Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
SixOkay

Robot Entertainment
Support FAQ - UPDATED December 1, 2011

In an effort to help keep support moving smoothly, we'll be compiling a list of questions and answers as they come into the forums. If you're having a problem, please read through this first post (we'll keep it updated) or post your question in this thread.

Thanks!
Orcs Must Die! Technical FAQ

UPDATED 12-01-2011
  • Added Question #11 and #12
  • Updated Question #6

1. I'm getting a "Failed to Initialize Engine" error when I try to start the game. What's up?

A. The most recent patch should fix this for most players. If you still experience this problem, there are a few things to discuss on this one, so let's jump in:
  • Is this your first time starting up the game?
    • If this problem happens the first time you start the game, then one possibility is that your video card doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for your graphics card. You can see the min specs here. We'll say it again down below, but it's worth noting now that the game does not support SVGA drivers.
    • Go into your Windows Device Manager and ensure that your integrated video card (if you have one) is disabled. If you feel certain it is, try double-checking. It can't hurt.
    • If you're absolutely certain that you meet the minimum specifications and you're getting this error, then we recommend that you reinstall your video drivers.
    • Done all of that? Still getting the error? There's a chance that something is wrong with your Dx9 or MSVC installations. Follow the instructions below to manually install these again (don't use the web installers):
      • These files will be installed as part of the game install. If you need to reinstall only Dx9 then you can go the directory that steam installed the game to and install it directly from the installer directory.
      • The directoy will look something like this - ##WhereEverSteamIsInstalled##\Steamapps\common\orc s must die!\Installer - For most installs this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\orcs must die!\installer.
      • Find dxsetup.exe and run it by double-clicking on the file. If this files are missing you should reinstall the game. When asked, accept the agreement and let the installer complete. This should install the version of DirectX that is needed by the game.To install the MSVC runtime look for the vcredist_x86.exe installer and run it by double-clicking on the file. If this files are missing you should reinstall the game.
  • Did the game work with one graphics card but not another? Are you switching/trying different cards?
    • There's a chance that you have a settings file that is keeping odd settings from one of the cards. Try deleting your videosettings.xml file.
      • This file will be in your local current user’s "My Documents" folder, under the "Orcs Must Die" directory.
      • The directory will look something like this - C:\Documents and Settings\##CurrentUserName##\My Documents\Orcs Must Die\ - The ‘##CurrentUserName##’ portion will be whatever name you are currently logged in as. This will be on the install drive for your operating system.
      • Find the file named VideoSetting.xml. Delete this file.Relaunch the game. The file will be automatically recreated when the game launches.
  • Are you using SVGA drivers?
    • The game does not support SVGA drivers. There's an outside chance that you might be running them and not even know it, so please double check just to be certain.

2. I've downloaded the game from Steam, but it won't launch when I try to open it?

A. This seems to happen when some files haven't properly downloaded. To check this, follow these instructions:
  • In Steam, right click on the game's title.
  • Select "Properties"
  • Click on the "Local Files" tab.
  • Click on the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." button.
  • This should identify and replace any missing files, and your game should work after the fix.

3. My character/enemies don’t render correctly! What’s going on?

A. Seeing onyl the tops of heads sticking out of the ground? This may happen on machines that are below minimum specifications, especially single-core machines. If your machine meets the minimum specifications, make sure you’re not forcing the game to only use one core.

4. I’m seeing black boxes on flaming arrows and other graphics glitches. What should I do?

A. This may occur on certain graphics cards. If it does, lower the graphics details slider in the options.

5. I got an error that says “Failed to correctly load data files. Please validate the game data files.” What should I do?

A. Data for the game has been corrupted. Please uninstall and reinstall the game.

6. Can I switch to French AZERTY Keyboard or do custom keybinding?

A. You can customize this by creating a user.cfg file. Here are instructions to set up predefined keyboard layouts appropriately:
  • Navigate to D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\orcs must die!\data\startup\ and create a text file called user.cfg
  • Edit user.cfg and add options from the list below to change your settings:
    • KeyboardLayout="AZERTY"KeyboardLayout=”QWERTY”
      KeyboardLayout=”QWERTZ”
      • Use one of these to override the locale selection that the game is using to pick your keyboard layout. Setting this will force the game to use the layout that you specify in user.cfg

If you'd rather fully customize your keyboard layout, you may do that using our key binding/mapping in the user.cfg. Instructions for how to do that can be found here.

7. When I use the alternate fire on the Bladestaff, the game crashes out.

A. This issue should be fixed by one of the early patches, but if not, then follow these steps (assuming that you're running on an nVidia card):
  • Open the nVidia Control Panel and click on "Manage 3D Settings"
  • Then add orcsmustdie.exe
  • Scroll down until you find "SLI rendering mode" and set this to "Force alternate frame rendering 1" and accept the warning that pops upClick Apply

(thanks to Chris for this solution)

8. My game is picking up my kills from the Demo and I want to start fresh. What do I do?

A. To clear out your career kills in the game, you'll want to start a new profile in the full version of the game. Continuing with your demo profile will keep the career kill count from your demo playthroughs.

9. I pre-ordered the game, but my Knight of the Order DLC isn't showing up in the game? How could you do this to me? I thought we were friends? Can I fix it?

A. Yep! This was part of a larger issue across Steam that just happened to line up with our launch date. We're definitely sorry about the mess, but we talked with Valve about how people can fix this issue, and here's what they told us.

If you delete this file - <steamfolder>\appcache\appinfo.vdf - and restart Steam, the missing DLC problem should fix itself and your costume should show up properly.

10. Some of my achievements are being wonky. What's going on there?

A. It does apear that there are a couple of problems with some Steam achievements. It also appears, however, that there is some confusion about a couple of others. Here's the rundown currently:
  • Tunnel Vision and No Traps for You - Using pre-placed and environmental traps like Boom Barrels, rolling logs, Acid Pots, etc, will count as traps used. This can affect the awarding (or not awarding) of these achievements. Non-damage traps like Barricades and Tar Traps will also count as additional traps toward/against these achievements.

11. My graphics card is running very hot or overheating.

A. You can use user.cfg to cap the framerate of the game. This generally seems to help with people having this issue with graphics cards that are above minspec. Instructions for using "user.cfg" to customize your frame rate:
  • If you have already setup a user.cfg file, navigate to where it is on your computer and skip to step 3. If you haven't setup a user.cfg file yet, then proceed to step 2.
  • Navigate to D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\orcs must die!\data\startup\ (or wherever your Steam files are located) and create a text file called user.cfg (make sure you're not creating user.cfg.txt, as this is a common error on this step)
  • Edit user.cfg and add options from the list below to change your settings:
    • forceFPS=X
      • Set X to the maximum framerate you want to run at (for example: forceFPS=30)

12. Can I run in Windowed Mode?

A. Yes. You can use the user.cfg file to force the game to run in windowed mode. Here's how:[*]If you have already setup a user.cfg file, navigate to where it is on your computer and skip to step 3. If you haven't setup a user.cfg file yet, then proceed to step 2.[*]Navigate to D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\orcs must die!\data\startup\ (or wherever your Steam files are located) and create a text file called user.cfg (make sure you're not creating user.cfg.txt, as this is a common error on this step)[*]Edit user.cfg and add options from the list below to change your settings:
  • window
    • This will force the game to run in Windowed Mode. Currently we don’t have a way to move the window around/reposition it. We did this mainly as an option for people that want to run windowed mode but full screen.

13. Does this game support modding?

A. As of a recent patch, Orcs Must Die! on PC supports the customization of enemy waves, starting money, and other attributes to customize your experiences on existing levels in the game. Details about how to use this functionality are here.

14. I bought the game, but when I try to run it, I get a Steam error message that says "Game Unavailable." How can I play?

A. We aren't sure what is causing this, but we are sure that it's not anything on our end. We've reached out to Steam for support on this, and they indicated that they have seen this issue. Their recommended fix it to verify your file cache (instructions for that are up in #1 on this list). Sometimes you may need to verify more than once. For most people, this problem seems to just clear up on it's own after a little while, though we have seen it take a couple of days in some cases. If you've tried verifying your files and that isn't fixing the problem, please reach out to Steam support to see if they can help you find alternative solutions.

Last edited by SixOkay: 12-01-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Bmeist

Thanks six, unfortunately I have tried all of the suggestions and still getting the error. I deleted the videosettings.xml that was created when I got into the game using integrated graphics. When I switch to the ATI 6990m, I get the error and this file is NOT recreated.

If you need me to try anything I would be happy to. Is there a debug log I could enable somehow? Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
SixOkay

Robot Entertainment
Just so everyone knows, we're NOT done looking at the Failed to Initialize issue. The steps above should help a lot of people, but we're continuing to dig into it. More updates as we have them.
SixOkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Crzyrndm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOkay View Post
4. I got an error that says &ldquo;Failed to correctly load data files. Please validate the game data files.&rdquo; What should I do?

A. Data for the game has been corrupted. Please uninstall and reinstall the game.
Deleting the build file fixed this one, and it's only a few MB instead of a GB.
Crzyrndm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Miss Marvel

I too have been getting "Failed to Initialize Engine" error.
I've tried what was listed above. And everything is up to date!

Still getting the error when trying to start up the game.

I'm also running ATI 6990m.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Poke smot

Tried all of that, still not working =/
Poke smot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Yohnas

Hi, i have tried all of the above and i still get "Failed to initialize the engine" on all of my starts.

The fun thing i have tried is deactivating my graphics card and letting the i7 do the graphics: It worked! It worked poorly, but the game itself started.

I don't know if it's useful, but i got you a dxdiag of my system:

http://pastebin.de/19248

(If you could use anything else just tell me)

EDIT: (I just searched the robotentertainment.com forums and found the following
Quote:
"Failed to Initialize Engine" if you have two videocards in your notebook
press windows + pause
open device manager
open graphic cards
desactivate the one which you don't use (integrated)
Thanks to abissis for correcting
This did the trick for me!

Last edited by Yohnas: 10-09-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Poke smot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohnas View Post

EDIT: (I just searched the robotentertainment.com forums and found the following

Quote:
"Failed to Initialize Engine" if you have two videocards in your notebook
press windows + pause
open device manager
open graphic cards
desactivate the one which you don't use (integrated)
Thanks to abissis for correcting

This did the trick for me!
This worked for me too

Thanks.
Poke smot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Manach

Quote:
5. Can I switch to French AZERTY Keyboard?

A. If you set your Steam preferred language to French, the game will use the AZERTY keyboard layout. Any other language uses QWERTY. If you want to play the game in English and you are using an AZERTY keyboard, you'll have to set your default keyboard layout to English (you can do this in the windows "Text Services and Input Languages" dialog) before launching the game.
My windows is french, but using an english setup. My Steam is setup in english as well, and into the option, your game is setup as English as well.

Still, when I load the game, it use the AWERTY setup.

I can't change my keyboard setting in game, as I only one setup for my keyboard in Windows. Could you look into this?

For me, the demo is currently unplayable, control wise.
Manach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
g33kMoZzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
My windows is french, but using an english setup. My Steam is setup in english as well, and into the option, your game is setup as English as well.

Still, when I load the game, it use the AWERTY setup.

I can't change my keyboard setting in game, as I only one setup for my keyboard in Windows. Could you look into this?

For me, the demo is currently unplayable, control wise.
There are two threads about this issue in the first page.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2163526
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2164746
g33kMoZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Manach

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kMoZzY View Post
Thanks, but those are for keyboard shown on AZERTY. As explained, the game see it as AWERTY.

The game is able to see the W at the correct location, but not the letters Q-A. The W and Z aren't mix on my side.
Manach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
g33kMoZzY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
Thanks, but those are for keyboard shown on AZERTY. As explained, the game see it as AWERTY.

The game is able to see the W at the correct location, but not the letters Q-A. The W and Z aren't mix on my side.
Oh, that sounds strange, but what kind of keyboard layout do you have atm in "Text Services and Input Languages", and have you tried with a different one?
g33kMoZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
ackley

I was going to pre-order this game until I read:

Quote:
2. My character/enemies don";t render correctly! What";s going on?

A. Seeing onyl the tops of heads sticking out of the ground? This may happen on machines that are below minimum specifications, especially single-core machines. If your machine meets the minimum specifications, make sure you";re not forcing the game to only use one core.
So a game that doesn't even ATTEMPT to allow single core computers to play? You gotta be kidding me. Are there ANY plans of letting a single core play this?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Smeggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackley View Post
I was going to pre-order this game until I read:

So a game that doesn't even ATTEMPT to allow single core computers to play? You gotta be kidding me. Are there ANY plans of letting a single core play this?
Might be worth waiting a bit, this issue may already be fixed. A patch was released a couple hours ago that's fixed at least 2 of the problems I've heard of (one of which I'd been experiencing).
Smeggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
ackley

Quote:
Might be worth waiting a bit, this issue may already be fixed. A patch was released a couple hours ago that's fixed at least 2 of the problems I've heard of (one of which I'd been experiencing).
Was one of them the heads stuck in the floor with models not rendering?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Orcs Must Die! series