Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rise of Immortals

Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Rabid_Bunny

Why is DotA being remade again and again?

As I see it there are now 5 versions of the same game: the original DotA, HoN, LoL, the forthcoming DotA 2 and now this one. Is there any real thing that makes this different from the other 4? I watched the trailer and saw that they had the same map with the same bushes, creeps, turrets and objectives all with the same style of heroes doing the same type of attacks, with the same hope of monetization through skin and xp boost sales. What is this company hoping to achieve here? If I've invested my time getting to lvl 30 in LoL and mastering a few heroes, why should I switch to this version of the same game and go through the process all over again?

Valve is paying pro players tons of money to switch to their version of the game, what is this version doing to attract people? I'm not saying that the DotA/MOBA games aren't fun, I just hope that people will innovate on the design instead of just remaking the same game over and over again. If this game is new and interesting I'll try it out if not then what's the point?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
overread

Its no different to any other genre of gaming - look how many RTS games build on the same tried and tested formulas; and FPS and RPGs heck look at the lables we attribute to them.

Heck how many remakes of Tetris are there - or Zelda

In the end its a proven working formula for a good game which also earns a company income. In the end it might only offer slight variations and its own community to the pool; for some it will be enough, heck myself I just like the artistic direction difference (more Egyptian/Greek than Warcrafty fantasy).

As for "switching" eh just give the game a go and see how you feel; though if you're a perfectionist you might want to wait a few months, lol and others have had a lot of refining and fine tuning time whilst LoI is very new to the market and thus will need some time to get settled in.

Myself the 2 things I like about it which are different from Lol:

1) characters are persistant for players, so whilst you've your overall account level, your individual characters also have their own levels so a new character not only means new skills and tactics but also starting back nearer the beginning again

2) Less bloated - especially with the in game shop section there is a lot less on offer; no less tactical with builds, but its a lot easier to assess what is on the market during the game and make choices - unlike Lol where you've simply not often the time mid-game to spend ages making the right choice (unless you've memorised the whole inventory).
overread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
LeXu

You know, there are even more DotA "Clones" like Land of Chaos Online and Realm of the Titans.
LeXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
ComradeLenin

Don't forget Avalon Heroes.
ComradeLenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
SakuyaFM

Don't forget Avalon Heroes and Realm of the Titans, oh and there are rumors of a Warhammer MOBA (not 40K).
SakuyaFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Darthmarf

Demigod also...in fact I think I need to go dig that up from wherever it's buried.
Darthmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
SakuyaFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmarf View Post
Demigod also...in fact I think I need to go dig that up from wherever it's buried.
Demigod was fun, but I don't even know if it's still alive. Last I played, they released Oculus and that tiger assassin dude...
SakuyaFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
MithranArkanere

Because it will probably sell.

When you can afford it you make make something new, and when you want cash you make more of the same.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
Xirvus.rei

I'm so glad that DotA 2 is coming out. By Icefrog. Because it means I can just stick to DotA.. for my DotA fix.
Xirvus.rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
Triptrippen

I'd say also keep in mind that dota was far from the first 'moba'
Triptrippen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Rise of Immortals