Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Inside a Star-Filled Sky

Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
eninrutas

The Downward Spiral

Would it be possible to patch in a Reset and/or Randomise button (say, the "r" key) for those of us who've gotten into an endless cycle of dying? At some point exploring the negative levels I found myself facing waves of impossible enemies that kicked me to something like -16 before I decided to go to the Settings folder and wipe it clean.

Speaking of which, if I merely wipe the bookmark.hash and bookmark files it gives me the same level 8 each time. Any reason for this?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
woko

That's what I thought. What you need is just:
  • long range
  • many hearts
woko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
eninrutas

Right, tried it again. Got to +19 but a losing streak kicked me down to -5, and I guess I have to ask: why the escalating difficulty if you're kicked down a level as a result of death? Shouldn't it be easier if you're dying as a result of incompetence? This is getting kinda frustrating.
eninrutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Lord Blade

I agree. There's something wrong with the difficulty curve here.

I get killed, and am now facing harder enemies.
I get killed again, and there's more enemies, with massive screen filling shots.
I get killed again, now there's lots of enemies with screen filling shots that actively chase after me.
Etc...

I'm stuck and can't get anywhere.

It's nice to say "you just need this". But I can't get that. I can't get anything. I usually can't even reach a single powerup without getting killed.

So basically there's no point in playing anymore.
Lord Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
jasonrohrer

Jason Rohrer
What you guys are describing only happens in "negative world", where difficulty is inverted from how it works in the normal levels.

In normal levels, difficulty increases as you go up and rise out of yourself, and difficulty decreases when you die or otherwise enter yourself.

In negative levels, difficulty increases as you go more negative (where else could it go? It can't get any easier than level 0!). So, this means that when you get killed and knocked "down" a level, more negative, it actually gets harder. It's totally possible to get trapped down there, or go super-deep and see insane difficulty modifiers, etc.

However, if you ever get trapped down there, your bookmark DOES NOT remember negative levels. When you restart your game, you'll be back on level 1. So, if you're trapped down in negative world, just quit the game and start it again to un-trap yourself.
jasonrohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
AlienHuntinYeti

There's negative worlds too? Any way to get to them besides dying?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
jasonrohrer

Jason Rohrer
The ONLY way to get to them is to enter yourself.

Because Level 0 always has no enemies in it. So it's impossible to die in Level 0.

So, work your way down to level 0, and then enter yourself. Negative world.

But, given the above posts, you've been warned!
jasonrohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
BattleLaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrohrer View Post
The ONLY way to get to them is to enter yourself.
Or a power-up.
BattleLaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Inside a Star-Filled Sky