Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
TioChuck

Game content conversion

Can someone explain me this?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Cedge

Explain what? You're going to have to be a little more descriptive, please.

Something regarding the new Steam content delivery format, perhaps?
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
TioChuck

When i started ac:b this ask me if I want to convert the game files to a new more eficient format.
TioChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
GirlPower23

Probably has to do with Steams new content delivery system. Quite sure L4D2 and TF2 have been converted to it. So good chance other games are starting the migration. In any case it's probably good to convert it. I could be wrong however. :P

Last edited by GirlPower23: 08-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.
GirlPower23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Inf1del

Valve is changing the download code for steam, therefore games and media musst be converted. After the conversion is complete you will be abel to download the game.

Since they are changing the games one after another, this might occur to other games in the next time.
Inf1del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Cedge

Yup, as I suspected, that's related to Steam's new content delivery system, and it's what all Steam content will be delivered with in the near future. It's far more efficient, so yes, you want to use it.
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Sir_Brizz

Cool, just tried it as well. I'm glad about that Maybe some AC:B patch is coming out soon or something.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Rekkert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
Cool, just tried it as well. I'm glad about that Maybe some AC:B patch is coming out soon or something.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing, but at this time it's highly unlikely.
Rekkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
IntelliMoo

This happened to Mass Effect 2 for me when I went to play it tonight. After the conversion I notice the following changes:

- The game's .ncf files are gone from the steamapps subfolder.

- The 'defragment cache files' button is gone from the game's Properties -> Local Files tab.

That seems about it.
IntelliMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Finraziel

steam needs to convert the game content

Now I know that the chance of whoever is responsible for this mechanic reading this is very slim, but I still wanted to leave this.
I just tried to play some dragon age origins ultimate in the little time I had this morning before work and steam suddenly comes back with a message that it needs to convert the game content... No explanation, no why, nothing. So, I hit google, find that it seems to be ok, so I start the game again, get the same message and say ok go ahead. It tries for a while, but it seems my internet connection died on me (it's been flaky for a while, I've been meaning to switch to cable from this crappy dsl line but I havent yet, it happens). So what happens? Steam says it failed because it can't contact the server. Ok, then try again... what? Why am I suddenly on bioshock 2 instead of on DAO? WTF, where is my DAO?! It's gone, that's where it is, back to my list of installable games, no longer in the installed list.
So well, after searching if anyone complained about this yet and if I need to do something to preserve my saved games (and not finding anything), I decided I should just take the chance and hit install. Thankfully it does check if there is local content, but checking those files takes half an hour.
Now, it did work, DAO is back, my savegames are still there, so crisis averted... But, these things do make me wonder if it's smart to hand over my gaming soul to a platform that forces me to do these things that can break my games at a drop of a hat. Why on earth isn't there an option to postpone doing these kinds of things? We don't all always have a reliable internet connection, if I'd gotten a question if I'd wanted to do this now, I would have refused and then told it to update later (like when I'm off to work or something).
Guess this is just one of those once or twice a year things where steam does something that makes me hate it... guess I'll have to remember the amazing deal on NFS I got yesterday and I'll love you guys again soon enough, but really these kinds of annoyances are unneeded and it feels disrespectful to your customers.
Finraziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Epsilon

I suppose that you're in for more annoyance because they're going to be doing the same thing to every single one of your installed games as time goes on.

This is actually more of a once in ten years thing; the download code in Steam is really, really old, so they're completely replacing it. This is a one-time thing to move over from the old system to the new system, and the new system is going to bring an awful lot of benefits along with it.

I don't know how technologically or practically feasible it is to have a "do this later" button, but I suspect that a practical reason is that sooner or later you're gonna have to have the new system because they're going to remove the old system, so they can't have people keeping the old system indefinitely.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
cdoublejj

are they converting the content to GCF or some unmoddable proprietary compressed file or what? why would it need to convert game files.
cdoublejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
MADDOGGE

Not sure what file system Steam is switching to. What Steam supposedly are doing with the file change is to make it like normal patches where you only download what needs changing instead of having to download the whole freaking game when there is an update like happens on many games on Steam currently.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finraziel View Post
Snippit
There have been plenty of forum posts, news related posts, and articles on Steams transition to their new content delivery system. People who want to stay uninformed on these changes are welcome to, however, saying there is no "Explanation" would be ridiculous.
GirlPower23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finraziel View Post
<Massive brick wall>
Yeh..., so anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
...What Steam supposedly are doing with the file change is to make it like normal patches where you only download what needs changing...
As I understand it, the old (current?) system works where if any game file(s) has been updated, it must download a whole new copy of that file to replace it on your local installation.

The new system will work by by only downloading the difference between the updated file and the old file, and then modifying your local copy of the old file into the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post
are they converting the content to GCF or some unmoddable proprietary compressed file or what? why would it need to convert game files.
As a result, I would guess, this will require a new formatting of the files themselves which allows data to be "spliced", for want of a better word, into them.
B33 ENN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips