Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Clive Barker's Jericho

Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Nova225

Crash at Main Menu.

I had an urge to play this game again, so I redownloaded it off of Steam. Only problem is that it crashes at the main menu after all the FMV's have played. Literally, the split second I see "Jericho" across the top, it crashes with the classic "Windows has encountered a problem..." error.

What's most troubling is that it used to work in the past.

Core 2 Duo E6750
2 GB RAM
8800 GTS 320
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
TheOD

Firstly, did you try verifying the game cache?
Secondly, did you upgrade your drivers to the lastest version or reinstalling those drivers, or alternatively, rolled back to whatever set of drivers you were using back when it worked to see if that was the cause?
Thirdly, have you tried reinstalling the game (you probably did that, as it is the most obvious one)?

Also, certain softwares can conflict with different games, this is one of the downsides of pc gaming, in that there's so many possiblities it's a little hard to make compatible for everyone, if not impossible, for example, TF2 used to dislike Avast! Anti-virus, that was obviously fixed, and obviously not everyone who had that suffered from it, but it's still a decent example (or was it AVG it had troubles with? I can't remember), another example would be Mass Effect generally disliking PowerDVD, causing it to stutter and lag so much it's almost unplayable (probably a better example as Mass Effect dislikes a lot of different drivers and softwares, doesn't make it a bad game, but it is frustrating for a lot of people).
I couldn't tell you where to start if that was that though, probably your anti-virus or firewall, something. You probably shouldn't worry too much about that though since chances are this isn't the problem at all.
TheOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
fury_161

I know this thread is ancient, but I am having the same issue. Anyone know of a potential solution? Post above is not very helpful, the advice is too vague.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
djZM

I haven't had this issue, but try like the guy said and exit any applications that may be running in the background that don't need to be there. Also, I would suggest running MSCONFIG from the Start->Run menu, and removing all of the programs in the "startup" tab that are unneccessary, and under the "services" tab, remove anything that's not run by Microsoft or any other respectable 3rd party company, i.e., programs and services you absolutely never need running, which could be a possible conflict with the game.
djZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
kpsnnf

IM HERE TO HELP YOU ALL :P

i was having this very crappy error, until i remembered that most games come with a directx version that work with them, so i suggest you find the directx setup file that should be in the directory, and install it, even if it is a years old version, it made mine work, and will most likely make yours work!
kpsnnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Raefzm

Banned
I have the same problem. When trying to validate cache however, I get the message

" 2 files failed to validate and will be reacquired"
Raefzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Rallymen007

Download and install PhysX from nVidia (the latest version is 9) and it should fix startup errors.
Rallymen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
fran24

Same problem, worked in the past then uninstalled and reinstalled (I also messed with savefiles) and it won't work anymore.
Same error after titles.
fran24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
thedarkcloak

Having the same problem.

FMV's play, then just before it gets to the menu it crashes back to the desktop.

Has anybody figured out a sure fire way to fix this yet?

Keep finding inconsistent information.
thedarkcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
s3rial_thrill3r

I have to say that I'm having the same problem as everyone else. It crashes right after the opening cutscenes finish. I even had that "2 files failed to validate and will be reacquired" message after verifying integrity.

I fear this may end up being like the time I tried to get Kane and Lynch working (complete failure and waste of time). It's a shame these games weren't so well-received or else someone probably would have come up with an unofficial patch or something.
s3rial_thrill3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Clive Barker's Jericho