Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #121
chrischameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarecoming4u View Post
For starters, you need to calm down. Part of the very problem that id Software is trying to tackle is people going in and disabling particular features or settings, altering or diminishing their experience. And too often people will simply go in, max out the settings and get upset when their £500 graphics card doesn't run at 80fps.

It's 2011 and it's about time PC gaming started to evolve. Why do we have to manually hunt down specifically optimised drivers for each major release? Drivers should auto-update seamlessly. Why do we have to specify settings like anti-aliasing, shadow quality and SSAO when we have no experience of the engine? It would make more sense for a developer to define performance criteria and use a benchmarking technology - like WinSAT or 3DMark - to get the most out of a system. And it would prevent people using settings that adversely affect their experience, either by being too high and running poorly, or by running at a low setting when the system is capable of more.

PC gaming isn't about being better than everyone else. It's about the quality of the experience. The last thing I'd want is to spend a huge amount of time developing a game and to then have gamers change the config on auto-pilot. At the moment I have to go in and change settings because games don't even attempt to auto-detect settings - often they're not even at the right resolution. I mean, seriously? And if I've got an awesome rig then why doesn't it even consider adding anti-aliasing when it's clever enough to auto-detect 'High' or 'Ultra' settings?

Just because we used to it doesn't mean it's right. But as I said, I'll reserve judgement until I've actually tried it out myself.
You're kidding me right?

I build my gaming rigs with parts that I choose, I do not let some auto feature tell me what I can or cannot do with my rig.

That to me is the best "quality of experience"; me being able to choose what I want, when I want it.

That's why I like simulations which to me are where games, whether they be console games or PC games, are eventually heading.

Social games will be with us forever but solid "meat and potato" games are heading toward simulations, which is great for everyone of us.
chrischameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #122
Gvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
This is disappointing. I am perfectly fine with 40fps or so and I want to turn stuff like depth of field and motion blur off.

Hopefully this causes an uproar and they change it via a patch.
I hope for this as well, because I'll most likely buy the game at that point.
Gvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #123
wazups 2x

This is terrible news. I definitely won't be purchasing until this is changed. I want full control over my graphics options.

id has gone crazy.
wazups 2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #124
colorado

This is really, really, stupid. I like to turn stuff like motion blur and bloom off out of personal preference. I don't know if Rage will have that problem, but it sucks to not have the option.

Hopefully people will figure out how to do it manually within a few days...kind of like they did with Dead Island.

Last edited by colorado: 10-03-2011 at 09:45 PM.
colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #125
enemyofportal

Banned
, it's really true after all. it's outRageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crap.
enemyofportal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #126
kornswag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigg1es View Post
I don't know the most about the tech stuff, but I'm fairly certain the UE3 engine we have now is not the same as the UE3 engine from years ago...
The engine has definitely gotten better, I can attest to that, but the fact that it still has 8 year old hardware to work with... there is only so much an engine can do with 512mb of video ram. A ing joke if you ask me, the least thing they could do is start selling dev consoles with 1gb video ram.
kornswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #127
czerro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg5150 View Post
So if I hook my PC up to my TV any game that doesn't have a 30 or 60 fps cap won't work right?
You don't know what you are talking about. And yes, you are incorrect. Your tv will display at an fps that is comparable to the resolution you are using OR display nothing at all. IE you can't play a game at 200 fps on your PC and play it at 200 fps on your tv. That's not how tv's work. They have very specific video modes, which is why all console games are designed as progressive 30fps or interlaced 60fps. Which is why Rage is 60 fps and the Doom reboot has been stated by Carmack to be 30fps.
czerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #128
czerro

Edit: weird numbers to pick eh? Unless of course this is to make the engine more compliant with tv video mode standards...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #129
fuv

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by czerro View Post
Edit: weird numbers to pick eh? Unless of course this is to make the engine more compliant with tv video mode standards...
You've never heard of PAL then?
fuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #130
czerro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuv View Post
You've never heard of PAL then?
I was talking from NTSC here. The point is that the engine was designed to work with video modes. Tell me what your console version of PAL RAGE runs at. It runs at at PAL video modes. 24fps? The engine is designed for video mode compatibility was the point I was making. PAL is obviously a video mode, and yes, your version is less than NTSC on a TV.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #131
scubs

ID was outdone by a indie developer:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7...1100400001.jpg

that game is Hard Reset.. Great game with TONs of options. heck the demo even has a video/gpu benchmark in the game!

i cannot believe what i'm seeing.

Last edited by scubs: 10-03-2011 at 11:31 PM.
scubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #132
BobsYurUncle

that's funny. I get 30fps with complete freezes every 5 seconds.

720p on a 6950 and a i5 2500k
BobsYurUncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE