Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
FrozenSketch

Some feedback about the demo

I originally posted this on the game's forums themselves for developer feedback, but I thought I'd share it with you guys anyways. Feel free to add some feedback as well.

Robot Entertainment, you guys have created a stellar game. I haven't had this much fun with a single player game in so long. The depth and tactics coupled with the fast paced action is really eye-opening. I took the time to create an account on here to provide some feedback because a couple small things would make this game even better.

Timer: There's gotta be one somewhere. There's really no reason that I should have to know that I failed to get 5 skulls after the dance animation. It makes a difference for gameplay too; changing tactics based on timing seems extremely viable.

UI: This is a more general complaint and probably harder to fix. But, maybe, I'm a special case. Seeing my health/energy is near impossible in the middle of the action. I play on a 23" monitor and I have to turn my head to see it. There was a some sort of UI option in the demo, but I couldn't tell what it did and it didn't solve the problem. Putting everything much closer to the weapons/traps bar would be more ideal, rather than having different pieces of information scattered on all corners of the screen. Condensation seems like it would be optimal, but it's hard to say without actually playing with one.

The Fork is broken: You guys might already know about this one, but the wind spell on the Fork breaks the level. If you just go up against the wall and time the pushes right, you can push the orcs off the map. Seems like the collisions are broken back there. Sadly, I still can't 5 skull this level even though it's so easy to exploit. Just have to keep playing.

Camera when placing traps: If you could rotate the camera when putting down traps, it would make things so much easier. Holding down right click and then moving the mouse when you're about to place a trap to move the camera would be a good way to implement this.

From what I can see right now, there are two really important things that need to be implemented if the game is to become one of the best ever and most replayable. I'm impatient and don't want to wait for a sequel to come out for these things, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Multiplayer: I know that you know about it, but OH MY GOD, this game is too perfect for multiplayer. A lot of games have multiplayer tacked on (which I know you guys are trying to avoid) but it's perfect here. 4 person coop, 2 on 2 duels, the possibilities are almost endless. Speaking of endless, 4 player endless mode. Nuff said.

Modding support: Once again, this game is something that a community can form around just from level creation. Modding this game would be a dream. More importantly, having some sort of in game level downloader similar to LittleBigPlanet would be the icing on the cake.

Just some food for thought. Hope this was helpful to you all. Once again, well done on the game. I can't wait til October 12!

EDIT: A couple of other things I noticed:

Stats: Here is a screenie of the stats screen after game. What in the heck does that 494 mean besides the completion time? Doesn't seem consistant with the rest of that column. Another interesting stat to look at would be total headshots. One last tiny thing here, you should sum up the combat and trap kills for a total kills field, but that's just cause I'm lazy :P.

Leaderboard: The most annoying thing about the leaderboard is that it doesn't have a scroll bar. Maybe that doesn't fit into a console control scheme, but you gotta do your PC peeps some justice. Another neat feature would be to have sub-leaderboards for each level like highest combo or longest killstreak. But that might be a bit much at this point as well. What can I say, I'm a dreamer.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series