Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evil Genius

Old 01-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Specops

Angry Crash on resolution change

I can play the game without any issues, but that's only when I play at default resolution of 1024x768, and I have a 1280x1024 monitor. Whenever I try to change the resolution (doesn't matter which resolution), the game freezes. Actually only the graphics lock up, sound still plays normally. When I alt-tab out of the game after that, I see an error window: "A D3D object has a non-zero reference count (meaning things were not properly cleaned up)". If I try to start the game up again after that, the opening video plays normally, but after the video it just crashes again with the same error. If I then validate the game cache, it always finds 4 or 5 corrupt files and redownloads them. Then I can play the game again, but the settings always revert to defaults after validating the cache, so there's no way that I can change the resolution. If I try changing it, the same thing happens all over again.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm on 64bit Vista and have a Radeon 4850 graphics card. I've already tried updating the drivers from 10.10 to 10.12, just in case, but it didn't help at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Yanneyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specops View Post
I can play the game without any issues, but that's only when I play at default resolution of 1024x768, and I have a 1280x1024 monitor. Whenever I try to change the resolution (doesn't matter which resolution), the game freezes. Actually only the graphics lock up, sound still plays normally. When I alt-tab out of the game after that, I see an error window: "A D3D object has a non-zero reference count (meaning things were not properly cleaned up)". If I try to start the game up again after that, the opening video plays normally, but after the video it just crashes again with the same error. If I then validate the game cache, it always finds 4 or 5 corrupt files and redownloads them. Then I can play the game again, but the settings always revert to defaults after validating the cache, so there's no way that I can change the resolution. If I try changing it, the same thing happens all over again.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm on 64bit Vista and have a Radeon 4850 graphics card. I've already tried updating the drivers from 10.10 to 10.12, just in case, but it didn't help at all.
I'm having the same problem and it is so irritating! I just bought the game and can't have it run properly!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Jothki

Is your video card capable of resolution scaling given your setup? You might need to change the cable to your monitor, I had trouble with the game until I did that. I was getting a different error, though.
Jothki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evil Genius