Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tidalis

Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
account2

Exclamation Large combo, then timeout, combo not registered...

Not sure if a bug or intended, but I had a combo going in a timed level, and it didn't finish before the time, so the level ended by timeout and my (at the time) 10x combo didn't register.

Just a heads up.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
B0FH

This is probably tackled by using the latest beta - explanation of the issue also in that thread.
B0FH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Fiskbit

Arcen Games, LLC
This actually is addressed in the latest beta as a side effect of how the bugfix in the beta works.

The issue being fixed is that there is typically a bit of waiting at the end of a combo to make sure everything is done, but if the stage ends right after a combo, there isn't enough time, so it doesn't count the combo. The fix makes sure that the combo is counted at the end. A side effect is that combos in progress are counted, too.
Fiskbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
FireSiku

Is there something fundamentally wrong to count a in-progress combo as a "Alright. Times out. Combo stopped right here" kinda thing?
FireSiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
x4000

Arcen Games, LLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSiku View Post
Is there something fundamentally wrong to count a in-progress combo as a "Alright. Times out. Combo stopped right here" kinda thing?
Well, yes -- if we did that, then having large amounts of blocks that clear and then fall and then clear and then fall and so on would make it such that really super-long combos would be impossible. Which would be a major drag for hardcore puzzle folks like Fiskbit, but for mortals like myself I'd never know the difference. The latest beta keeps the benefit of being able to have infinite combos while at the same time preventing you from losing combos at the end of a board's completion.
x4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
FireSiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4000 View Post
The latest beta keeps the benefit of being able to have infinite combos while at the same time preventing you from losing combos at the end of a board's completion.

That was actually my question. Is there something wrong with having such infinite combos? (Since they are currently in-progress at the time of board's completion)

Then again, re-reading the original message, i may have misinterpreted it.

Compare:

"As a side-effect, THIS can also happens, enjoy!"
And
"As a side-effect, THIS can also happens... yeah we're fixing that in a later beta"

"As a side-effect" can be hard to interpret at times
FireSiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
Fiskbit

Arcen Games, LLC
My intent was more "As a side-effect, THIS also happens, enjoy!"

The clear bug was a finished combo not being counted, but how to treat a combo that's still in progress is not completely straightforward, in my opinion. Tidalis is very much a game about control; many stages, if you're not careful, can become extremely chaotic such that you'll lose unless you take control (level 92 is a great example). In a stage where, say, you want to get a deep combo without also causing some bad effects, such as destroying glass blocks, when should the combo be counted? As soon as it's deep enough to meet the requirement, or as soon as it's finished? The old behavior was the latter, where you had to have enough control to make the combo stop so it could be counted. If the behavior is the former, then it could be that the combo is counted even when it's running wild and will soon destroy the glass blocks you need to protect.

Also, some levels (such as level 92, again) require that combos not be counted until they complete. I think there are many compelling reasons for it to act that way in the general case.

At the time that the issue was being reported, some people had been confused because they ended the game before a combo in a one-color zen stage had been completed, making it never be counted. The fix for the actual bug also addressed this complaint, so at the moment, we have a bit of a hybrid approach where combos aren't counted until they end unless cut short for some reason, such as time running out. I don't have a solid preference on the behavior here one way or another, and the current behavior seemed to address people's confusion, so until I see some strong reason for it to change one way or the other...enjoy!
Fiskbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tidalis