Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cat and the Coup, The

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
DahDoctow

Question Game Error

Whenever I start The Cat and the Coup, it shows the startup text with "press space to start" perfectly fine. However, when I go and press space it exits and an error message pops up that says "Hardware failed to switch to specified mode". Afterwards it plays the game's audio, but with no visuals. I was completely stunned by this as my laptop is fairly new, my laptop is a Windows Vista.

So before I go to the Steam support, I thought it suitable to ask the community forums first.

So what do you think?

Last edited by DahDoctow: 08-08-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
rawrzleface

I have the same problem, and it is really quite annoying...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
peterbrinson

a possible fix

What resolution do you guys have your monitors set to before you get this problem?

I just learned about someone solving this problem by changing their monitor to its native resolution. They changed it from 1280x768 to 1366x768.

It is true that the game does take a look at your current resolution before choosing a fullscreen resolution for the game. I'm not convinced that having the native resolution active is essential, but there are so many configuration of Windows machines out there, it's hard to know what's going on here.

At minimum try a higher or different resolution before launching the game and see if it behaves differently...or properly.

Thanks for playing.

-Peter

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cat and the Coup, The