Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
keyboardkowboy

One Reason why I hate games being on steam

Now heres a curious thing.

Went to play Civ 5 last night after not playing it for a couple of months and got a message that "cvgamecoredllfinalrelease.dll" was missing and would need to reinstall the game.

WHY???

Last time i played Civ 5 everything ran normally in DX11 mode etc nothing out of the ordinary but over the past month or so i noticed that steam had updated itself and or updated Civ 5 as well.

Now i have never been a fan of steam but having a game that worked perfectly well last time i played it, to not being able to play it now does wind me up in the slightest.

In the days of installing things from cd's or dvds games would sit happily on my hard drive game after game for ages.

Seems like now if i leaveit alone it will somehow break itself and i have to spend time redownloading through steam and fixing it, which i am not impressed with.

So someone please enlighten my to why this happened and to steam hands of my software.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
TomKQT

You're making it sound like if this was common on Steam and never could happen with a non-steam game. While both is wrong.

Anyway, if you don't like Steam, it's your opinion. Others love it. There's no reason to discuss it on the CivV forum.

Btw, I came back to CivV few weeks ago after like 8 months and was able to play it immediately, because the game was already automatically up to date thanks to Steam.
TomKQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
ClintDrums

Verify integrity of game cache and all will be well. It's even faster than having to re-install a non-Steam game.
ClintDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
AK_49

Red face

I have a better one. I live in a community with limited internet access (256K) and seldom go online. The last time I had my (bought for CIV5) Alienware laptop connected to Steam was when I vacationed to Anchorage(AK). I updated every steam game I had, bought some new ones, whatever. Now I go online to grab a small game on payday. big mistake! Now steam wants to update my game to the tune of some 4600MB. Serves me right I guess, for wanting something new. Sadly enough, this only happens when I am actually playing a certain game. Same thing happened to me with New Vegas, only had to update 500 to 600 MB that time. I know that steam has an option to keep games up to date, or not to, but the Steam client should still VERIFY that the user wants to update. Is it too much to ask?

I really like steam, as it has really a great value, in many regards. No disks to lose, great deals, always available, ect., but Valve needs to remember that the 56K modem was the only for many many customers when they bought Half-Life on day 1. I am as hooked now as I was then, but I sometimes feel like I am a second rate customers because I live in an isolated community.
AK_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
ClintDrums

I don't think that your situation has Valve to blame. When you have an internet connection, Steam will make sure that your client is up to date. Recently, the Steam Trading update was release. While some user do play games while offline, the vast majority of users have a constant internet connection, of usable bandwidth.

I will admit though, Steam does need to improve how the client handles changes in network connectivity. I recently moved and had already put Steam into offline mode, knowing that it might be a few days until I can get internet hooked up. Steam worked fine without internet, since I had set that option while online. When setting up my internet, I was able to log back in, but the ISP was having some issues and I lost internet again. Since I hadn't already put Steam into offline mode, I kept getting an error and was locked out of my games.

This is frustrating, and especially in your case, with a slow speed. But, the vast majority of Steam users have a better connection.
ClintDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Stexred

you can disble updates per game
Stexred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Duxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_49 View Post
I have a better one. I live in a community with limited internet access (256K) and seldom go online. The last time I had my (bought for CIV5) Alienware laptop connected to Steam was when I vacationed to Anchorage(AK). I updated every steam game I had, bought some new ones, whatever. Now I go online to grab a small game on payday. big mistake! Now steam wants to update my game to the tune of some 4600MB. Serves me right I guess, for wanting something new. Sadly enough, this only happens when I am actually playing a certain game. Same thing happened to me with New Vegas, only had to update 500 to 600 MB that time. I know that steam has an option to keep games up to date, or not to, but the Steam client should still VERIFY that the user wants to update. Is it too much to ask?

I really like steam, as it has really a great value, in many regards. No disks to lose, great deals, always available, ect., but Valve needs to remember that the 56K modem was the only for many many customers when they bought Half-Life on day 1. I am as hooked now as I was then, but I sometimes feel like I am a second rate customers because I live in an isolated community.
Dude, right click on the game and go to Options... disable the updates... simple
Duxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
AK_49

Sorry folks, I was really upset yesterday, as I had been looking forward to playing some game this weekend, I apologize for whining like a little baby. It seems that Steam downloaded most of CIV5 without me even knowing about it. When I restarted my computer this evening, it was 75% done, but my other 600MB download has to be restarted.

Valve is in no danger of losing my loyalty, but I think that they could easily tend to the needs of all their customers, not just high bandwidth users. I may be to blame for leaving the option to update checked, but I still don't understand why Steam downloaded CIV5 instead of the game I bought yesterday.

At bare minimum, I would like to be able to tell the client to disable updating while offline. Last time I tried this, Steam would not allow it. I did disable them all at on point, but it can be hard to change that particular option before Steam begins updating.

I still love Steam, and would rather buy from them than anywhere else, mostly because they are number ONE.
AK_49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series