SQ4 has weaker graphics, but there is a patch which gives you the better graphics + voice + text. Worked very well. I wonder why they changed the graphics for the CD version. Doesn't make sense to be honest.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
jeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau1wurf1977 View Post
Yea I saw that and read a lot of positive feedback. Will definitly get it...

Enjoying SQ5 a lot. It is very polished and slick. The lack of voice is a bit of a shame, I really enjoyed that in SQ4.

Apparantly the CD version of SQ4 has weaker graphics, but there is a patch which gives you the better graphics + voice + text. Worked very well. I wonder why they changed the graphics for the CD version. Doesn't make sense to be honest.
It's not that they filled up a CD, but you have to remember that the computer power was a lot less back then, which is why CD-versions of games often were limited in that way. Other example that springs to mind for me was Loom that lacked the music in the talkie version.
jeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
spyrochaete

3 and 4 are my favourites in the series. I've loved the Space Quest games since I was a kid.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Space Quest Collection